6 Things I Learned from Our Ringworm Plague (book length....)

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm doing the same thing -- mixed up a small batch for the spray bottle and I'm not doing the full dip.  I've been shampooing her with medicated shampoo to get the topicals out of her fur, rubbing excess water out of her fur, and then dousing her neck and nape with the small batch of lime sulfur and massaging it into the problem areas.  Also splashing her paws, since she scratches herself with her paws.  I'm not seeing the problem spots anymore, but I'm going to finish the course of terbinafine and keep dipping for a few more weeks anyway.  We did the antibiotics bomb for the tapeworm, and she's been good with the litterbox for several days (I set up a motion detector alarm in the area where she was going), and I am hoping we can have a parasite and bad habit-free kitten soon!  Husband is getting impatient.  I don't know if I'll do another PCR, frankly.  At some point these cats' immune systems have to take over, right?  Right?
Yes, their immune systems should take over.  I had set up an appointment with the vet, but I'm going to cancel it.  The spot is gone.  I'm starting to think it wasn't ringworm and I just freaked out because of what we went through before. It was just strange that it grew and got rounder.  I had put miconazole on it for a few days, and I'm wondering if that irritated the scratch.  Perhaps it was just a scratch/wound from them playing?  I don't know.  In any event, it's gone.  I'm still going to spray that area with lime sulfur, and I may give them both another bath this weekend (bathed them both last weekend as an all-over treatment instead of a dip since I wasn't sure what this was).  With it going away so quickly, I don't think it could have been ringworm.  We aren't even at two weeks from when I first noticed the scratch.  

Keep me posted on your kitty!!

Meow31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A loud, warm THANK YOU!! to everyone on this site who calmed me down and gave me advice and support when our cats developed ringworm in October. The treatment was not fun, but we got through it — successfully, it appears! Our kittens have now had 3 negative cultures. Our older Persians, who had no symptoms, got the full treatment, too, and had single negative cultures.

Ringworm is difficult and confusing to deal with — you're fighting an invisible enemy, often with invisible weapons. So I thought I should share a few things I learned, in hopes of helping others who are dealing with ringworm, especially in a multicat household.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I suspect that people who are reeling from ringworm will read it anyway!

1. Get going. If ringworm is suspected and a culture is done, start treatment right away. Don't wait (up to 3 weeks) for the culture results. Time's a-wastin' — don't let the spores keep spreading for weeks.

While your vet probably won't recommend starting oral meds before you have a diagnosis (they can have bad side effects), you can start treating the cats with lime-sulfur dips, which are disgusting but not dangerous. The lime-sulfur kills spores in the fur and that keeps them from spreading through your home, to other animals, and to you. If you're concerned about isolating infected cats, lime sulfur can make that unnecessary.

Ringworm is airborne. Chances are good that all of your cats and your whole house have been exposed by the time you find a lesion on someone. You can also start putting antifungal cream on those lesions. While this may not be a very effective treatment, a cream will at least coat the area and help keep the spores contained.

Also: begin your housecleaning regime NOW, which will further reduce the spore population. More on this, below.

2. Don't obsess. Avoid over-Googling "ringworm" on the Internet. Along with all the varying treatment approaches, there's a ton of misinformation, useless products for sale, and scary stuff I wish I hadn't read. Ringworm may be gross, but at least it is not deadly. Deep breaths.

Here's the best source of info I found, by one of the leading vet experts on dermatophytosis: http://www.giveshelter.org/resources/dermatophyte.pdf

Although this info is geared to shelters, it gives clear, useful, up-to-date advice about how to diagnose, treat, and cope with the fungus.

I found help, encouragement, kindness, and commiseration here on TheCatSite! Discovering this community was the silver lining of my ringworm odyssey.

3. Clean. A LOT. The PDF above gives commonsense cleaning advice. Much of what you'll read elsewhere tells you to soak everything in your house in 10% bleach solution, rip out ductwork, and toss carpeting — which isn't practical for most of us. If you don't live in a kennel, you'll need a more doable approach, and you'll find some hints here. If you can't kill the spores with bleach or a blowtorch, you need to gather them up and dispose of them, as you would with dust mites or other allergens. Think of ringworm spores like that, and you'll understand what you need to do.

For me, it meant sending my carpets out to be cleaned, sanitized, and stored for the duration. I also removed, washed, and stored curtains, pillows, bedskirts, and other textiles, to make daily cleaning easier. I covered my upholstery with Indian bedspreads and washed them often, drying them in a hot, steamy, condensation dryer to kill spores. I dusted my ceiling molding and dry-swiffered my walls, doors, and windows once a week.

