8 Year Old Cat Problems.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 . It was a rough time, although they were all quite old, ranging in age from just over 90 to 105 (and HE was the one we didn't expect!). Just so many so quickly. I am so sorry you went through that with your parents. It happens so often where there is such a deep bond. And it seems to happen with our beloved animals like that, too. If ever anyone questions whether or not cats and dogs feel love, they should have to watch them grieve as we do.
Thank you so much, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 -- and you're so right. So often, too, people don't manifest their feelings and it's very difficult if not impossible to know they feel anything at all. I guess I'm more attuned to cats' feelings since I've lived all my life with cats. People have accused me of not having feelings but I think I'm Asperger's to some extent. Just goes to show that judging on the outside isn't always accurate.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those who judge by outward appearance often miss the best experiences that life has to offer...and the human race would die out in one generation, come to think of it!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those who judge by outward appearance often miss the best experiences that life has to offer...and the human race would die out in one generation, come to think of it!
...well, that might not be such a bad thing if you think about it, but sorry, we don't have to. Yeah, I'm as visually oriented as the next person and I like looking at beauty in people or anyone or anything else, but like my dad would say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and it's such a personal thing, isn't it, like one's favorite books/films/music/foods/etc.?!

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you tarasgirl06. My other two cats seem to be doing ok now but their room is so quiet without Benji. You are right about how sensitive cats are and I know that once they love you nothing can ever change that. I received so much love and affection from my Benji every single moment of his life.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you tarasgirl06. My other two cats seem to be doing ok now but their room is so quiet without Benji. You are right about how sensitive cats are and I know that once they love you nothing can ever change that. I received so much love and affection from my Benji every single moment of his life.
Sweet angel boy! I'm glad he had you in his life to love him, protect him, and do all you could for him. Every cat deserves this, but not every cat finds it. So glad Benji did. :vibes::alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your info that I can ask. The only difference is I have gotten a puppy which Zhong ignores and always has. Here is a photo of Zhong (Siamese) and his brother Yang and little Sister Ethyl. They both raised her except the milk part. We also noticed that he has developed a smell to his breath lately and I bought cat/dog toothpaste and brushed his mouth out and nothing appears swollen or abscessed.
He gets fleas whereas the other indoor cats have none( all of our cats or Indoors Yang (another cat) he gets limited time outdoors with people because he is calm so he can be taken to pet stores and my parents take him fishing sometimes and he walks on his leash at the vet's office/home etc.
The different types of behind the neck insecticides do not work on Zhong as the other cats. Today we physically gave him an over the counter flea dip because we have no other options as the vet supplied medications do nothing. He is getting fleas indoors while the other cats and puppy have none. It just makes no sense. All the vet insecticide does is keep fleas off his head. We have not had a flea problem on our pets for at lest 20 years.

He is still vague and runs through the house jumping from area to area meowing at the windows and doors. He ignores people mostly as he was once a very people cat. He had interests in getting people to pay attention to him so he started bringing things to play fetch and watch tv. Very interactive with people.

One of my doctors knows a cat veterinarian since none are here and she is going to ask about Zhong to her and see if she knows anything. I wrote about the differences in him and sent it as a letter.

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your info that I can ask. The only difference is I have gotten a puppy which Zhong ignores and always has. Here is a photo of Zhong (Siamese) and his brother Yang and little Sister Ethyl. They both raised her except the milk part. We also noticed that he has developed a smell to his breath lately and I bought cat/dog toothpaste and brushed his mouth out and nothing appears swollen or abscessed.
He gets fleas whereas the other indoor cats have none( all of our cats or Indoors Yang (another cat) he gets limited time outdoors with people because he is calm so he can be taken to pet stores and my parents take him fishing sometimes and he walks on his leash at the vet's office/home etc.
The different types of behind the neck insecticides do not work on Zhong as the other cats. Today we physically gave him an over the counter flea dip because we have no other options as the vet supplied medications do nothing. He is getting fleas indoors while the other cats and puppy have none. It just makes no sense. All the vet insecticide does is keep fleas off his head. We have not had a flea problem on our pets for at lest 20 years.

He is still vague and runs through the house jumping from area to area meowing at the windows and doors. He ignores people mostly as he was once a very people cat. He had interests in getting people to pay attention to him so he started bringing things to play fetch and watch tv. Very interactive with people.

One of my doctors knows a cat veterinarian since none are here and she is going to ask about Zhong to her and see if she knows anything. I wrote about the differences in him and sent it as a letter.
It sounds like you are taking the best steps to get Zhong back to being flea-free! A vet who specializes in feline medicine would always be the best choice if there is one available. Personally, I've never heard of the topicals not working. We've always used Advantage Cat and trust its safety and effectiveness. The only other suggestion I would put out there is to keep all of your cats indoors-only.

ckani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I think we have this at least mostly. Zhong has a severe allergy to whipworms and tapeworms. The thing is the normal medication from the vet did not eradicate them in Zhong. With his immune system low he kept getting overrun with fleas even when inside and having every neck medication available wiped on his neck wasn't helping. He is on new medication that expelled the worms and he seems about 80 percent back to normal. The Advantage now works as it should to keep fleas away.

ckani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry it took so long to update. I had been in a car accident and it took me some time to heal but, I am ok now.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry it took so long to update. I had been in a car accident and it took me some time to heal but, I am ok now.
I am so sorry, C ckani ! Are you okay now? How about your car/insurance/all that stuff? :sigh: I hope it is not too bad. Just glad you are back and very glad the Advantage is working. It's always been the one we trust. Please feel better! and keep us updated!:vibes::goodluck::hangin:

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are ok now after your ordeal. I am also very glad your kitty is doing better now. It will all pass real soon and it is just going to be a bad memory. Lots of kisses to you and your beautiful Zhong.