9 week old kittens

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I got a pair of sibling kittens on 21st Dec. They were a day off being 9 weeks old.

The girl cat who is much smaller has settled in wonderfully and is very sweet. She's come out of her shell entirely and the only problem she ever had to start with was not eating enough but she eats as much as her brother now.

The boy cat who's a good 300/400g bigger than her has been been a lot more anxious from the start. He had an accident in the car on the way home. Since then 3 poo accidents and 5 wee accidents. I took them for a vet check the day after because he had 3 weeing accidents in the first night despite knowing where the litter tray was, so I was worried about a potential UTI. The vet said his bladder was very full and it was likely he had stressed induced cystitis. He wouldn't let them express his bladder but eventually relieved himself in the corner. She said his urine was clear and that I should incorporate more water into his diet if he's not drinking that much. I also started them on worm meds that night for a total of 3 days. His behaviour has not improved and he's been quite rough when playing with his sister. She's totally fine with it but a lot of times, he's the one who walks away with flatten ears and a fluffy tail. Even when she leaves him alone, he will continue to chase and wrestle her. I know kittens are prone to play and play fighting but I'm not sure if this is contributing to his behaviour problems. He keeps having these accidents, I'm not sure what to do

Here are some of the things I've tried:

Washing and cleaning with vinegar, vinegar and bicarb and enzymic detergent.

Extra litter trays (2 in a small bedroom)

Confining to a small room with lots of toys and comfy bedding

Feliway plug in

Putting on the litter tray when showing signs of digging

I let them out of the small room on the first night since they were desperate to explore and both fell asleep comfortably on my bed until he woke up and had 3 accidents on my bed within a short time frame. Since then they have been back in their nursery and I check in on them regularly, play with them and feed them 3 times day.

Please help. I'm really at the end of my tether.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the litter you might sprinkle on some Cat Attract. You could make your own - it is basically just ground catnip. If he is not drinking enough, you can get something called Hydro Care (something like that that. It is the consistency of heavy cream and VERY palatable. I had it for one of my cats last year but can't remember the exact name.)

I have never had much luck with Feliway either.

For his behavior maybe you could just confine him, give him lots of attention and gradually re-introduce him to his sister as if she were a new cat.I symphathize - I have a male who has always sprayed and I took in another male who now pees on everything even though he uses the box. It is a territory thing for him.

Kitty Prozac has helped my cats some - maybe the vet could prescribe it. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply.

I've been adding Milk and tuna in spring water to their food. They're playing now and I can see his tail is all fluffed up but he was fine before. he ends up darting around and starting on his sister

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I got a pair of sibling kittens on 21st Dec. They were a day off being 9 weeks old.

The girl cat who is much smaller has settled in wonderfully and is very sweet. She's come out of her shell entirely and the only problem she ever had to start with was not eating enough but she eats as much as her brother now.

The boy cat who's a good 300/400g bigger than her has been been a lot more anxious from the start. He had an accident in the car on the way home. Since then 3 poo accidents and 5 wee accidents. I took them for a vet check the day after because he had 3 weeing accidents in the first night despite knowing where the litter tray was, so I was worried about a potential UTI. The vet said his bladder was very full and it was likely he had stressed induced cystitis. He wouldn't let them express his bladder but eventually relieved himself in the corner. She said his urine was clear and that I should incorporate more water into his diet if he's not drinking that much. I also started them on worm meds that night for a total of 3 days. His behaviour has not improved and he's been quite rough when playing with his sister. She's totally fine with it but a lot of times, he's the one who walks away with flatten ears and a fluffy tail. Even when she leaves him alone, he will continue to chase and wrestle her. I know kittens are prone to play and play fighting but I'm not sure if this is contributing to his behaviour problems. He keeps having these accidents, I'm not sure what to do

Here are some of the things I've tried:

Washing and cleaning with vinegar, vinegar and bicarb and enzymic detergent.

Extra litter trays (2 in a small bedroom)

Confining to a small room with lots of toys and comfy bedding

Feliway plug in

Putting on the litter tray when showing signs of digging

I let them out of the small room on the first night since they were desperate to explore and both fell asleep comfortably on my bed until he woke up and had 3 accidents on my bed within a short time frame. Since then they have been back in their nursery and I check in on them regularly, play with them and feed them 3 times day.

Please help. I'm really at the end of my tether.
My vet gave me purina proplan calming care,not sold in store, who knows if it worked. She seems calmer but there could be other reasons. It may also be that he needs a bigger litterbox like a storage bin. And of course lots of attention!

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Thank you for the replies and a quick update...

I kept my kittens in their nursery up until a couple of days ago as they've been eager to explore.