I wiped down everything in the apt with a damp microfiber cloth I rinsed often in very hot water. And I vacuumed my floors daily and damp-mopped them weekly.

I also vacuumed upholstery, including the undersides of the sofa, chairs and boxsprings, where my kittens would go. I hate cleaning, but one does need an outlet for all the nervous energy that ringworm anxiety generates.

On the advice of people here, I bought Health Laundry Additive and Disinfectant from RevivalAnimal.com. It contains a controversial fungicide/disinfectant called Triclosan (Vibax), found in everything from Dial soap to toothpaste, that may cause cancer. I didn't care: I put it in our laundry and sprayed a mist of it all over everything in the house a few times. Then I stopped. I don't know if it worked or not, but it made me feel like I was fighting fire with fire.

4. You need a serious vacuum cleaner. My vet's "Ringworm Fact Sheet," which was copied from popular sites on the Internet, recommended buying a cheap vacuum cleaner, tossing the bag every day, and throwing out the vac after treatment ended. This seems very wrong: a cheap vacuum will suck in spores — and then blow them back into the air in the exhaust. You need a really good vac, like a Miele, which has self-sealing, 9-layer bags and a HEPA filter that filters particles a fraction of the size of m. canis spores. A Miele actually purifies the air as you vacuum. And you don't have to toss the bags, either because they seal themselves when you turn off the vac. I'm replacing my HEPA filter now that we're clear. Most Miele dealers sell refurbs at good prices.

5. Treat ALL animals at once — and do everything at the same time. This means oral meds (after the diagnosis), topical cream, and dips for everyone together — and you are cleaning the whole time, so that you're attacking the monster from every angle. If you follow the plan outlined in the PDF above, you may not have to clip your cats — and can start culturing your cats WEEKS sooner than most vets recommend, and this will save time and money in the long run. It might help to show your vet the PDF — I was lucky that mine knew all about Dr. Moriello's work and uses her protocol. (Some variation seems to be okay: in our 4-cat household, we had all the cats dipped once, not twice a week, in the more dilute concentration, for example.)

6. Use the right medications. Don't fall for miracle products you read about online that aren't backed up by scientific research. Don't use bleach on your cats. Don't use griseofulvin: it's dangerous and there are equally effective, safer alternatives. Don't use generic itraconazole, use the patented Sporanox, which is more effective. Or use generic Lamisil (terbinafine), which is relatively new. It is also effective, less expensive, safer, and you only need to dose for 2 weeks.

We got discounts on our Sporanox (for little kittens) and terbinafine (for larger kittens and cats) from CVS with our AAA card.

Use lime-sulfur dip even though you hate it. The cats don't seem to mind, and although it reeks, it works! I was less allergic to the Vet Solutions brand than the DermaPet stuff. I was blessed to find a groomer to do it for us.

Good Luck!
Bunnelina I fostered two kittens and only one had ringworm. I had no idea what I was in for and was told it's like a mosquito bite and to just wash my hands.
So now my son, myself and my 13yrOld cat who just had major surgery all have ringworm. I have only been told about fungi creams and I was washing my cat in malaseb. But her hair is falling out and her skin was red so I've stopped the wash and her hair loss is reducing. I gave the kittens back and have been cleaning my house. How can I clean my lounge, dining chairs and rugs? Carpet cleaners and pest control don't know how to get rid of ringworm spores. I'm going crazy. I see the vet again in two days and the dr in four. In the mean time I don't want the spores to multiply or spread as I have two more cats that are outside. I don't know what else I can do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bunnelina I fostered two kittens and only one had ringworm. I had no idea what I was in for and was told it's like a mosquito bite and to just wash my hands.
So now my son, myself and my 13yrOld cat who just had major surgery all have ringworm. I have only been told about fungi creams and I was washing my cat in malaseb. But her hair is falling out and her skin was red so I've stopped the wash and her hair loss is reducing. I gave the kittens back and have been cleaning my house. How can I clean my lounge, dining chairs and rugs? Carpet cleaners and pest control don't know how to get rid of ringworm spores. I'm going crazy. I see the vet again in two days and the dr in four. In the mean time I don't want the spores to multiply or spread as I have two more cats that are outside. I don't know what else I can do.

