9mnth Kitten Squinting + Eye Boogers

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
95272465-E448-44B3-9F67-8EC3931A0CA6.jpeg
6612B9DD-C0C4-4952-B282-D40AE1993533.jpeg
C521A05A-EE59-44A2-A6B1-839D01DACE94.jpeg
So my kitten has now started squinting her left eye and her right eye is all fine and bright. However, her left eye is always squinting and it’s been like that since today and yesterday. I thought it was because she was getting sleepy/woke up from sleep but that wouldn’t last for as long as it is now. Plus it isn’t a bit red.

Her appetite is alright and she’s not been extra sleepy but it is something.

I took pictures of her looking up and there’s a bit of redness and squintiness

Is there anything I can do before calling the vet on Monday?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and she’s never been in contact with cats despite planning to if you’ve read previous posts. She’s been fully vaccinated and was given full health bill by vet a week after spay in September. She’s also an inside cat and hasn’t been out since October

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's possible she got something in her eye, just like WE do, only we have the option of trying to get it out of our eyes, and cats don't really have a good way of doing that other than rubbing against things, which can make it worse She also could have scratched her eye. Kittens will be kittens!

It's really impossible to say what it might be, but perhaps there is something in these threads that might help:

Squinting Kitten

Eye Squint?

Courtforshort27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This could very well be feline conjunctivitis, also known as cat herpes. My 13 year old cat has this as well, and she has never came in contact with other cats. They can get it during birth or in the womb (can’t remember which one) from their mother. She never had this issue until our house burnt down when she was about 8 years old and she barely made it out alive. I am so thankful to still have her. Turns out, I found out through research that it can flare up in times of stress. We have tried all sorts of eye oitments and they didn’t seem to do much good. I came across a supplement called L-Lysine ( you can order on amazon ) and I sprinkle a little bit on her food each day and it has worked wonders. She went from having weepy, squinting eyes every day to not having a flare up in almost 2 years!

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm booking an appointment for tomorrow morning as it's come back. It had improved by the next day but this evening, (23:07 right now UK time), it was almost closed and her third eyelid was out more. Imagine the picture upthread but a lot redder. She's rubbing at it a lot more as well unlike the last time

Is there anything I can do to just relieve her some pain in the morning or get her to stop rubbing?

Courtforshort27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure of anything you could do to help with the pain and her rubbing it. Maybe take a clean, warm damp wash cloth and wipe her eyes. I hope her vet appointment goes well!

Courtforshort27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
668D9F45-CED0-45E0-AF64-659C8AAB9671.jpeg
I found a picture of my kitty with a flare up of her conjunctivitis, and it looks so similar to your girl. I hope you were able to find something out at the vet today.

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 270408 I found a picture of my kitty with a flare up of her conjunctivitis, and it looks so similar to your girl. I hope you were able to find something out at the vet today.
Aww, bless her. They do look a bit alike

So, we went to the vets today and they basically said it's conjunctivitis but of the bacterial kind so we've been given chloramphenicol to take for 5 days and if she's not got better then we need to take her back but I've got high hopes

Courtforshort27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yay! If it’s bacterial then that mean it should go away and she won’t have issues later on with it :)