A Documentation on the Transition from Clay Litter to Tofu Cat Litter for my boy

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update

It has been quite awhile since I've posted and today is maintenance day which was long overdue.

My boy started the transition on the 11th October 2022 and it's already March 2023. He's been taking on the new litter pretty well and I think he prefers the thinner ones rather than the thicker ones. I guess the thinner ones feels more like the old Clay Litter when he steps on them and less likely will stick between his toes.

So I finished using the thicker ones and ordered more thinner ones. Supposedly to do litterbox maintenance every month but have been short of time and so I just top up the litter for him.
Well, today, finally I have the time to do it and got it done and time taken for the job was around 45 minutes. Below are the pictorial comments on the process.

View attachment 445099

View attachment 445100

View attachment 445101

View attachment 445102

View attachment 445103

View attachment 445104

View attachment 445105

View attachment 445106

View attachment 445107

View attachment 445109

View attachment 445108

As for the remarks of non clumped litter to fall off, actual fact is that broken clumped litter will also fall off but is easily picked up with a spoon and also soiled litter are easily identified as they are a little swollen in size due to the absorption of pee and also poop marks on the lighter litter and all the standby litter are all light colored with only two bags of grey ones left.

So clearing of litter clump on a normal day is now a breeze as compared to before when using Bentonite Clay Litter. We are both happy customers :bunnydance:
You do not completely dump all of the litter and start fresh?
If I remember correctly you are in Australia?? But just curious, what brand did you end up going with?

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also it seems like you are able to take a lot of time to maintain.
In a household with 3 cats and 4 boxes where I’m only scooping once a day, sometimes every other day cause life happens!
from your experience, would Ibe in for a mess not having a ton of time to spend with it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You do not completely dump all of the litter and start fresh?
If I remember correctly you are in Australia?? But just curious, what brand did you end up going with?
I did not do a 100% change of litter. I sprinkled some new litter over the old one and gradually increased the amount day by day and try to get a good mixture of old and new at different level of the old litterbox so that when he digs, he'll feel the Clay Litter.
So each time I clear his pee or poo clump, I clear off a little more of the Clay Litter than usual and top up with the new litter and also added more to where the pee clump was cleared. His Clay Litter is 4 inches high. Gradually the clay litter will become less and the new litter will be more.

I'm not from Australia, I'm in Singapore.

I tested 3 different brands (there are too many brands out there and I don't think I'm able to test them all), of different scents and sizes and eventually settled for one brand which I find is the best among the 3.

Different countries carry different brands and many get from manufacturers wholesale and repack and rebrand it. I think you can find out what brands your retailers in your country carries and do a review search on their products.

Also it seems like you are able to take a lot of time to maintain.
In a household with 3 cats and 4 boxes where I’m only scooping once a day, sometimes every other day cause life happens!
from your experience, would Ibe in for a mess not having a ton of time to spend with it?
Honestly, I would say it's a breeze now and I spend much less time scooping and clearing the litterbox now as compared to the time when my boy is using Bentonite Clay Litter. I scoop once a day (I have only one cat). This is a daily chore and if you keep up with it, it is pretty easy even with 4 boxes. Sometimes if my boy pees late in the day, I leave it and clear it the next day with the other clump. If there's already a pee clump in the box and he poops, I'll clear both at once. Maximum I leave 3 clumps in the box before I scoop due to if my boy drinks a lot or I that particular day I don't have that much time to do it.

The other thing is if you have a bigger box, and clear the litter religiously, the litter will last a longer time. If many pee stained or pee soaked litter are left behind, the litter won't last long.

That's why it's important to get the right type of litter.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be curious to know if the tofu litter would work in a litter robot.
The one I ran into on Amazon specifically said that it was not to be used with a litter robot.

tabbytom tabbytom , the tofu litter I ran across said that it's about 29% bentonite, which is how it clumps. Yet it also said it was flushable. Is there bentonite in the litter you'e using, and has it caused any problems with your toilet?

Margret

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The one I ran into on Amazon specifically said that it was not to be used with a litter robot.

tabbytom tabbytom , the tofu litter I ran across said that it's about 29% bentonite, which is how it clumps. Yet it also said it was flushable. Is there bentonite in the litter you'e using, and has it caused any problems with your toilet?

Margret
There's no bentonite clay mentioned on the packing.
IMG_4164.jpg

And there's no silica dust mentioned in their order page. I have no problems flushing the litter down the toilet. I let it soak in the toilet bowl for awhile if its a small clump before flushing. If it's a big clump, I'll spray water over it to soften the litter to make sure it's sort of broken up and and wait awhile longer before flushing. So far no problems for my toilet.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll keep looking online, see if I can find one that doesn't include bentonite.

Margret

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Margret
If it has any clay in it, I'd have to probably pass on it. Delilah had a reaction to clay and chewed her paws until the skin was pink under her white fur. When we went to crystal, it stopped.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If it has any clay in it, I'd have to probably pass on it. Delilah had a reaction to clay and chewed her paws until the skin was pink under her white fur. When we went to crystal, it stopped.
As far as I know and during the clean up on my side, it does not seem to have clay in it. Clay is very difficult to clean off the scoop and litterbox if the litter is wet or have been soaking for awhile. So far when I scoop the litter, the litter is easily wiped off with a dry tissue as compared to the last time my boy was using clay litter and I just use a wet disposable towel to wipe and clean the base of the litterbox where the litter was scooped and no problem wiping off.

So in my case, the litter my boy is using I can say that there is no clay in them.