Hi Meow31,

If you've read this thread, you've found the links to the two CatSite articles on ringworm and ringworm house-cleaning. If not, read those. There are links to them throughout this thread. There's also this paper, written by the leading vet expert on treating ringworm in cats, Dr. Karen Moriello.

Here's a link to the PDF:

DERMATOPHYTOSIS: DIAGNOSIS AND EFFECTIVE TREATMENT “THIS MUCH I KNOW TO BE TRUE”

It's in a collection of papers from the 8th World Congress of Veterinary Dermatology, published in 2016. So click that link and scroll to page 238. You will find a lot of information on diagnosing and culturing, which you may want to share with your vet, especially if he or she told you the ringworm is like a mosquito bite. You'll find updated cleaning advice on pp. 243–44. It should be reassuring — it's important to understand what spores are like and how to deal with them. They are more like dust mites than like viruses or germs. You don't say that you are giving your cats oral medications, so your vet should be prescribing terbinafine or itraconazole, as described in this paper and elsewhere. I hope this is helpful!

Lelel

Rowling and Beatle's MawMaw
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I'm working my way through the pages of this thread to pick up helpful information and much-needed support. 3 weeks ago we adopted a 2.5 month-old Siamese-Himalayan kitten who turned out to be a carrier of ringworm. My only other cat, a Tonkinese who's turning 2 years old in November, started having red patches of skin above his eyes a week ago. It quickly escalated and within a few days his ears, nose and toes were affected as well. He's an indoor cat who never had any health issues before. He was a solitary pet--my only baby--until the new kitten came along. Now he's constantly on an e-collar to keep him from licking his sores. I am treating him with neem soap, miconazole shampoo and miconazole ointment. The other kitten is currently confined in a pet carrier and is also getting the same bath treatment minus the ointment since she's not showing any ringworm spots. I've cleaned the house obsessively ever since we got the ringworm diagnosis last week. I changed bed sheets and curtains, wiped surfaces, walls and floors with rags dipped in water and bleach solution. The hardest part of all this is seeing my cat's discomfort and frustration when he can't scratch his itchy head. He just lays down all the time when the e-collar is on. I take it off to let him eat and drink and go to the liter box, but I keep an eye out to catch him as soon as he starts scratching his wounds, then the collar goes back on. I also feel bad that I can't pet and play with the new kitten as much as I want to. She's a ball of energy and loves jumping around and running around the house when she first got here. Now she's confined in a small space but I try to stroke her and pet her as much as possible to assure her that she's loved and wanted despite the ringworm she brought into the household. I'm praying for the day when both cats are cleared of this menace and they can play together again and have free reign over the house again.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dear Lelel, I'm sorry you are going through this! I hope you are finding some useful information and encouraging ideas here. I strongly suggest that you consult the PDF in the post above yours to learn about the state-of-the-art method for treating ringworm and the housecleaning, which has evolved beyond bleaching everything. Once you have a reasonably clean, dust-free house, the main reason to clean is to prevent false-positive cultures. Ringworm doesn't "lurk" like a virus or germs. Think of it more like pollen or dust-mites, to be swept up and disposed of, not killed with disinfectants, except on high-use areas like cat carriers and so on. Your best friend in this activity is a good, particle-filtering vacuum cleaner, like a Miele with a HEPA filter. Vacuum everything you can, including ceilings, windows, and doors, and wipe surfaces with microfiber cloths you can wash in hot water.

Many of us here have used our ringworm anxiety to fuel our cleaning efforts and found that the cleaning made us less anxious because we made good progress. It's doing battle with an invisible enemy.

Your cats need to be on oral medications (see articles mentioned with links throughout this thread, for specific recommendations and warnings), and it really sounds like they should be getting weekly or twice-weekly lime-sulfur dips, which may help soothe the itching.

Miconazole can be irritating for cats — even more so than ringworm itself, in my experience. And while it may be effective, there are other things that are less irritating: lime sulfur, for example. If you are noticing that your cats sores seem to be getting worse as you treat them, that's how you know. Spot treatments aren't terribly effective anyway; systemic oral drugs are better. Your vet can also prescribe an antihistamine to help with your cat's itching; no cat should have to suffer as your poor guy is, with a collar.

I assume your vet did PCR tests (or the old-fashioned ringworm cultures, which take weeks longer for results) to determine which type of ringworm your cats have. If it's the garden-variety microsporum canis, make sure your vet is aware of Dr. Moriello's work, described all over this thread. To get through this as quickly as possible, it makes sense to use her three-pronged approach — dips, oral meds, cleaning — to get to a cure, which is measured by negative PCR tests or cultures (not just one negative, but at least two, and ideally three).

