Kitten playing with kibbles

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok cat parents I need some advice. One year old Autumn prefers to play with her kibbles then eat them. She likes me to toss them then she dashes after it and bats it around. Before anyone says anything I give her 1/4 c grain free dry once a day. Anyway, before I end up with a stash of food under furniture how do I stop this? I try to just put it out for her but she'll sit there and wait. [emoji]128527[/emoji]

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure how to stop this behavior.  One of my 4 adult cats does the same thing but does not play with it.  I put my food bowls in my powder room and it seems to at least confine the mess to one room.  Thankfully my other three cats help clean up the mess Sonny leaves by eating the kibble after he knocks it out of the bowl.  He prefers to eat kibble with his paw and makes a mess.  He has done this since he was a baby.  I am friends with his foster mommy and she remembers him doing this as a kitten.  The only thing she tried that helped at all with the mess was to put the bowls on a large square tray with higher edges.  He still knocked the food out of the bowl but it kept the mess contained to the tray.  

Your cat is way more playful with her food so I am not sure if this idea with the tray would help you at all.  

Hopefully you will get some better advice soon.