They still play fight a lot but the problem kitten stopped peeing and pooing in random places after I stopped giving him cat milk. I'm assuming it didn't agree with him and it upset his belly. It was all going fine until I bought myself a new duvet today (a really nice one too). He didn't pee on the old duvet or the spot on the mattress but not long after I made the bed with the new duvet, he went and peed on it. I set him right on the litter box right afterwards but it's a really upsetting setback and I'm not sure what to do.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Thank you for the replies and a quick update...

I kept my kittens in their nursery up until a couple of days ago as they've been eager to explore.

They still play fight a lot but the problem kitten stopped peeing and pooing in random places after I stopped giving him cat milk. I'm assuming it didn't agree with him and it upset his belly. It was all going fine until I bought myself a new duvet today (a really nice one too). He didn't pee on the old duvet or the spot on the mattress but not long after I made the bed with the new duvet, he went and peed on it. I set him right on the litter box right afterwards but it's a really upsetting setback and I'm not sure what to do.
Already marking his territory!

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Already marking his territory!
Is he likely to mark all around the house if I let him loose again? I think he's too young to get neutered at the moment

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. As long as he's 2lbs he can get neutered in most places.
I took them for their first jabs yesterday and the vet weighed them and they're still too small. They won't neuter until they're 2kgs which I believe is 4.4lbs. They're back for their second set of jabs in 3 weeks and she said we can weigh them again and check whether they're ready then.

Milk (with the moustache) is 1.2kgs and biscuit, her brother is 1.5kgs.
IMG_20240101_164506_059.jpg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Always good to wait until your vet is comfortable 😊

In the meantime if he pees on the new comforter instead, you might want to get a waterproof sheet for on top of your bed.

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Always good to wait until your vet is comfortable 😊

In the meantime if he pees on the new comforter instead, you might want to get a waterproof sheet for on top of your bed.

I've sprayed something called "wee away" all over my duvet, mattress and cover. He's climbed back into bed with us and I saw him pawing earlier so I put him in the litter tray but he's been curled up with us purring and sleeping. I'm assuming that means he's unlikely to do it again?

The pic shows him curling up and sleeping with us whilst we watched TV.
20240107_145209.jpg

Thanks again for all the help

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I see what looks like a lot of small-claw scratches on your arm - you might start working with them and give them soft toys to play with instead of you, so that they don't get in the habit of biting and scratching you.

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I see what looks like a lot of small-claw scratches on your arm - you might start working with them and give them soft toys to play with instead of you, so that they don't get in the habit of biting and scratching you.
The like to climb up me and chase each other around when I go in their room but they don't really do that when they're running around and playing outside their room.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are now 11 weeks old if you were told their real ages. Kittens should weigh 3 pounds at 12 weeks, which would be this coming Friday, so they are not underweight for their age. I recommend feeding them 5-6 times a day with kitten wet food, and leaving kitten dry food out 24/7 along with a dish of water.

Your little guy sounds like he has experienced separation anxiety from his mom and other litter mates, and needs time to adjust. His peeing behavior sounds like it was acting out from this.

Kittens grow quickly and need to eat frequently for the first year until they are fully grown. Males can continue to grow and fill out for the first 18-24 months. I especially recommend a feeding just before bed time as it will help them to sleep more soundly and for longer.

As mentioned, they are babies and crave closeness and attention. Also, if one or the other kitten plays too rough with the other, break it up or hiss at them. Mother cats will bat at or hiss at their young to teach them manners.

Overall, it sounds like they are finally beginning to adjust a bit better!

Last edited:

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are now 11 weeks old if you were told their real ages. Kittens should weigh 3 pounds at 12 weeks, which would be this coming Friday, so they are a tad underweight for their age. I recommend feeding them 5-6 times a day with kitten wet food, and leaving kitten dry food out 24/7 along with a dish of water.

Your little guy sounds like he has experienced separation anxiety from his mom and other litter mates, and needs time to adjust. His peeing behavior sounds like it was acting out from this.

Kittens grow quickly and need to eat frequently for the first year until they are fully grown. Males can continue to grow and fill out for the first 18-24 months. I especially recommend a feeding just before bed time as it will help them to sleep more soundly and for longer.

As mentioned, they are babies and crave closeness and attention. Also, if one or the other kitten plays too rough with the other, break it up or hiss at them. Mother cats will bat at or hiss at their young to teach them manners.

Overall, it sounds like they are finally beginning to adjust a bit better!
The vet was happy with their weigh in this Friday just gone. 3 pounds is 1.3kg...the smaller one is just over 1.2kg and the bigger one is just over 1.5kg...I slightly confused as to why you think their weight is a problem? I do feed them just before I go to bed and then as soon as I wake up in the morning.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens are adorable! I am curious,is where you got the kittens from are sure that they are 9 weeks. My senior 6.5 pd cat was 2 pds assuming she was 5 wees old. Very small. She ate wellness core