a chair recliner isn't dangerous if no one touches it, is it?

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put a paper sign on my basic recliner that says "don't touch; don't use chair; (cat usually underneath)." It is a recliner chair in the living room that no one ever uses. Are recliners still dangerous if no one touches nor uses them except the cat?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Are recliners still dangerous if no one touches nor uses them except the cat?
Recliners are dangerous to cats as they often hide under it where recliners have lots of space under it so that the mechanism can work in all that space.

A cat may be trapped under if they crawl deep into it but if they are just resting beneath the recliner, it is probably quite safe. So if just normal resting and just only the cat is using it, should be safe but please take no chances. Some people can't read signs or take instructions.

You can pile up something that is cumbersome to move but safe for the cat and place it on the recliner so that no one will think twice removing it and sitting on it.

Not sure if the other thing to do is turn the recliner upside down and lock up the reclining mechanism with a strong rope or heavy duty cable tie and having done that, it still can be used to sit down except that it won't recline anymore and it'll be safe for the cat. Just check periodically that the parts that are tied down is secured.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby uses (or used to) our recliner all the time, but on top of the raised foot portion and only occasionally beneath it. I even leave the foot up while I am gone in case she wants to get on it in my absence. But, I live in a two-person household, so do not have to worry about others trying to use it. Even when Feeby weighed in at 18.5 pounds, jumping on and off of it never dislodged the foot portion from staying up. Maybe I've been lucky, but I have never thought it to potentially harmful. If your sign is big enough, I would certainly hope there is no way someone could miss it!!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a solution. I just went thru this.

We bought two electric recliners with attached seats. The recliners are set in the position we want and then unplugged. The foot rests cant be retracted unless plugged back in. The cats are absolutely safe.

Its very difficult to get in and out of a recliner if its extended and if it retracts when you get up, it can be deadly or crippling to pets.

we can use the seat beside our recliners allows us to slide over and get up.

The set was bought at about 10cents on the dollar from someone who had to move.

Now.......... all that careful planning went out the window literally ten minutes after we got the recliners....greg and arnold claimed them as theirs.

See picture:

Screenshot_2020-02-02-12-57-44-1.png

Screenshot_2020-02-02-12-58-00-1.png

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in that category. I have a recliner, but never recline in it. I use a footstool instead. The reason I don't recline is that I don't like the way the head part goes back, almost until I'm lying down. Then I couldn't see the TV. But I needed the chair when I had back problems.

Mingo did love to sleep under it, but he doesn't do it very often anymore. I can imagine it would be dangerous if I reclined.