Eye Squint?

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten, Iris, has had a squint since yesterday. It's just in her left eye, not both eyes. There is some clear discharge, too. She doesn't squint all day, but frequent enough that I'm a little concerned. She seems to be squinting more often today. Her nose was also a little runny yesterday, but not very much. Not sure if that's related.

I called the vet. They told me that I could give her some Zyrtec, to see if it helps. And that they'd call me to check up on her tomorrow.

I'm not completely sure Zyrtec would help. If she hurt her eye or if it's viral, the Zyrtec would be a waste of time, right?

So what I'm wondering is, is there a way to tell for sure if it's viral, or trauma related, or conjunctivitis, etc, by just looking at the eye? Like if it's trauma (she's a kitten - it's possible she hurt her eye while playing), are there any warning signs I should be watching for? I'm worried that if there is something seriously wrong, I may not catch it in time.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even an ophthalmologist would have to carefully examine the eye with a magnifier after using special drops to see a really small injury, they just can't be seen with the naked eye.

MOST of the time, when we are talking about a clear discharge, we're dealing with allergies of some sort, which is why they suggested the Zyrtec. It is also the fastest, easiest way to rule out allergies. If the condition does NOT respond to Zyrtec, then you look for something else. And it wouldn't take long to know, at all. It isn't an actual waste of time, but one step (and certainly the cheapest step) in figuring out just what is going on. AND, in the short time before you might know that Zyrtic does NOT help, it is very unlikely that anything catastrophic would happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I figured that there isn't clear way to tell. I was mostly just wondering if anyone has any tips or warning signs I should be looking for, like swelling or an enlarged pupil or something. I guess I'll just keep an eye on her and see if anything changes.

I gave her the antihistamine. No change so far, but hopefully it'll help her feel better over time. I can tell her eye is really bothering her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: She hasn't been squinting at all in the last few hours, and no discharge either. Yay!! Hopefully it stays that way :D

I'll let the vet know tomorrow. If it's allergy related, I can work on making my place less allergenic.

Thanks for the reassurance about Zyrtec. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are most welcome! It may well be a pollen allergy from something that produces in the fall. Goodness knows there are a LOT of plants that do! My allergy season runs from mid-March to the end of October or beginning of November, depending on the weather!

I'm so glad to hear that she's doing well with the Zyrtec!