9 week old kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens are adorable! I am curious,is where you got the kittens from are sure that they are 9 weeks. My senior 6.5 pd cat was 2 pds assuming she was 5 wees old. Very small. She ate wellness core
I got them from a breeder, but the vet doesn't seem to think they're less than their age. They're within the normal weight range, so why is everyone here saying they're small for their age. Another poster said they should be 3lbs by the coming Friday, which they already are but also claim they're underweight...

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Posters here are just concerned for your little ones, it is not being critical or judgy of you. They just care for the wellbeing of cats.
I understand but it's like people don't understand kgs and lbs are not the same...I said their weight in kgs and someone said they should be 3lbs next Friday but they are though and then someone else chimed in and asked if they're too young...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes kg and lbs are very different systems. Google has a built in converter if it helps at all. It actualy does sound pretty good to me and if you have the vet saying its good thats great too.

Please get them fixed soon if they aren't already.

1kg = 2.2 lbs for refrence

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes kg and lbs are very different systems. Google has a built in converter if it helps at all. It actualy does sound pretty good to me and if you have the vet saying its good thats great too.

Please get them fixed soon if they aren't already.

1kg = 2.2 lbs for refrence
As I said in a previous post, vet says they're still too small but when they go back for their next batch of jabs, she will weigh them again to see if they're big enough. Fingers crossed because I would like to get them done sooner rather than later too.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi H halpplease

I don't think you need to worry about getting them spayed and neutered right away. You seem to have a good vet and you just have to work with what your vet thinks is best. My vet won't spay or neuter before 5 months either, no matter how much the kittens weigh. People are saying it's OK to have the kittens fixed when they reach 1kg because technically it is. A lot of shelters want to get kittens into new homes while they're still at the cute kitten stage, so they neuter early. However, as your kittens already have a good home there's no rush. If your vet thinks it's better to wait for another month or more that's what you should do.

I think that the accidents your male kitten keeps having aren't really to do with marking his territory. In my opinion he is still to young to be doing that. I've never known any cats start doing that as young as 9 weeks old, it's usually something they start doing after 6 months of age.

So, there weren't any accidents between cutting out the cat milk and getting the new duvet? Was there anything new introduced into his diet recently? When he pees in the wrong place does he start scratching around as if he is digging in the litter box, or does he just pee?

One of my kittens had similar accidents up until she was nearly a year old, always after playing with her "brother", who is a few months younger than her. Could he have been too engrossed in play to realise he needed to use the litter box and then not had time to get to it?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As Norachan Norachan said, I've also had a young cat literally leave the litter box mid-stream because I picked up a toy to put it away.

It's very possible with younger cats. Or if he got spooked during play 🤣

Looking forward to hear more about your floofs and their little adventures.

Anyways, sometimes people read too quickly or don't read the whole of something. I've been guilty of that before too!

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi H halpplease

I don't think you need to worry about getting them spayed and neutered right away. You seem to have a good vet and you just have to work with what your vet thinks is best. My vet won't spay or neuter before 5 months either, no matter how much the kittens weigh. People are saying it's OK to have the kittens fixed when they reach 1kg because technically it is. A lot of shelters want to get kittens into new homes while they're still at the cute kitten stage, so they neuter early. However, as your kittens already have a good home there's no rush. If your vet thinks it's better to wait for another month or more that's what you should do.

I think that the accidents your male kitten keeps having aren't really to do with marking his territory. In my opinion he is still to young to be doing that. I've never known any cats start doing that as young as 9 weeks old, it's usually something they start doing after 6 months of age.

So, there weren't any accidents between cutting out the cat milk and getting the new duvet? Was there anything new introduced into his diet recently? When he pees in the wrong place does he start scratching around as if he is digging in the litter box, or does he just pee?

One of my kittens had similar accidents up until she was nearly a year old, always after playing with her "brother", who is a few months younger than her. Could he have been too engrossed in play to realise he needed to use the litter box and then not had time to get to it?
The pee didn't smell really strong so I don't think he was territory marking, as I know a strong scent is a hallmark. To be honest, his sister seems more territorial and yes, between stopping the milk and getting the new duvet he hadn't done anything anywhere else. He was pawing at my new duvet without using his claws and then he peed. I think it might have been that the duvet smelled weird because it was brand new? I've washed the pee patch and sprayed lots of the wee away spray on it which uses bacteria to break down the urine. He was fine yesterday and was purring and cuddling up to us on the duvet. I don't want to speak too soon that he'll be fine going forward.

