7m Kitten biting - Too late to stop?

bradb1224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 month old Kitten named Mittens and I feel its getting too rough and somewhat embarassing to invite people over. She is constantly getting hyper when people are over and jumping up legs. It doesn't personally bother me, but I would definetely love my cat if she was a 'cuddle' type kitty instead of biting constantly.

I've looked through numerous Forum threads about biting and most give samples of spraying or giving a tap on the nose. First of all, my cat jumps in the shower when I am done, and comes back for seconds when I spray her with a bottle. When in fact i do play with her, i use my hand and she bites constantly and gets a good grip. She used to use her claws when she was about 2-5 months but now she never uses them, it is only the biting problem. Will getting her fixed help anything? As in their horomones changing and calming down?

This cat was in the 4th litter of the mother and was a only...kitten
Would that have anything to do with her playful ways? The past couple months have gone by and the mother cat (my good friends baby) has had yet another litter (5) and there was 4 girls. I am taking one of them home when she hits 8 weeks, I've heard that that is an appropriate time to seperate then from the mother. I am curious as to how my cat will react. She plays rough will this be a problem? I've never heard her hiss I am hoping this is a good thing. I don't expect her to be too territorial or anything of that sort. Main question on the getting a new kitten subject would be that I am curious as to if she will calm down, or if they will just both gang up on me

If anybody has anything to say about my 'situation' that would be great. Thank you for your support and determination to help out.

Here is a pic of my Kitty 'Mittens'

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really help you as mine don't do it. Have you read this thread?

Here is the part I think is Mitten's issue~

Play Aggression
Sure, it hurts all the same, but the cat who pounces on your feet/hands and then careens off the wall isn't trying to hurt you - he's playing. You need to increase your play sessions with your cat
with an appropriate toy, such as a cat fishing pole or toy on a string - not one of your body parts - to help your cat burn off his excess energy before you try for a quiet pet session.

Never reinforce her for biting....if she bites, immediately stop paying attention to her. Blow a strong puff of air in her face or clap your hands real loud and shout "NO"! Don't try to pull your
hands or feet away from her when she is biting because she will think you are playing with her. Just hold still, do the puff or clap and then pry her paws off. It shouldn't take too long for your little one to learn that this is a no-no. (Never play with your kitten with your hands or feet...only play with toys so she never learns that it is okay to attack people.)

For more serious play aggression try the following:

1. Once the cat attacks, stand perfectly still. Don't try to pull away the hand (or other body part) that she is biting. If you try to pull away, this will trigger the "prey" cues in her brain and she will
attack even harder. So, stay still and use your free hand to pull her off.

2. Immediately after an attack, put her in a quiet room (the bathroom) for no more than five minutes. This will give her time to settle down and for attack mode to turn off.

3. Pay careful attention to her behavior. Learn what her pre-attack behaviors are. All cats do something right before attacking, like twitching their tails or their eyes dilate. Each cat has its own
unique signals, so you will have to learn your own catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s signals.

4. Once you have learned her pre-attack signals, IMMEDIATELY upon seeing a signal and BEFORE the attack occurs, do one of the following:
-- toss a small toy in front of her. Toss the toy at an angle across her field of vision but at an angle so that it is going away from her...like the way a mouse would run...toward a wall away from the cat. Cat's brains don't perceive vertical movement very well, so it needs to be tossed across the floor.
-- or use another toy to distract her (never play with her with your hands or feet...always use a toy)
-- or Shout NO!

The main idea is to keep the attack from happening. It won't take too long before she realizes that she can no longer do this.
Personally I think is quite mean to spray a cat with water or hit/tap it on the nose. Both are disipline which does not mix well with cats. There are much better ways to get the point across. At any rate spraying obviously wouldn't work for you anyway. And tapping on the nose? I would freak out if someone did it to me and would expect my cats to react the same

More members will be around sooner or later so keep checking back for more ideas or check back in the morning!

And welcome to TCS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bradb1224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I really don't like to dicipline her for the stupid reason of biting. But alot of what I've been looking at on the internet says that those seem to be the solutions. I feel bad tapping her/spraying her when i know she has no idea, thinking she might realize. Those are also excellent suggestions and im going to try the blowing technique right away. Ussually i pull my hand away and say no and she totally disregards my loud voice, but I can see why now. We also use the bathroom sometimes. But ussually she meows like crazy and i feel bad and take her out thinking shes calm. it works 50% of the time, but 5 minutes later I run into the same problem. I've read similar notes from various sites, but it seems they left the blow out, that seems like a very good solution that isn't too mean IMO but will definetely startle her and let her know whats going on. I will practice this technique for now, I will update and check back often. Thanks so much for reading and responding it means alot!

