5 Month Old Kitten Playing With Food

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed both wet and dry cat food to my kittens. They do eat the kibble and then a few minutes later they paw the food out of their bowls and plays with the kibble. (Imagine an intense soccer game).

Is there anything I can do to prevent this behavior? I have kibble all over the place.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try puzzle feeders for the dry food. They will have to play to even get the food out, and that might satisfy that hunt/catch/kill instinct that causes that particular behavior.

Something like this:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
TBH, I encourage playing with kibble and dry treats. I keep our feeder on a lipped tray to minimize the spread, sweeping up whatever gets out, but I toss food across the floor at times too. It activates their brain and engages their body. It's extremely natural for a cat to paw, push or chase their food so I've always thought of it dual parts exercise and satisfying for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try puzzle feeders for the dry food. They will have to play to even get the food out, and that might satisfy that hunt/catch/kill instinct that causes that particular behavior.

Something like this:

I like the puzzle feeder suggestion. My kitties can easily spend 20 minutes playing with their food. Thanks for the suggestion.