5 day old kitten care tips.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope Dag can start gaining more soon and catch up with the others.

I know you're trying! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yep I am trying,I don't think the KMR I have is going to last me til Tuesday. It tends to get just about everywhere but In the kitten's bellys. I'm working on that one. I got about 2-3 droppers maybe more as I do several and the kitten lets me know when they are full then she decided that she didn't want anymore. hopefully it's enough to get her caught up some what, She's always been the runt weight wise.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whoops I slept through every alarm I had set last night. So I got up and weighed everyone first thing.

6am   11pm 9/6

Two  302      299 +4

Spot 310      308 +2

Tux   311      313  -2

Dag  290      277  +13

I must admit that I only got Dag fed last night then I kinda passed out. I will catch up the others as much as I can before I go into work at 3p and continue when I get home around 7p. But everyone was nursing from mom through the night too. I'm doing this alone and I just hope that I can manage to do it enough. I won't forget about anyone this time.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I really think you need an accurate scale, as I'm not sure if the weights can be relied upon. Is there any way you can get your hands on a different scale?

Last edited:

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep that's what I was thinking I don't have one now but i will have a new larger more accurate scale the 9th. Til then I'm stuck with the one I have. But the weights seem better for the most part. I'm watching activity levels and such too and they seem normal. the little ones are even raising up and looking for mom when she leaves the nest and to just look around.

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think if you can get a kitten bottle, it may make little Dag more interested in nursing.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've tried a bottle once it didn't really work out no one wanted it. The bottle I have is kinda hard to get to work unless I have a lot of milk in it. But I can try it again.

Weights for today taken with the scale I have already. I checked to make sure the bowl weight was the same each time before weighing the kittens and here are the results

Two      311        +15

Spot     320        +16

Tux       320        +19

Dag      298        +13

+numbers are gains since around 1pm yesterday.

They will be 3 weeks old the tenth/11th. o_O time to kitten proof.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the weights are accurate they are good. Hopefully, they will continue to gain. Yep, they will want to explore soon. Best to limit that to one room right now until they are a few weeks older.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think the weights are accurate. But it's hard to tell until I get the new scale. I know I will.  Since I have other cats in the house limiting the kittens to one room is safest anyway.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, we'll know more after you get the new scale. Is the flea problem better now?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes we will and yes it is kind of, I still spot a live flea or two on the kittens and try to get them off the kittens don't care for that to much though.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so i did an experiment with my scale and the kitten's weights. Weighing them often throughout the day to see how their weights changed according to the scale. here's the results I've gotten from 6am yesterday until 8am today. This isn't as consistent as I like. I was shooting for every 4 hours when I was supplementing but that didn't happen.

++numbers are gains in the last 23 hours

+/-numbers are differences in weight from the last 9hours.

9/6       6am   9am    2pm   7pm    11pm

Two      302    309    311      317      318

Spot     310    313    320      327     329

Tux       311    316    320      315     322

Dag      290   292    298      300     303

9/7         8am    

Two       324    ++15    +6

Spot      322    ++09    -7

Tux        323    ++07    +1

Dag       297   ++05     -6

New Scale should arrive some time tomorrow. Supplementing seems to be making the difference here though as I notice that the ones I skip a supplement with don't gain as much as the ones I do supplement. I'm off to start my day. Just wanted to post this to see what those more experienced than me think right now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
According to the weights posted this time, all 4 kittens gained weight during the last 24 hours, but then Spot & Dag both lost overnight most of what they gained, while Tux stayed the same.

What we really need to see is consistent gains and no losses. That's when we know they are feeding well.

Since they will be 3 weeks old Friday, their weights are in a healthy range. Three are around 11 ounces and one is 10 ounces. A good 3-week weight is 12 ounces. They should weigh close to a pound (16 ounces) at 4 weeks.

I would love to see bigger gains, but they seem to be doing well and are healthy. Clearly your supplementing has made the difference since it appears the mama cat does not have a lot of milk. I would continue supplementing until they wean to mush. Once they start solids their weight gain should pick up.

I look forward to seeing their weights with the new scale when it arrives :).

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah I'm trying tool though it's not easy to supplement everyone as a few aren't very cooperative but I manage to get some into them anyway.  I will keep up what I'm doing for now as it seems to be working. Just trying to get on a constant supplementing schedule With my work schedule it's complicated.  Also I just noticed Tux has teeth the little monster bit me. The new scale will be here sometime before 8pm central time tomorrow. I've got some new nipples coming too that should be easier for them to latch onto I think the nipples I have are to large for them to be able to latch onto. got a whole can of KMR powder ready to go. Just need to get a jug of water, the tap water in my area is horrible. I see what you mean by the over night changes not being good. We'll turn that around.

Last edited:

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got the new Scale today. I took weights from both scales not that far apart just maybe ten minutes and they came out about a gram off. Through the day they seem to gain okay. Though over night is when they seem to lose a lot of their weight Which is odd because that's when moma is confined in the room  with them. I guess I need to start having my fiance make sure I get up every four hours to supplement them over night as my alarms haven't been waking me up or my fiance is just turning them off before they can.  I will figure out some thing to get me up to feed them so I can them to improve. I also lost my log book and am currently looking for it.

9/8

11pm                 10:30am

Old Scale          New Scale

Two     330        340

Spot    331        334

Tux      342        332

Dag     310       306

However the Kittens are acting like kittens wrestling around, chewing on each other a bit and popping up to look around over the box edge. Not a lot of crying or anything going on.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't find your log book you can look back through the thread.  Some of the info is here.

Tux and Dag look like they lost a lot.  Did they wiggle on the scale?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
True that's what I'm doing.

They did a little bit but not to much. they where busy sniffing around the new bowl. I'm trying all kinds of stuff to supplement them. I'm also encouraging  moma cat to lay with them more often so they can nurse more often. I can get my fiance to do the same thing at night. It's just figuring out something that works right now I guess. Dag is still resistant to supplementing. Tux rather try to chew on the dropper but if I give him a dropper full a few drops at a time he's fine with it and will actually mew for more sometimes. After a few dropper fulls though he's done and wants back in the nest. It's the same with all of them really. They only take a few droppers worth of formula then want back in the nest. Sometimes moma leads be back to the nest and gets in with everyone when I put whichever one I have back.