6 Things I Learned from Our Ringworm Plague (book length....)

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I hope you're all in the clear soon! I am seeing a lot of flakiness and dryness on Zuzu's skin where she had lesions. I'm hoping it's just a reaction to all the topical sand not a resurgence in the ringworm. She not losing any more hair and the hair is growing back in everywhere. But the flakiness is worrisome. I'm kind of afraid to do another PCR.
I'm 99.99% sure the dryness is from the lime sulfur dip.  Just out of curiosity, I decided to dip Leo yesterday without using gloves. I had seen a video on youtube of a vet doing it without gloves, so I figured it wouldn't hurt me.  Well, the palms of my hands are peeling like crazy today!  They are so dry. If I were to do this twice a week with no gloves, I'm certain my skin would look as flaky has theirs has been. I'm glad that the vet suggested skipping Katia's dip and really hope that they are both negative so I can stop doing the dips all together. When are you scheduled for another PCR? It is scary to wait for the results, but at least the PCR comes back a lot faster. 

Last edited:

zuzuq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have done most of the dips (#9 this morning...Zuzu's 10th) without gloves, on the theory that if I'm soaking in lime sulphur I'm not going to get ringworm. And my skin is definitely dry. But it's an all-over dry, not the kind of flakiness that Zuzu has just on the places where her lesions were. What makes me more hopeful is the fact that her fur is growing in everywhere and there are no more bald spots. The spot on top of her head is regrowing the slowest, but it *is* coming back. Maybe I should just bit the bullet and do another PCR. It should be tomorrow, but with the flakiness and peeling, I was thinking of delaying it another few days...until she's looking better?

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have done most of the dips (#9 this morning...Zuzu's 10th) without gloves, on the theory that if I'm soaking in lime sulphur I'm not going to get ringworm. And my skin is definitely dry. But it's an all-over dry, not the kind of flakiness that Zuzu has just on the places where her lesions were. What makes me more hopeful is the fact that her fur is growing in everywhere and there are no more bald spots. The spot on top of her head is regrowing the slowest, but it *is* coming back. Maybe I should just bit the bullet and do another PCR. It should be tomorrow, but with the flakiness and peeling, I was thinking of delaying it another few days...until she's looking better?
How long has it been since the last PCR?  Many of the professional pages I have read recommend weekly testing because it allows for a quicker mycological cure. I didn't do weekly. We have done bi-weekly.  

Here's what is weird. I have NEVER seen any lesions on Katia. I only saw one grey spot on Leo's ear that the first vet said was pigment, and it ended up going away with treatment (it was ringworm), a dry patch by his tail (that never lost fur), and two patches on his side that had shorter hair. I never saw any redness or what I would consider "lesions" on them. 

The all over flakiness that they both went through was head to tail chunky dry flakes, almost like a chemical burn. I'm going to try to attach a picture of my hands right now.  It is unreal how dry they are from doing just ONE lime dip without gloves.  

zuzuq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. I have not had that reaction to the lime sulfur dip and I am allergic to sulfa drugs, so I expected some kind of reaction. I know some cats can be asymptomatic and not have the lesions, but still carry ringworm. Zuzu is at the point where the skin is discolored in some places (could be a reaction to the miconosol) and dry with some flakiness, but all the hair is growing in. I finally decided to stop waffling and just order the PCR, which will be tomorrow am. The last one was two weeks ago. If it's negative, I will probably let her out of isolation but keep up with the dips and meds for at least another two weeks, maybe more since the vet said we would do the second PCR two weeks later and continue treatment for another two weeks. Mostly, I want Zuzu to have more freedom because I think she is getting depressed. I don't want to permanently screw up our poor kitten. No one here has gotten ringworm despite the fact that we've spent as much time as we can with her.

Hope you're nearly done on your end!

Where did everyone else go?

Last edited:

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. I have not had that reaction to the lime sulfur dip and I am allergic to sulfa drugs, so I expected some kind of reaction. I know some cats can be asymptomatic and not have the lesions, but still carry ringworm. Zuzu is at the point where the skin is discolored in some places (could be a reaction to the miconosol) and dry with some flakiness, but all the hair is growing in. I finally decided to stop waffling and just order the PCR, which will be tomorrow am. The last one was two weeks ago. If it's negative, I will probably let her out of isolation but keep up with the dips and meds for at least another two weeks, maybe more since the vet said we would do the second PCR two weeks later and continue treatment for another two weeks. Mostly, I want Zuzu to have more freedom because I think she is getting depressed. I don't want to permanently screw up our poor kitten. No one here has gotten ringworm despite the fact that we've spent as much time as we can with her.

Hope you're nearly done on your end!

Where did everyone else go?
Crazy, right?!  I've scrubbed my hands multiple times today to get the dry skin off, and they just about look normal now.  If your last PCR was two weeks ago, then I would definitely do another now. I kept up with the oral medication for another week after the negative PCR (finished the 30 day course). Katia had four dips after the negative PCR, and Leo has had five dips.  Three dips for Katia after the negative culture, and four dips for Leo, so essentially two weeks of dips for both after two negative results.  With this next PCR, if they are both negative, I will stop all of it.  