I'm not sure why you are confining your kitten. "That horse left the gate a long time ago!" Your other cat has ringworm now so they are both in the same boat. Giving one cat free run of your place while the other is confined makes no sense to me. To turn into great cats, kittens need room to run and play, and plenty of socialization while they are developing, and confining yours to such a small space strikes me as a terrible idea. Why not confine them both in a good-sized, easy-to-clean room, if you must? Or let them both loose in the house after giving them a lime-sulfur dip, or two, which should make them much less contagious to you and the other humans/animals in your household. The point of isolating a cat with ringworm is to prevent it from spreading. When it's too late, I don't see the point, especially if you have done a thorough cleaning. (I did not isolate my two ringworm kittens in my small apartment, and our two elderly cats didn't catch it, and neither did we.)

Hang in there! Remember to take care of yourself! Drink a little wine, watch good movies, and remind yourself that ringworm is annoying but not deadly, and eventually this mess will all be a memory.

Lelel

Rowling and Beatle's MawMaw
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Bunnelina! I actually forgot to mention that I myself got the ringworm, as well as 2 other members of our household. I was more worried about the cats that the humans, lol!
I'm thinking of switching to another vet since our current one initially misdiagnosed my cat's ringworm as just "scratching from ear mite irritation." He only decided that it's indeed ringworm when I showed him my own red circle on my wrist. He also did not take any cultures, just sent us home with the miconazole shampoo with instructions to bathe the cats and spot-treat the affected areas.
While my own ringworm is now healing, my cat's seem to be spreading.
I will take your advise about the lime sulfur dips. As for the vacuum cleaner with HEPA filter, I'll look into that and see if I can afford one.
Do you have any advise with regards to their litter boxes? Will ringworm spread through the sand as well? How often should I change the sand now? We have a litter box for each cat but we found that they would use each other's boxes occasionally.
I'll do one more thorough cleaning around the house today and then release the kitten from the carrier. You're right, confinement is unnecessary at this point.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Lelel,

Wow, that horse really did leave the gate. I'm sorry you are dealing with ringworm in your human family, too. I hope your treatments are working and you all are healing.

See if you can find a vet who knows Dr. Karen Moriello's work. She is the feline ringworm expert in the US and is always doing research and finding new ways to make treatment easier and more effective. Her recommendations are changing as she learns. For example, here's a fairly recent summary of her findings about ringworm cleaning. This is encouraging progress; when our kittens were diagnosed in 2008, the old-school advice was to clean EVERY surface with bleach. That's okay — if you live in a steel and linoleum kennel, and don't have any wood, carpeting, pictures, or textiles in your house. Bleach is also irritating to humans and cats. Now we seem to be over bleach and cleaning is about dust and fur removal, which is much easier.

It also sounds like Dr. Moriello may be finding less stinky alternatives to lime sulphur dip but I can't access enough of her research to tell. I hope so!

Any vet should be able to research Dr. Moriello's latest work and read her latest findings on baths/dips, oral meds, culturing/testing, and cleaning, which are in vet journals the rest of us can't usually access. A good vet will be willing to do that for your cats, if they aren't on top of her latest work already, and I hope you find one!

My biggest concern for you is making sure both of your cats are as happy and comfortable as possible through all this, since kittenhood is a precious, fleeting, and developmentally important time, and your adult cat sounds miserable in his collar with his itchy sores. He needs to get some relief and have as little unnecessary stress as possible, to help him heal. I suspect that miconazole is making his sores worse. It happened to our cats and to other cats here (check the later pages of this epic thread). Things got better when we stopped.

Hang in there!

maffy118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Itrafungol was a great drug for my kitty's ringworm. It's one week on, one week off for three cycles...very easy to dose, too. Highly recommend it. Well tolerated, too.

TrashCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My household is almost out of the ringworm woods! Thank you to everyone who posted here as I read every single page. On June 30th, we rescued a 6 week old kitten who had just had his leg amputated on the 24th. He was exposed to ringworm at the shelter by asymptomatic carrier cats he interacted with at the rescue(possibly) or asymptomatic human helper (definitely). It took 6 days for the scabs to develop and on day 8 (July 7th), our kitten bliss ended abruptly when his ears were distinctly crusty, he started to lose hair around his eyes and face, and we were certain we had a problem.
We thought it was mites and gave him a regular old bath, sprayed him with wondercide (amazing cedar oil flea, tick, mite mosquito spray that is very safe and non-toxic, also has antifungal properties) and quarantined him. We got word from the rescue that it might be ringworm ("What's ringworm?" I asked myself) and then googled. Blacklight showed that it was M. Canis and it was on his face, tail, and shaved amputation part. Vet diagnosed a few days later.
What ultimately has worked WONDERS is the J-Kat Ciderm 2 part Shampoo that another poster suggested. It got everyone to stop glowing within a week, except for our 2 year old cat whom my husband couldn't wash by himself (I was on a business trip when we realized that the dogs and other pets got it despite the quarantine, miconozole baths and mad daily cleaning we had been doing since diagnosis) so the one part he couldn't clean well (the cat's face) was the only part that was glowing.
My experience with the J-Kat Ciderm shampoo is that it cleared Meco (rescue kitten) in a week, cured the dogs in a week and kept the fungus from growing on 2 other dogs. I used it on myself for peace of mind and it is quite nice.
I will report back when we get the final ALL clear for everyone.
Timeline:
Adopted Kitten June 30th
Noticed scabs and hairloss July 7th
Quarantine began July 7th
Treatment Began July 9th (all dogs got antifungal baths with Chloroxyl and 2 year old male cat got mitroconozole bath over the counter) Biweekly antifungal baths and topical lotrimin to kitten.
Vet Diagnosis July 11th
Weekly vet prescribed antifungal baths for dogs and cat July 16 and 23
First dog showed lesion: July 20th (vet incorrectly diagnosed it as irritation from groundhog fight)
Second and third dog showed lesion July 22nd
July 22nd began daily Ciderm baths for all animals (not what the manufacturer recommends, but husband has OCD and this was the only way he could sleep at night) and thorough daily cleaning of entire home.
Fourth dog showed lesion: July 23rd
Adult cats lesion was missed originally and noticed on the 30th.
Dogs and kittens fur stopped glowing under blacklight by July 27th.
Kitten quarantine ended July 29th (didn't realize adult cat had lesion)
August 1st adult cat showed significantly less glowing on face (lesion only size of quarter to start)
August 3rd is bath night so I will report back when everybody stops glowing and all lesions heal.
All lesions are healing, including the adult cat and the neighbor's dog who got it from ours (that was fun cleaning their house and vacuum too). First three dogs to show it are almost healed just over a week later so the Ciderm stuff is AMAZING. The kitten was on itracanozole, but we stopped after a week because we feared for his health.
So the dogs are healing because of the ciderm as the vet prescribed stuff did NOTHING to kill the spores that started on them.
I hope this helps. I wish that J-kat company did a better job of marketing their awesome products because I only found it from a poster on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrashCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So a week later and everyone is looking good. A few hairs still glow, but I learned that the hairs can glow under a blacklight for years after the fungus is dead. [Rippon, John Willard (1988). Medical mycology : the pathogenic fungi and the pathogenic actinomycetes(3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Saunders. ISBN 0-7216-2444-8.] We are going to go through with the bathing every 3 days and mad cleaning routine for another week and then dial it back. We may retest with the vet when the small patch on the adult cat's face grows back. It costs $80 to do the fast DNA style test for ringworm, so I want to wait til when I'm confident we will get the negative result.
Neighbor's dogs are all healed up (though the one never got it). I still give them the Ciderm bath once a week to be safe.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck when you test for it again. Sounds like you really managed to hammer it and everyone's going to be clear.

TrashCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For all you do it yourselfers/wannabe scientists: I found a ringworm test kit that gives results in as little as 48 hours. I wish I had found this weeks ago. My kit will arrive on wednesday next week.
Fungassay Ringworm Test Kit $80 at Revival Animal Health. Has 10 tests.
I have a vet appointment on Tuesday to do a check up on the kitten and look at my terrier mix's foot. We thought it was all ringworm related, but it looks like someone stepped on her toe or she was bitten on her quick while fighting with a ground hog (country life). The quick is bruised looking and is completely dark red/brown. I'm not sure if she every had ringworm in that toe now. She is still licking it so it must be painful. Everyone's lesions are healing and now new ones have popped up so I am ready to start testing and hoping for negatives!

TrashCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So friends, just when I thought I was out of ringworm hell, it pulls me right back in. My neighbor's are my in laws. Their two dogs play with mine often and we are taking care of them this week. One of their dogs (cattle dog) had gotten a small patch on his snout. He and the other one (vizsla) got bathed with all of ours until the lesion disappeared. We even cleaned their whole house. Unfortunately, we forgot two CRITICAL places that cattle dog with the lesion frequented: my father in laws truck and off roading Polaris Ranger. This dog rides in those things 10 times a day. Guess what, he has an infected paw and a lesion on his rump that just became glaringly obvious yesterday. So my animals have been exposed to ringworm everyday since this whole fiasco began. It is because of the ciderm chlorine dioxide shampoo that my pets have no new lesions since my pets have been getting baths every 3 days as we thought the neighbor's dogs were healed. So now I am bathing 8 animals everything 3 days and cleaning two houses every 3 days. I've been debating on whether to leave a warning negative feedback for the rescue, but I feel I have to. It has been 6 weeks of ringworm hell and I have another 3 to go. My story is the reason that rescues have to treat ringworm like the EBOLA VIRUS. One kitten infected 7 other animals.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:argh:
Are your in-laws able to help with some of the cleaning? This is their problem too afterall!

TrashCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they will help too, but for the next week I'm watching their dogs and their house so they aren't here to help.

TrashCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The culture on the kitten (Meco) came back positive. Tiki's culture is still not showing ringworm (yet). I'm going to culture again today as we seem to be getting results in 7 days.
I pretty much broke down last night. I'm so sick of this. Am I overreacting? How come some people say ringworm is no big deal. The assistant at the rescue said "Ringworm is no big deal. My dogs have it. My daughter has it, but look, I don't have it. I'm not contagious. I even let me dogs sleep under my covers with me." I lost it. I realized then that the rescue was really negligent with my kitten and was exposed to ringworm by that assistant, probably others and allowed to run around with all their adult cats who may be asymptomatic. How can anyone say ringworm isn't a big deal? I got two lesions and I'm grossed out by my own body. I won't go to the chiropractor or get a massage or go to the movies or do anything that could potentially endanger the public and spread this further. I wouldn't even wish this on my worst enemies.
I just needed to vent.

TrashCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two weeks later and I've calmed down. No new lesions on anyone: human, cat or dog, so the worst is definitely over. The neighbors dog has been separated from my pets and the neighbors are doing lots of vacuuming and changing sheets on the couches to prevent reinfection. That dog is healing and his viszla sister never got it.
My issue now is that the kitten is still culturing positive. His pathogen count is low, which may be an indication of environmental spores. I could quarantine him post bath and then culture him to see if it comes back negative after that effort. Which would mean environmental spores.
Should I be worried about environmental spores reinfecting my pets? Dr. Moriello says that environmental cleaning is important if you are culturing cats and she doesn't have any examples of cats getting ringworm from the environment only (does have an example of a child getting it from the environment, though). However, the kitten needs to be neutered and I'm worried the stress and trauma of surgery will weaken his immune system and he will pick it up from the environment. We are cleaning like mad. It takes 2.5 hours to clean the whole house on bath night. It's not a big house either: 1000 sq ft. We are not sure what we are missing that is causing the positive cultures? Maybe the upper underside of his tool bench? This kitten gets into everything and plays with everyone. That's why he's the only one we are culturing until I get some negatives then I will culture a few more. There are 8 animals involved so I can't afford to culture all of them every week.
We are only 2.5 weeks into treatment of the reignited ringworm fire, so maybe I am getting ahead of myself. Should I only be worried if he is still culturing positive after 4 weeks of treatment?
When will this nightmare end?!
Would anyone mind sharing how long it took for your ringworm treatment and cleaning to come to and end? I'm at the 8 week mark with probably 2 or more weeks to go.

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well after a year and a half later after my kitten (gotham) had ringworm, and a move to a new place. My oldest cat buddy just got diagnosed with ringworm. Since the move we added 2 more cats to our household, which brings the total number of cats up to 5. I don't know what I am going to do. I am freaking out. I don't have the money right now for this I just started a new job as of today so there isn't any funds coming in for the next two weeks as of now I just have 30 bucks to my name. I don't know how I am going to get though this.

TrashCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this. This has been such a nightmare for us too. Some cheaper but less effective products that others swear by are apple cider vinegar or olive oil. How do you think they got it? Do you think they were carrying it the whole time or did the new ones bring it in?

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will have to try apple cider vinegar thank you. I think they got it from outside. We had just finished the catio in our back yard a few weeks before it showed up on buddy.