6 Week Old Kitten Not Drinking

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, we just took in a 6 week old kitten. She is a happy healthy ball of energy. She is doing great socializing with our dogs. Our dachshund has litterally adopted her as his own. She is finally starting to be ok with our lovable 18lb tabby. Who of which ADORES her. But shes still slightly unsure over his size. Our other cat is a work in progress. Shes a bit irritated about the new kitten.

That being said she is currently eating wet food on her own at a vigerous appitite might I add. Almost a whole cans worth (the small sized cans) BUT she will not drink water on her own. I have been adding water to her food in hopes she will take interest in her water. I have tried coaxing her to the shallow dish of water. We dip her paw to encourage her to clean the water off her paw. Done the finger trick. Nothing. I have been making sure to syringe 2 ccs of water twice a day just incase she isnt getting enough fluid.

She is using the litter box , peeing about a few times a day and 1 normal poop a day. So litter box usage seems fine. I am just worried. I have had bottle babies in the past and never recall water being a issue. Maybe I am over worried. Any advice or suggestions please

Below is a attached photo over Willow our new baby <3

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is getting the water she needs from her wet food. Which is great. It is unnatural for cats to drink from a bowl that is why so many cats on dry kibble have health issues and are dehydrated. If you are concerned, add some water to her wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is getting the water she needs from her wet food. Which is great. It is unnatural for cats to drink from a bowl that is why so many cats on dry kibble have health issues and are dehydrated. If you are concerned, add some water to her wet food.
We have been avoid bowls entirely and using shallow dishes. I have also been adding water to where it has soupy portions with some chunks to encourage chewing

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kittens especially have an extremely low thirst drive. At 6 weeks old she should still be with Mom getting her moisture from nursing along with starting to eat food. Keep doing what you are doing, add water to her food. She will get the moisture she needs in eating. Do still keep out a water dish because she will probably get more interested in drinking around 12 weeks old. If you can, a recirculating water dish is better received and more appealing to most cats.

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens especially have an extremely low thirst drive. At 6 weeks old she should still be with Mom getting her moisture from nursing along with starting to eat food. Keep doing what you are doing, add water to her food. She will get the moisture she needs in eating. Do still keep out a water dish because she will probably get more interested in drinking around 12 weeks old. If you can, a recirculating water dish is better received and more appealing to most cats.
I have been looking at some fountains. Sadly she couldnt stay with mom. Moms owners was very.... uneducated with kittens and wanted them gone at 6 weeks. I tried my best to talk her into keeping them til 8 at the very least but the kittens were to noisy and expensive , thats what their excuse was sadly. So I have expierence with bottle babies and have raised 2 in the past. Never had to much trouble weening them and getting them to drink on their own. Shes the first young one Ive had that shows no interest in a water dish. Aside that she is a bundle of absolute love and energy. I couldnt be happier to have her in our life

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you help to have the mother cat spayed? It would be a great way to say thank you for the kitten.

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you help to have the mother cat spayed? It would be a great way to say thank you for the kitten.
Unfortunately I cannot. We bought them a ton a cat food for the weening and gave them extra to hold them over. We just recently had one of our pets passed and that cost us almost 4k. So now we can only focus on our animals for the time being. I spoke to a non profit rescue who offered to help them out with those costs and passed on their information. That's all we could really do