I thought the same thing that it would change their personalities.  Katia would get so ANGRY during her baths and dips. I thought for sure she would never be the same sweet kitten again, but she is right back to her previous cuddliness.  Both of them are.  As soon as I got the negative PCR, I let them out of the bathroom and into my adjoining bedroom. They are back on my bed and on their cat tree like nothing ever happened.  Praying SO HARD for this last negative PCR!!!  Both my daughter and I got ringworm from the kittens, but it was within the first 10 days that we had them (early December).  My son got it, too, but underneath his wristwatch, but he has had it there before because it is sweaty place. I can't blame the kittens for it.  It may have just been coincidental. 

Not sure where everyone else went!  

zuzuq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Crossing my fingers for you! I took Zuzu in this morning for the PCR. The first culture was negative and the first PCR was positive, so the vet said the PCR could have been a false positive and the first culture could also have been wrong (argh) but she felt that if this next PCR is negative she would say we could declare it over. Her skin looks good (although flaky) and the hair is growing in, so the vet thought it would be fine to release her from isolation if this is negative. Man, I hope it is. I washed and dipped her yesterday and also disinfected everything, washed everything, dumped her litter out and started over...really hoping there's no environmental contamination now.

No one here got RW in the four weeks we've had her so that's good. Zuzu's foster did, though, but she was exposed before the dips started. I am trying to decide whether to keep the terbinafine going after the next PCR even if it's negative. I guess for $40 it might be worth it for the peace of mind while we watch her fur grow back in. I think I will go another two weeks of treatment (with weekly dips instead of twice weekly) regardless, just to be sure...

zuzuq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear your kittens got over the isolation! Zuzu was so mad at me after the vet visit today... :(

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long have they been on the terbinafine?  We did 30 days, and the vet didn't want to do any more.  I called the vet today, and still no results.  I hope they are in tomorrow. Since we did it on Saturday and it takes 1-3 business days, I'm guessing tomorrow.  Last time we did it on a Tuesday and the results were back Thursday.  So...Monday until Wednesday is my guess.  I'll keep you posted, and you do the same!  

zuzuq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coming up on 30 days...the vet wrote the prescription with a refill, but maybe I should call and ask again before I do it. We're almost out, and if it's positive, I think we have to keep going, no?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Coming up on 30 days...the vet wrote the prescription with a refill, but maybe I should call and ask again before I do it. We're almost out, and if it's positive, I think we have to keep going, no?
ZuZuQ, I think you should definitely ask your vet before you refill that prescription. It's a powerful drug and should not be given just as a precaution. This is why vets won't start prescribing it for cats who might have ringworm until there is a positive culture or PCR test. It's not just the cost, it's the risk of bad side effects. 

I remember the agony of waiting more than a week for our culture results, being unable to do anything but clean, and clean, and worry, and order the first bottles of lime-sulfur dip. 

A 30-day course of terbinafine is a lot. Vets often do pulse therapy with a week or two of pills for the cats, followed by a break of a week or two without them. That tells me that giving Zuzu a break now isn't likely to be a problem while you wait for what I hope is a negative PCR!

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And they are negative!!!

Last edited:

zuzuq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And good point about the pulse therapy...I'll wait until my vet calls in a day or so and figure out what to do... thanks!

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

CONGRATULATIONS!

HOORAY!!!!!!
I am soooooo relieved!!!!  I called yesterday and there was no result yet. So, I called again today, and the receptionist said the results came in, but she wouldn't give them to me (it had to be the technician or the vet).  I told her to PLEASE have them call back today because we have been waiting and waiting for hopefully good news.  So, after about an hour, the tech called me and said that the results were all negative, and that we can stop all treatment, as we have now had two negative PCR panels and one negative culture.  We are going back on January 30th for one final PCR panel to make sure it stays negative after stopping treatment for a couple of weeks.  The vet said we are clear to let them roam about the house!!  They are going to be so excited!  They have not even seen the rest of our house yet, because I kept them in our bedroom when we first got them, and immediately began this ringworm saga shortly after. 

This is such an amazing relieve!!  ZuzuQ, I am praying for negative results for you, too!!!  Please post back a soon as you find out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I am soooooo relieved!!!!  I called yesterday and there was no result yet. So, I called again today, and the receptionist said the results came in, but she wouldn't give them to me (it had to be the technician or the vet).  I told her to PLEASE have them call back today because we have been waiting and waiting for hopefully good news.  So, after about an hour, the tech called me and said that the results were all negative, and that we can stop all treatment, as we have now had two negative PCR panels and one negative culture.  We are going back on January 30th for one final PCR panel to make sure it stays negative after stopping treatment for a couple of weeks.  The vet said we are clear to let them roam about the house!!  They are going to be so excited!  They have not even seen the rest of our house yet, because I kept them in our bedroom when we first got them, and immediately began this ringworm saga shortly after. 

