6 month old kitten peed on me while I slept

mikeykitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I have 3 cats. Mikey is 2.5 years old. Bella is 6 months old (female) and Gizmo (male) is 6 months. Bella and Gizmo are siblings.

Mikey loves the kittens and the kittens love him. No one fights. They all get a long extremely well. They are all fixed.

Gizmo is extremely jealous. He wants all of my attention. He is especially jealous of Mikey. Lately, Mikey is not coming into my bedroom and Bella and Gizmo stay there all the time. I have noticed my purse and towels smelled like urine. Then, 2 nights ago, I woke up with cat urine on my leg.

It was definitely one of the kittens, but I am not sure which one.

The next day I took both kittens to the vet and had them thoroughly checked for urinary issues. I spent $252.00 to find out my cats are fine and that this is likely behavioral.

I have Feliway. I know it works to calm cats down, but I don't know if they will help with this issue.

I have not changed anything in their environment. They have not been under any stress and are acting very normal. They run and play and seem very happy. The only thing I can think is that it is Gizmo acting out with jealousy.

I definitely want this to stop asap, but am at a loss on how to fix it. Everything I research says to have them checked medically, which I did. It also says that changes in their environment cause stress, but there have been no changes.

They have 3 litter boxes and I keep them all very clean, scooping several times a day.

Any advice? Being peed up while I sleep was not fun!

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues- I know it can be very frustrating. As a preliminary step I'd add another box (I know 4 sounds like a lot but the rule of thumb is usually number of cats + 1) and stop leaving towels and purses in places they might get peed on. You might also want to consider how you are cleaning up these mishaps- are you using an enzyme cleaner to thoroughly remove the scent? Additionally how often do you scoop the boxes? You should really scoop them at least once a day, but some cats are picky and may require more.

How long has this been going on? Has it been a persistent problem? How are you sure it is the kittens and not your older cat? How did you initially litterbox train the kittens?

Good luck figuring this out.  If you can answer my questions I and others may be able to provide other suggestions.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try confining them at night, perhaps to the bathroom (easy to clean) or a really big dog crate? Maybe at their young age they need a little litter box boot camp to remember that that is where they are supposed to go? Sometimes the young ones get so excited or forgetful and they suddenly realize that they have to go NOW.

If you can figure out who it is, maybe consider Zylkene if you think it's a psychological problem. It's basically powdered casein (a protein found in milk) that breaks down and has an calming opioid-like effect. I'm a big fan, it works great for my kitties when the Feliway just isn't enough and I haven't found any side effects to it. Just open the capsule and sprinkle on food once a day.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recommend always checking with your vet before giving any medications or supplements, even 'natural' ones that are commonly regarded as safe, to verify that the vet thinks they are safe for your pet and to discuss appropriate dosages. 

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I don't know what the dosage is for a little 6 month old kitty. I've found that the price is about the same both at my vet and online (at least in the States).