And thank you! Isn't she so cute. Heres another pic just because i love her so much

(Alot younger, you can tell by the date on the photo)

This one is Molly, which we are getting in a few weeks.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bradb1224

Yeah, I really don't like to dicipline her for the stupid reason of biting. But alot of what I've been looking at on the internet says that those seem to be the solutions. I feel bad tapping her/spraying her when i know she has no idea, thinking she might realize. Those are also excellent suggestions and im going to try the blowing technique right away. Ussually i pull my hand away and say no and she totally disregards my loud voice, but I can see why now. We also use the bathroom sometimes. But ussually she meows like crazy and i feel bad and take her out thinking shes calm. it works 50% of the time, but 5 minutes later I run into the same problem. I've read similar notes from various sites, but it seems they left the blow out, that seems like a very good solution that isn't too mean IMO but will definetely startle her and let her know whats going on. I will practice this technique for now, I will update and check back often. Thanks so much for reading and responding it means alot!

And thank you! Isn't she so cute. Heres another pic just because i love her so much

(Alot younger, you can tell by the date on the photo)

This one is Molly, which we are getting in a few weeks.
OHHHH I love Molly too.

bradb1224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No she hasn't been spayed yet, she is seven months, What is the regular time that you would recomend doing this at? Will play a big effect in her behavior? This is my first cat so I'm sorry for the questions guys. You are a huge help!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No she hasn't been spayed yet, she is seven months, What is the regular time that you would recomend doing this at? Will play a big effect in her behavior? This is my first cat so I'm sorry for the questions guys. You are a huge help!
I reccommend six months, so getting her desexed asap would be perfect!

If anything, it will make her more relaxed.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
no problems about asking questions - thats what we are here for

yes if you spay her you will notice a huge change in her behaviour. My Tipsy was exactly the same as your describing. He was actually so bad that I didnt know what we were going to do with him to calm him down... we got him neutered and I am sure they gave me back a different cat
he was soooo different and never bites not scratches now.

you could most certainly get her spayed now - she is old enough

and btw - both her and Molly are adorable - you should start a thread in the fur pictures forum of them both

bradb1224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much, I love them both they are so cute
I will definetely get it done asap. I havn't noticed any changes in mood or any sign of her being in heat or anything of that sort. When will that start?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you very much, I love them both they are so cute
I will definetely get it done asap. I havn't noticed any changes in mood or any sign of her being in heat or anything of that sort. When will that start?
It can start anytime from four months so you are lucky they haven't been in heat yet.

bradb1224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

It can start anytime from four months so you are lucky they haven't been in heat yet.
Wow then thats real good, her mom is very annoiying when she goes into heat.

At least I know when to expect it. Thank you

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
good luck with her - let us know if her behaviour changes once you get her spayed.

are you planning on staying around on TCS? be good if you do!!!

bradb1224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys
I am going to get it done next week hopefully (money is the only situation). And thanks again. I'l post other pics of the other kittens in the litter that molly was in soon, but have limited time atm. I'll stick around as much as I can and I'm sure I'll be on my best Behvavior

Any Ideas on Mittens and Molly getting along / calming down? Thanks guys!

bradb1224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm still using the blow technique you suggested, It's going slow im going to give it more. It seems to stop her in place and stare at me. She is also biting when i am petting her, Which i do blow and she just does it in a matter of seconds afterwards.

I have company over - My Aunt and Cousin and they are freaking out over her being hyper and jumping up their legs. I seriously can't understand the fear of a playing cat, what are the possibillities? 'Oh no! She's wrapping around my leg because shes being affectionate! I'm going to sufficate!'

But I'm starting to notice she just has hyper spurts, when people are around she ussually stops cuddly kitty and goes into attack. Like I stated above this is my first cat so I am somewhat curious as to what to do or if this is normal. I do understand that she is only 7 months and will not completely be calm (although I've met a few younger who are) I just find her acting like a crazy cat a bit weird, even my friend who used to have her said 'What did you do to her'? I feel bad because all of the other cats are perfect over there and mine is the psycho one. I guess they take after their owners

Thanks in advance guys

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
45minutes? how exciting
YAY!! I am excited for you!!!

But I'm starting to notice she just has hyper spurts, when people are around she ussually stops cuddly kitty and goes into attack. Like I stated above this is my first cat so I am somewhat curious as to what to do or if this is normal. I do understand that she is only 7 months and will not completely be calm (although I've met a few younger who are) I just find her acting like a crazy cat a bit weird, even my friend who used to have her said 'What did you do to her'? I feel bad because all of the other cats are perfect over there and mine is the psycho one. I guess they take after their owners
cats are like humans I guess - everyone has their own personalities dont they. And yes your right - she is still a kitten so still has that hyper personality... I love that when they are hyper running around like crazy

Dont feel bad - she is perfect
and she will calm down once you get her spayed.

as with a previous post asking for deas on Mittens and Molly getting along / calming down... the best is to introduce them slowly - Mittens is going to be protective of her environment which is only natural. Have you read any of the introduction techniques you can use? let me find some for you