This is such an amazing relieve!!  ZuzuQ, I am praying for negative results for you, too!!!  Please post back a soon as you find out!
This is such good news! I'm really happy for you all! It will be very sweet to have your kittens free to roam and to watch them discover their new world and the pleasures of not smelling like sulfur. It was pretty clear from the beginning that you were going to do whatever it took to help them. You should feel proud of that. 

I hope everyone else who is working and waiting for the same result is encouraged and taking strength from this. It's so worth getting through it, and you will!

One unexpected benefit: you will face future challenges with more confidence, knowing you have the skills and determination to handle them, too. 

Now, AmyL, if you're anything like me, it may be a long long time before you want to even go near your vacuum cleaner . . . but you'll get over it . . .  eventually.  

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is such good news! I'm really happy for you all! It will be very sweet to have your kittens free to roam and to watch them discover their new world and the pleasures of not smelling like sulfur. It was pretty clear from the beginning that you were going to do whatever it took to help them. You should feel proud of that. 

I hope everyone else who is working and waiting for the same result is encouraged and taking strength from this. It's so worth getting through it, and you will!

One unexpected benefit: you will face future challenges with more confidence, knowing you have the skills and determination to handle them, too. 

Now, AmyL, if you're anything like me, it may be a long long time before you want to even go near your vacuum cleaner . . . but you'll get over it . . .  eventually.  

Haha!!  Yes....I'm looking forward to letting a few dust bunnies pile up again!  This was a challenge I did not need (especially financially), but as you said, will grow stronger from it. It will still be a while before I'm truly confident in the results. I will forever be checking their skin and over analyzing every single little mark on them, I'm sure. 

They are busy tearing around the house right now!  When I first called them out of the bedroom, they came out very cautiously and smelled every inch of the living room. We have the kids' bedrooms, the room with our piano, and the other bathroom closed off.  They just don't need to go in those rooms.  WAY too much to get into!  Especially the kids' rooms - so messy!!  My daughter is sooooo happy to be able to pick them up and finally cuddle them!

zuzuq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got off the phone with the vet. Zuzu's PCR was negative BUT because her skin has been so flaky around the lesions and the prior PCR was positive, she wants to see another negative PCR in a few weeks. Yay...and argh. So we are upping the terbinafine dosage and continuing it (Zuzu is heavier now), but stopping the dips because she is so flaky. Instead, she suggests using a leave-in mousse (duoxo antiseptic chlorhexidine + climbazole) that will treat her skin but also condition it. And retest in 2-3 weeks. Sigh. I guess it's only been 4 weeks and I should have expected we would need two negatives, but I am bummed. Still contemplating giving her more freedom. The vet said she couldn't say whether it would be okay to stop isolation...we weren't going to let her out this weekend anyway because we have house guests, but I did hope we could let her out after everyone had left. Maybe we can let her out to play in some rooms during the day and then back in her bathroom to sleep at night? Thoughts?

Last edited:

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got off the phone with the vet. Zuzu's PCR was negative BUT because her skin has been so flaky around the lesions and the prior PCR was positive, she wants to see another negative PCR in a few weeks. Yay...and argh. So we are upping the terbinafine dosage and continuing it (Zuzu is heavier now), but stopping the dips because she is so flaky. Instead, she suggests using a leave-in mousse (duoxo antiseptic chlorhexidine + climbazole) that will treat her skin but also condition it. And retest in 2-3 weeks. Sigh. I guess it's only been 4 weeks and I should have expected we would need two negatives, but I am bummed. Still contemplating giving her more freedom. The vet said she couldn't say whether it would be okay to stop isolation...we weren't going to let her out this weekend anyway because we have house guests, but I did hope we could let her out after everyone had left. Maybe we can let her out to play in some rooms during the day and then back in her bathroom to sleep at night? Thoughts?
Yay!!  That is the first good news!  And yes, you will want to get two negatives. I have had two negative PCR panels and a negative culture, and the vet still wants to do one more PCR two weeks after we stop all treatment (dips) and 3-4 weeks after having stopped the oral terbinafine. We are going back on January 30th for that.  It will be two weeks post final dip (Leo; three weeks Katia due to stopping the dip early) and 3.5 weeks post oral medication. 

As far as providing more freedom, I opened the door to the bathroom to my adjoining bedroom after we got the first negative PCR. The first negative PCR and negative culture were only done a few days apart, but of course the results from the culture took more days.  We did the PCR on a Wednesday and got the results on Friday. Then the next day (Saturday) we did the culture, and got the results 10 days later.  Then two weeks after performing the culture, we did the second PCR.  All three have been negative, so I'm feeling fairly confident. I still let them out into the adjoining bedroom (my bedroom) with the first negative result. I was taking a risk, but I felt that it was still doable to keep those two rooms clean. Do you have a smaller room that you could let her in to play during the day?  One that is easy to keep clean (non-carpeted floor, etc.)?  My bedroom has bamboo flooring and the bathroom is tile, so both were very easy to keep clean.

Last edited: