6 Month old Siamese boys - getting them too "old"?

chikapee88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Siamese breeder I am working with offered me two boys that are about 6 months old or I can wait another three weeks for the 3 month olds. But get this they are normally $400 each and she would give me both boys for $475 plus I met them and they are sweet and playful with my husband and I. One is a wedge face and the other is apple face both chocholate points..

Everything seems great but can someone ease my mind? I feel like they may not attach to me as much as young little kittens would or something like that. Is that silly for me to think that? I hear so much that Siamese cats love the heck out of their humans and can't wait to experience that.

I will go insane if I have to wait another three weeks for the new litter of kittens where I can pick up the older babies this Sunday!!!

I'll appreciate any reassurance someone can offer because I am so looking forward to my new kittens however if I am making a huge mistake someone please tell me why.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Siamese breeder I am working with offered me two boys that are about 6 months old or I can wait another three weeks for the 3 month olds. But get this they are normally $400 each and she would give me both boys for $475 plus I met them and they are sweet and playful with my husband and I. One is a wedge face and the other is apple face both chocholate points..
Everything seems great but can someone ease my mind? I feel like they may not attach to me as much as young little kittens would or something like that. Is that silly for me to think that? I hear so much that Siamese cats love the heck out of their humans and can't wait to experience that.
I will go insane if I have to wait another three weeks for the new litter of kittens where I can pick up the older babies this Sunday!!!
I'll appreciate any reassurance someone can offer because I am so looking forward to my new kittens however if I am making a huge mistake someone please tell me why.
Nah.... I have three kitties at the moment.... I got Lucky when she was 8 months, Bugsy when he was a bit under 2yrs old, and Hope she had just turned 2..... All of them are just as attached to me - Bugsy is unbelievably attached.
Gracie, my RB :rbheart:, came to me at 12 years old.... She grew to love me so dearly, and me to love her with all my heart.... Be confident that you and your kittens will do just fine on that department.... :nod:
Good Luck! :wavey:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We adopted our first two cats at 6 months of age and I always tell people what a great age it is to get cats.  They are less needy, still cute and playful, but getting big enough that they are past the cute little kitten phase many people want (I felt like this meant they need a good home, stat.)  Health issues might not be a problem with a good breeder, but I felt like a 6 month old kitten was past the delicate health phase too.  Plus these were our first cats and I was nervous about a smaller kitten getting trapped behind the fridge or something.  As far as the bonding...there has been no problem whatsoever with that.  One has a very cautious personality so it took her time to warm up to us.  The other was loving right away, but has become even more loving over time.  Just try not to expect too much love too soon, be open to the way they show love and affection (they might not have much time for lap sitting with so much energy) and be confident that the bond will grow over time. 

A pair of 6 month old boys sound like so much fun!  Good luck.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got two nice, purebred siameses, they do like you and each other, and you got a bargain price!?

Dont wait, sign on.   :)

Nay, unless siameses are very peculiar, they will surely bond to you and yours DH.

It is a old prejudice they shall be young, preferably maximum 8 weeks, otherwise they dont bond properly.   It is not true even for dogs, and it is definitely not true for cats.

ONE example, is, all these adopted adult cats. Ex homeless or already "used" by other owners but by any reason needing a new home.  The do bond to their new owners.  It may take some time, but if the owner is kind, friendly and takes properly care - they do bond and love, more and more as time goes by.. 

You say perhaps its nothing particuraly with ex homeless or saved from a pound (= anot so good shelter). They are grateful, you say.  True!

But it is the same from "used", ex-owned too. When say the owner died or moved...  They DO bond and love even if already elderly.

Here you ARE already sure they are friends with each other, friendly, well behaving, healthy.

You dont have the same security with freshly buyed 12 weeks.

AND, if you are the least  intressed by shows (and breeding? are they neutered??) - NOW you know a little more what you get.  When thye are 12 weeks you really dont know how they will be as adults.

OK, the "bargain"... Of course, they arent 12 weeks any longer, so purely comercially they no longer carry full price behind them. It is easy to get a discount...  Still, you got a good deal here.

One question.  400 dollars for a pure bred Siamese with papers and everything, isnt so bloody.

I though the "rule of thumb" price is about 1000 american bucks?  So it is in Sweden.

(although I understand they arent the most typical, fashionable modern siameses).

Hope my words gave you some useful advice.

dont forget to report and give us pics!

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chikapee88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They do bond very well and I love how one is a wedge face and the other is apple face - I got the best of both I feel. I am not going to breed or do shows. I just need some love muffins in my life

I expected them to cost more also. The breeder was recommended to us by a family member who has owned Siamese cats for years upon years (purchased from the same breeder) and that also factors in to the price that she is giving us. But yea, that is a big difference from what you said. They definitely come with the papers and all that so I don't sense anything fishy.

