5 day old kitten care tips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
True, I was having some luck with one then mom snuck up and tried to take him from me and he freaked out. Poor baby. I set him back in the nest for the moment to let everyone settle down and let myself calm down. I will just stay with the KMR as it's the easiest to get and have no confusion on what's what with it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That sounds good. Try feeding each baby in a room away from mom so she doesn't get upset.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I will, I'll figure something out. Having some luck with a few of them now getting more into them than everywhere else. So their figuring out the dropper has some good stuff in it.. Getting a few ML into each one every time a try and that's slowly going up.  All the little ones are asleep now and I'm going to try to get a bit of sleep myself been up since about 6am and It's now 15 after midnight. I feel a little better knowing I got something into everyone even though it wasn't much. They are very feisty, I'm taking that as a good sign. Good night for now. I will update in the morning.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got a few hours sleep and feeling much better myself. The kittens all did pretty well last night even though I slept for 4.5 hours and right through my alarm. Everyone was well when I woke up though. I think they are getting something from mom though it may not be much. Weights

9/5             9/5            9/6                   9/6

10:00am  7:30pm       1:00am        5:30am                         

1     285              286           281              287

2     295              293           296              299

3    302               289           293              293       

4    276               274           274              280

Well no one lost between 1am and 5:30 am that's a good thing right?

Now if I could only get the formula into the kittens and not everywhere but we'll be good.

So far it seems mom is taking care of the washing and potty assistance. They are also still suckling on her not sure if they are getting much if any milk. As 3 still seemed pretty hungry after nursing so I gave him some formula he drank a few droppers full then decided he was done. So I put him back in the nest.

hrm just putting a note here as I'm trying to figure out a good weighing schedule for these guys. Also adding in weights that I just got. this way I got everything in more than one place and it's easily view able from another comp if necessary mines messing up. anyways

8am 9/6   over all gains since 1am

1 292    +11

2 304    +8    

3 298    +5

4 283    +9

I think supplementing is helping going to keep doing it.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow - what a difference the supplementing is making!

Please keep it up. They really need much more than a few drops. Do you have a syringe? It would be easier than the dropper.

They are what - 16 days old today?

Nice job :).

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, they are getting more than a few drops now, as they are trying to suckle on the dropper. The syringes I have suck I tried to use one and it just didn't work out. So they are getting dropperfuls as many as they will take. I can usually get 3-4 dropperfuls into a kitten before they decide that's enough and try to wander off or keep turning away from it. I'll measure out a dropperful in MLs so we know how much is going into the babies. I got a different syringe too that I am going to try and see if it will do any better than the other ones. The other ones don't even suck up the milk I have to pour it through the top and it just runs right out the tip so I know they will drown the babies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, that wouldn't be good. You definitely need a syringe with a tight rubber piece inside.

Have you tried the bottle again? Cut a hole in the nipple that is big enough that one drop will come out when squeezed, but will not drip out on its own when held upside down. As the kittens grow you make the hole bigger. That's if they are interested in the bottle.

If not, keep feeding with whatever is working. It sounds like they are beginning to appreciate the extra milk.

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walmart and other pharmacies, will give you a regular dosing syringe for free if you ask, and those usually have very good seals on them, don't push on the plunger, the kitten will just drink right from the dropper bottom. One thing, if the kittens somehow end up with milk running out of their noses, immediately stop feeding and turn the kitten around, head facing down, to let the milk run out, as they really must not breathe it in, very bad if that does happen. Also make sure to always feed the kittens in the position they would be in if they were nursing from their mother, on their bellies with head up and slightly extended. I hope these little ones doe well. Are you feeding the liquid kmr or the powdered kind?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks for the info though I don't have a way to Walmart or anything right now. I have to work with what I have. But I did some experimenting and got a syringe to hold formula without it dripping out unless I shake it. The plunger has to be in exactly the right position for it to work. Now I know how to make that work. I may buy another one with a smaller tip and see what the kittens think about that when stores open up on tuesday. I hate being in a small town with no car.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's okay. Just work with what you've got. The important thing is that the kittens get supplemented without inhaling formula.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

thanks for the info though I don't have a way to Walmart or anything right now. I have to work with what I have. But I did some experimenting and got a syringe to hold formula without it dripping out unless I shake it. The plunger has to be in exactly the right position for it to work. Now I know how to make that work. I may buy another one with a smaller tip and see what the kittens think about that when stores open up on tuesday. I hate being in a small town with no car.
Okay, I think that will work, it is good they have their mother to clean them and keep them warm. Is what your using like an eye dropper?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep so far so good. No one's got any formula in the lungs yet. Yes I am using an eyedropper and can get about 1cc into the kitten at a time. But even only being able to do that a few times before they say no more and keep turning their head away from it is helping. As their weight is going back up and returning to where they should be. 

1:00pm  gained since 8am              

1 296     +4                                          

2  304    +0                                           

3 301     +3  

4 285     +2                                              

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spot must be the runt isn't he? He is much smaller than the rest. Do keep a good eye on his weight and growth, all of them but especially him, the littlest ones are most fragile. They really are a cute bunch.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are so cute!

How's the supplementing going? And are they still nursing mom too?

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
They are so cute! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ Two has a heart on his/her side, so sweet :)

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
spot is actually the second biggest, Dag is the runt.  Spots photo was taken a bit farther back than the others so he/she looks smaller.  Anyways weights for 8ish pm are

Two 301!

Spot 305!

Tux 310 !!

Dag 275 uh oh more tlc for Dag baby.

I'm keeping close tabs on everyone right now because their weights are bouncing around. My scale is also acting kinda odd. Looking into getting a different one. A bigger one the one I have is tiny and they are quickly out growing it. Yes everyone is still nursing from mom too.

Last edited:

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you. I don't get much in them and it takes for ever because they are little rebels especially Dag. I've just spent about an hour trying to get some KMR into her. But it's all worth it to see them gaining again.. they are also up exploring a little more. As long as no one figures out how to hop out of the box just yet we're okay.