8 Month Old Kitten Might Be Developing Food Allergy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they only knew how much thought time and effort we put in for them :heartshape:
Daniel has known how much I love him since the day I brought him home :)

I found him under my car last November when it was 20 degrees outside. He was barely 8 weeks old and abandoned. Now he trusts me to clip his paws every few weeks, brush him, feed him, and now soak his paws morning and night to prevent litter from sticking :thumbsup: He's worth the trouble, every single time!

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Took Daniel to the vet last night because he was bothering his ears so much we did not feel comfortable waiting for a follow up next week with the vet. The vet was very helpful in reassuring us that we are doing the right thing and this process can take a significant amount of time before we see the results we are looking for. Daniel got two injections, one antibiotic and then a steroid shot as well. He also has a prescription for a daily steroid I am supposed to begin giving orally in about 3 weeks once the steroid shot begins to taper off.

I hate the thought of giving steroids to a cat too often but I think this is the only option due to the severity of the reactions he is having right now. I should be receiving most of the samples, etc. today or tomorrow and I am feeding him Instinct LID Duck until then.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

Daniel is still being such a good boy when it comes to me soaking his paws, etc. and he is being a great sport about the changes, including the water fountain changes, and the food dish changes!

The one thing he is still being sort of finicky about is his food. He is eating but just not quite the normal amount I am used to as he is still only 9 months old. I understand this may take some time as he is probably till adjusting to the new flavors, consistency, etc. and the stress of recent vet visits and routine changes might be contributing as well.

I got the samples from Koha last week and also found a boutique per supply store nearby my house that sells Rawz, Hounds & Gatos, Koha and all the high end pet food brands including raw as well. He was not so enthusiastic about a lot of the foods I tried but I found pretty much one protein type from each of the brands that he would eat. Rawz Duck & Duck Liver Pate was popular, as was Koha Kangaroo LID Pate, and he seems somewhat okay with Hounds & Gatos Lamb & Lamb Live Pate, I also got him to eat a small amount of Nature's Variety Instinct Beef Pate. He just is not eating his usual 3.5-4 ounces of food per meal like I am used to. He still cries for food occasionally but he does not seem satisfied if I put down the same food he was eating an hour ago. Rawz Duck & Duck Liver Pate seems to be his favorite of the bunch and it is soft and highly palatable which might be helpful if his mouth is sore or swollen.

Should I keep trying the other brands? What is everyone's experience like with these situations? Could it take a week or two for Daniel to really commit to some of these foods? I don't want to give up too early and move on to another food trial if these foods are adequate and he will eventually eat more of them!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
With my boy, if he doesn't really like something or is half-hearted at best, that food won't ever be on his "love it" list.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
With my boy, if he doesn't really like something or is half-hearted at best, that food won't ever be on his "love it" list.
I am hoping I can find something with a short ingredients list that might fit onto Daniel's "love it" list! He was so obsessed with Fancy Feast and Friskies Classic Pates and I fear that he will never have that same passion with the foods he is not allergic to! Makes me a little worried what my options will be to keep him healthy and happy

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you had a chance to try fortiflora as an enticement on or mixed in his foods? It's made by the same company that makes fancy feast, and may have some of the same flavoring.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you had a chance to try fortiflora as an enticement on or mixed in his foods? It's made by the same company that makes fancy feast, and may have some of the same flavoring.
I might have to try that! I will keep you posted as I think he has also gotten back into the habit of many smaller meals instead of timed feeding. He gets off track when I transition foods because he eats smaller portions or walks away prematurely. So I try to feed more than usual to compensate and then it ends up backfiring :flail:

I may try to be more strict again and see if he starts eating larger portions over the course of a couple days once he catches on to the feeding schedule again!

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It turns out I was partially right, being more strict has solved the eating issue as long as he truly likes the food :flail:

Daniel has decided the Koha LID Kangaroo Pate is not to his liking anymore all the sudden!

He is starting to really enjoy the Rawz Pates depending on the flavor/consistency. The Duck & Duck Liver is his favorite. I really like the ingredients too! I am still trying to find a few other brands/proteins that Daniel likes so I can rotate the foods :)

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is terrific news - good for you! Keep up the great work :rock:
Oh my gosh yesterday I was at home after work and I told my girlfriend I am a very tired cat dad LOL. I am just so worn out from taking care of him, researching new foods to try, calling the vet, taking him to the vet, throwing away expensive food he won't eat, soaking his paws, changing out the litter several times, and the list goes on!

I said I wish I could just have someone take a couple of my cat dad shifts without needing to ask questions and just give me a break! She is not as hands on with the cats' care as I am. I feed them and play with them she cuddles and cleans their litter boxes!

So it is nice to get a small win in all this!!