Before, when he was still on the milk, he would sometimes get really into playing and then suddenly just go anywhere but the most recent time, he didn't seem like he was engrossed in playing.

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As Norachan Norachan said, I've also had a young cat literally leave the litter box mid-stream because I picked up a toy to put it away.

It's very possible with younger cats. Or if he got spooked during play 🤣

Looking forward to hear more about your floofs and their little adventures.

Anyways, sometimes people read too quickly or don't read the whole of something. I've be.n guilty of that before too!
They like to supervise me cleaning their toilet and his sister likes to go right after I've cleaned it. I stay really still when he goes for the exact reason you've mentioned because he's so sensitive. He's an absolute diva 😂

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just peed on my duvet again whilst I was downstairs cooking...it seems like he's attention seeking

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Peeing inappropriately for cats is not usually an attention-seeking behaviour. Has he had a urinalysis? He may have some congenital issue
No...he went to the vet and she said his bladder was inflamed. He ended up peeing on her floor and she said the urine looked nice and clear. When we went back last Friday, she checked his bladder again and said he was OK and everything felt normal. I know he craves more attention than his sister but I was literally downstairs making a spot of dinner after work.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No...he went to the vet and she said his bladder was inflamed. He ended up peeing on her floor and she said the urine looked nice and clear. When we went back last Friday, she checked his bladder again and said he was OK and everything felt normal. I know he craves more attention than his sister but I was literally downstairs making a spot of dinner after work.
If his bladder was inflamed that is a sign of FIC (falls under the FLUTD umbrella). It is a chronic condition. He will have flare ups over his life. It is not attention seeking behaviour.

Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) | International Cat Care

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat gets very stressed,eats too fast,then vommits. Feliway and purina proplan calming care helped her. I ran out and the fighting is back. Hope he feels better:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gets very stressed,eats too fast,then vommits. Feliway and purina proplan calming care helped her. I ran out and the fighting is back. Hope he feels better:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:
He was doing so well and was so happy and today he's getting randomly spooked and had an accident. I feel so bad

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress induced Cystitis is a bit like how some people get an upset stomach when stressed.

For now maybe just give him some space or put spotify on low. Make sure any children are not bugging at him or shreaking around him (idk if you have kids or not) make sure all family members understand this is a medical condition not spite or revenge and don't yell, shout, or swear at him or rub his nose in it.

Maybe you could either shut them out of that area so he cant reach the bed or put a sheet of cellophane over it. Im not sure exactly how your room is set up or if there is a door you could just close to keep him out of there.

halpplease

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stress induced Cystitis is a bit like how some people get an upset stomach when stressed.

For now maybe just give him some space or put spotify on low. Make sure any children are not bugging at him or shreaking around him (idk if you have kids or not) make sure all family members understand this is a medical condition not spite or revenge and don't yell, shout, or swear at him or rub his nose in it.

Maybe you could either shut them out of that area so he cant reach the bed or put a sheet of cellophane over it. Im not sure exactly how your room is set up or if there is a door you could just close to keep him out of there.
OK, thank you. I tried keeping them in their nursery because they have their own room but they're always dying to come out. They have a feliway plug in there. I could always shut them out of my room and/or keep them in their room but they seem so happy exploring.

I don't have any other pets, children or family here for now. He seems so upset today, not as purry or cuddly and it's quite upsetting.

They were snuggling up to me in my bed just yesterday.
20240107_181643.jpg

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe for now close the bedroom door when you let them roam. The idea here being a process of elimination (is something about the bed motivating the behaviour).

He may need a pain killer or antibiotic to just get over the brunt of this.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Indy just got ove a bout of idiopathic cystitus too, she was stressed by municipal fireworks being set off close by on new years. Took her about a week to get over it but shes ok now. I did put spotify on the tv for her for a few days, seemed to kind of mellow her out.

With a male cat its obstruction of the penis you need to really watch for, this can be fatal within 24 hours. Squatting but no pee or tiny dripps are the most common signs theres a blockage.