5mo Kitten Lost A Tooth, Some Bleeding From Gums, Doesn't Look Bothered

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, Spock is probably the most complicated kitten I've had, I found a tooth on a blanket and a quick search told me that at 5mo it's really not that surprising. I checked for bleeding and he has a small spot that's bleeding on his gums. He seems completely fine, no sign of any pain, apart from some teeth grinding which he has always done so I assumed it was normal for some cats. Should I go see a vet or leave it alone?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Leave it alone. Check it again in a few days, maybe 3-4, just to be sure, but I'm betting that it will be healed, or almost so. You're right, he's at that age, and if you hadn't noticed the tooth on the blanket, this would have passed entirely unnoticed! Um...what is the tooth fairy going to bring him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leave it alone. Check it again in a few days, maybe 3-4, just to be sure, but I'm betting that it will be healed, or almost so. You're right, he's at that age, and if you hadn't noticed the tooth on the blanket, this would have passed entirely unnoticed! Um...what is the tooth fairy going to bring him?
Haha, he'll be getting a treat and a dental care toy! And for Christmas, some wet food, which gives him horrible gas but which he loves. Given that he's on kibble and fresh water, I'm sure the toy and wet food will leave him on a happy little cloud for a few weeks

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally normal like when you are a kid and lose a tooth. A little blood, etc. The tooth will grow back.

Keep up with a good wet food now as that will be best for him in the long run. Get past the gasiness and find something that works. Male cats block and get crystals and everything when fed only dry. Moisture is important and they don't get enough water just drinking from a bowl. That isn't a natural thing for them to do. In the wild the water comes from the meat. Dry kibble only dehydrates cats.

I know you didn't ask but just wanted to mention.

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totally normal like when you are a kid and lose a tooth. A little blood, etc. The tooth will grow back.

Keep up with a good wet food now as that will be best for him in the long run. Get past the gasiness and find something that works. Male cats block and get crystals and everything when fed only dry. Moisture is important and they don't get enough water just drinking from a bowl. That isn't a natural thing for them to do. In the wild the water comes from the meat. Dry kibble only dehydrates cats.

I know you didn't ask but just wanted to mention.
I've been looking for a halfway thing, but I also tend to wet his kibbles a bit, he adores it. Purely wet food doesn't work very well on his digestive track, so maybe a raw diet would work, or compensating with pumpkin. I've been planning to talk to a vet about what diet he can recommend anyway :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at the ingredients in the wet you have tried that didn't agree with him and try others. Raw can be tricky as you need to make sure you have all the right suppliments and many vets will not be knowledgable enough for it or even be supportive of you feeding raw. I am not trying to be discouraging but vets aren't nutritionists and many just stick with the prescription diets for health issues instead of really researching. Or they just suggest the name brands like Purina.

Wetting his kibble is great if he likes it. The more water you get into him the better.

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look at the ingredients in the wet you have tried that didn't agree with him and try others. Raw can be tricky as you need to make sure you have all the right suppliments and many vets will not be knowledgable enough for it or even be supportive of you feeding raw. I am not trying to be discouraging but vets aren't nutritionists and many just stick with the prescription diets for health issues instead of really researching. Or they just suggest the name brands like Purina.

Wetting his kibble is great if he likes it. The more water you get into him the better.
I've been trying, patés that are more protein based don't agree, anything with pees seems to not agree. Right now it's wet kibbles and water, and hopefully I'll find something eventually haha

Most of the cats I've had (even as a child) mainly ate kibbles, often wet, and it's only when I got the US that I learned of the wet food being preferrable thing, it's still an adjustement for me

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What Jen said and if that doesn't work then move to eliminating one protein at a time. I know some cats like peas, potatoes, rice, even corn, but that doesn't mean those foods like them. Back in ancient days, the vets were saying that feeding cats corn was a waste of your money and the cat's time. (which was interesting since it was heavy in the food the vet's sold, or purported to sell. ;)) It's actually not good for them.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're really worried, you can rub some pure (no additives) vitamin E oil on his gum where the tooth fell out, it can help stop that itchy sensation and sooth and help speed up healing. Otherwise, keep the baby tooth. You'll be glad you did in 10 years! :thumbsup:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I found a tooth on a blanket and a quick search told me that at 5mo it's really not that surprising. I checked for bleeding and he has a small spot that's bleeding on his gums. He seems completely fine, no sign of any pain,
At 5 months old, it is likely that your kitten is teething. You'll be able to find more teeth laying around if you look carefully. The one on the blanket could be due to his chewing on the blanket because when they are teething, they tend to bite on soft stuffs as their gums are sought of 'itchy' during teething and chewing on soft toys or towels or blankets are ways to ease the sensation.

Some baby teeth will be swallowed during eating. Teething will stop when they reach 7 months old when all the adult teeth are in, but of course, your kitten will matures at 1 year old if he's the normal breed.

If you find any more baby teeth, keep them precious little baby teeth!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a baby tooth when my girl was about that old. I thought it was a weird nail sheath at first and threw it away. Then regretted it when I figured out what it was.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the first time Charlie lost a tooth. He was being bad and attacking my arm, and he left a tooth embedded in my skin. I very briefly freaked out :lol:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They make teething 'rings' for kitties. We got several of SG. She ignored them, and managed to get her adult teeth just fine. But they are adorable little loops.

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is good you have been trying more. Avoid peas and potato and rice and any grains. Cats are obligate carnivores. They need protein and fat and as few carbs as possible. Check out this site: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats. You will learn a LOT.
What Jen said and if that doesn't work then move to eliminating one protein at a time. I know some cats like peas, potatoes, rice, even corn, but that doesn't mean those foods like them. Back in ancient days, the vets were saying that feeding cats corn was a waste of your money and the cat's time. (which was interesting since it was heavy in the food the vet's sold, or purported to sell. ;)) It's actually not good for them.
Just to update both of you, Spock is on one can of wet a day, plus kibbles, and I make sure he has fresh water. His stools are normal even with the wet food, so I'm over the moon, and he's still growing his little adult teeth! I'm glad I tried the wet food again, so thanks for convincing me. I don't know what changed, cause it's the same food as before, but maybe his digestive system is just better now, or the wet + dry everyday balance works better for him? Who knows! Either way, I'm sure he's getting enough water and that means no worrying about any urinary issues, at least not while he's a baby, and that's a huge weight off my shoulders!