Thanks for all the input, I am so excited and feel much better about the age. They will be coming to their new home this Sunday! I have everything ready and set up. Can't wait to see them play on the 72" cat tree right next to the back sliding door! Definitely posting pictures.

Thanks everyone.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese (and Orientals) are wonderful cats, usually intelligent, athletic, active, outgoing.  I'm sure they will settle in beautifully and you will wonder how you ever thought life was complete without them.  Getting two is so much better than one on it's own as they are also easily bored.  It does mean that some of the attention a single cat would give you gets given to the other cat, but to be honest they can be so demanding at times... 

Looking forward to the photos.

PS I have one of the few thick Orientals!  Or, he is so bright that he knows that seeming thick will get him an easy life. :)

chikapee88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Love your username haha :D A thick oriental? Beautiful, would love to see a pic!

Yes me and hubs work full time jobs so I would not settle for just one. Plus with my other cat Tommy who passed away - we would literally argue over cuddling with him lol so two babies will be just perfect. But good to note that they will also give affection to eachother at times instead of us. That's fine. I have never had two at once so I am looking forward to this experience.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting two is so much better than one on it's own as they are also easily bored.

Agree 2 is usually better with active breeds. I got one of my boys at 5-6 months and he's just as bonded as all the rest of the cats.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love your username haha
A thick oriental? Beautiful, would love to see a pic!
Yes me and hubs work full time jobs so I would not settle for just one. Plus with my other cat Tommy who passed away - we would literally argue over cuddling with him lol so two babies will be just perfect. But good to note that they will also give affection to eachother at times instead of us. That's fine. I have never had two at once so I am looking forward to this experience.
LOL!  Of course you might find the two of them are with one or the other of you...

Max (the thick one) woke me up this morning throwing up - he'd been chewing grass in the garden.  At least he did it before he got breakfast...

You asked about a photo.  Max is on the right cuddling Minnie on the left. 

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also worried about this.

When I got in contact with a breeder about getting a Siamese, she told me she had a 7mth old boy., I was VERY hesitant but I am impatient and didnt wanna wait so I jumped in and brought him home and WOW he is my velcro....sooooooo super attached, it's unbelievable.

I really dont think these babies will have any problems at all bonding with you and your hubby
 Cannot wait to see them!

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We rescue adult cats and have never had a bonding issue. The 18 year old we brought home 3 years ago is unbelievably attached to my DH. Same with our RB 7 year old we brought home 6.5 years ago.

6 months is still just a baby. Show us some pics when u bring them home.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We gave Spice to my brother when she was about 3 months old, maybe four. It was 6 weeks later when we gave him Sugar, after we got her over her giardia. She was a little shy at first, but both of them are now integrated into the "cat puddle" that surrounds him whenever he sits or lies down.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DSHs were both about three years old when I adopted them (they had been picked up as strays) - I also wondered if they would 'love' me.  Umm, if greeting me at the door every evening, sleeping with me, demanding to be petted, and following me from room to room means anything, they bonded with me very quickly. 

Cats do have their own personalities.  For example, my little girl is simply not a lap cat.  But she'll sit next to me on the sofa for hours sometimes - and put her head under my hand for a nice petting.  You never know quite how they'll show their affection - but I wouldn't worry that these kitties won't grow to love you.

chikapee88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OrientalSlave - what striking cats you have! Love how they are posing!

Everyone else commenting - this has really made me feel so confident in my decision. I am very grateful for all the input. Well look out for the pictures somewhere on this forum! I am picking them up tomorrow at noon. I haven't been this excited since my wedding day :lol3:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OrientalSlave - what striking cats you have! Love how they are posing!
Everyone else commenting - this has really made me feel so confident in my decision. I am very grateful for all the input. Well look out for the pictures somewhere on this forum! I am picking them up tomorrow at noon. I haven't been this excited since my wedding day :lol3:
:clap: that's great!

OrientalSlave- Max and Minnie are gorgeous creatures!

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a rescued feral at six months old and he is totally bonded with my husband and I. He did need some time to transition to his new life but he's the most loving cat with us now (we've had him since November). Actually ALL the cats I've ever had we got at about five or six months old, which I prefer, as they are a little hardier at that point.

EDIT: I just saw your photo. They are so cute! Glad it worked out well for you.....

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is the photo in another thread?  Where's the photo....must see kitty boys! 

vermontcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you get your two new Siamese cats today and did you post some new photos of them somewhere?

I got my two Siamese cats when they were 2 and 3 years old as a bonded pair when their former owners were moving out of state.

They quickly adjusted to their new home, it was easier with two of them since they knew each other already and they were braver about exploring.

They are both wonderful lap cats, I know you will be so happy with your new Siamese cats.

OrientalSlave, I just have to add, I love the photo of your two gorgeous cats cuddled up together.

Last edited: