5 Colony cats died since 9 months ago from same colony:(

vipers_rule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and 2 in the last 3 days:( Colony was a strong 7 regulars, now down to 2. 1 hit by car, one cancer, 1 old age, 1 liver cancer and dental disease with oral fistula, latest one yesterday from end stage liver disease (pot belly)- Plus about 5 others from 2 other colonies in the last 12 months, i used to feed 6 locations about 30 cats down to probably 15 now. All fixed by me, Ive fixed over 500 cats in the last 10 years since starting this. I live in Windsor Ontario Canada, am 49 year old male. Luckily we have a $50 tnr program at our local humane society- fixing, eartip, microchip for only $50. I also have about 11 at home inside and outside. I also train dogs and trap colony cats to help people get them fixed for a small fair fee. I do everything- stay with the traps while trapping, transport both ways etc.

tails up

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and 2 in the last 3 days:( Colony was a strong 7 regulars, now down to 2. 1 hit by car, one cancer, 1 old age, 1 liver cancer and dental disease with oral fistula, latest one yesterday from end stage liver disease (pot belly)- Plus about 5 others from 2 other colonies in the last 12 months, i used to feed 6 locations about 30 cats down to probably 15 now. All fixed by me, Ive fixed over 500 cats in the last 10 years since starting this. I live in Windsor Ontario Canada, am 49 year old male. Luckily we have a $50 tnr program at our local humane society- fixing, eartip, microchip for only $50. I also have about 11 at home inside and outside. I also train dogs and trap colony cats to help people get them fixed for a small fair fee. I do everything- stay with the traps while trapping, transport both ways etc.
Wow. You sound exactly like me except you are doing this in Canada and I am in the USA. I am so sorry that you have been so hard hit lately with death. It's heartbreaking and takes so much out of you. You are doing so much good for these beautiful kitties. Thank you for doing so much to contribute. My husband and I have around one dozen cats who live on our property now and all but 2 are spayed and neutered. We had a kitten come up a few months ago and the other cat has immune issues so the vet thinks we should wait on her surgery. We have had to trap cats around our area because people just let them have litter after litter, and continue to not care for them. I cannot stand by and watch this so I am the crazy cat lady now I guess lol. We have spent so much money on vetting these stray cats. Some of them have continued on their journey elsewhere, but at least they are ear tipped so that people will know they are sterile. We feed cats in 4 areas, and haven't lost one in over a year and a half. Feline leukemia runs rampant here so we are no strangers to sickness and death. You should see our cemetery in the backyard....we have about 15 graves so far. It breaks my heart because I get so emotionally attached to the cats and love them so much. I get so much joy seeing them thrive and just live their lives. We have even installed a cat "door" in one of our window panes so that the cats who wish to come inside can come and go as they please. Some prefer outside 99% of the time, but some love being inside. During extreme weather conditions, most of the cats will find their way inside and hang out until the weather passes.

I hope you know how much your work is appreciated and how much It means. Thank goodness for people like you in this world. May your feelings of loss ease quickly and allow peace to take its place. RIP to the 5 you have lost.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of on stun reading both of these: you are both saints. I would love to know how you manage to find time for yourselves and rest -just for a bit- in order to be present for so many lives! Is there a collective nap time? Do you just sort of become a cat too? THANK YOU, thank you, for improving the quality of feral cat lives. And a lot birds thank you too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vipers_rule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kind of on stun reading both of these: you are both saints. I would love to know how you manage to find time for yourselves and rest -just for a bit- in order to be present for so many lives! Is there a collective nap time? Do you just sort of become a cat too? THANK YOU, thank you, for improving the quality of feral cat lives. And a lot birds thank you too.

no kids or wife:)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you restore my faith in man.....it's nice to be able to think of someone who lives a life of helping and truly doing good for the cats of the world. Sometimes you get into that 'I'm alone in the world' mindset, especially after seeing/experiencing so much horror and suffering in this world with these precious little ones. My hat's off to you!
I'll pray for your little ones who have passed on, even when you have so many to care for, each and everyone is engraved onto your heart, the love you share is a permanent part of your soul. I too, know the heartache and pain that comes from loving and caring for colonies, and the strays that are so regularly and systematically dumped. My heart, like yours, breaks for each and every one of them. We here at this site can empathize with you, can offer what comfort we can, because we truly appreciate what you are doing.
Each and every one of those little ones are bonded to your soul. You gave them something that is irreplaceable, someone to care and love them. This bond can never be taken from you, never be broken. It is spiritual, so eternal. I thank God that there are people like you in this world, it gives me the incentive to go on.
There will be heartache in doing what you are doing, it is inevitable. But what you have gained is worth so much more. Thank you for leaving this tribute and telling us your story. May God bless you and watch over you in the future!
My heart breaks for your pain. I know it too well. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Take care......RIP little ones. you will never be forgotten, you will all have secure places in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I always believe that heroes need no capes, and they just go about their daily lives not really hidden from the world but are doing such amazing deeds every single day, without expecting anything by return -- just like you V vipers_rule .

May your kind increase, because love and compassion are contagious.

I am sorry for the cats you have loved and lost. I am sure they have known kindness and love while on earth.

As for the dogs, I wish I could bring one of mine for you to train. LOL. He is one naughty little rascal, but I also love dearly.

Welcome to TCS btw.

rvf4uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any advice on the liver cancer kitties? Could you do anything for them? How long was prognosis? Did they seem to suffer? My boy has just been diagnosed though not sure until tomorrow which type, but probably lymphoma as has it in his liver, spleen and lymph though he is still eating, drinking, walking and climbing but he's 14 now and his poop is yellow plus he can't settle happily or get comfy. Been told chemo is an option as too advanced for surgery but he hates the vet and car journey so worried the stress will outweigh the chemo benefits (if it works) and no idea about cost yet as the bloodwork, urine test, ultrasound, meds and biopsy have been $1500 so far. Thx

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might start your own thread and see if there are others who have gone through this and can help. My own experiences are that at age 14, even with chemo, it only extends life for a short while. I would just make sure your little one is as comfortable as you can make him, make SURE you have a pain med on hand from the vet if things suddenly take a turn for the worse. I will always regret not having one. As long as he is eating/drinking/using the litter box and not hiding, he is wanting to go on. My own cats have leukemia and are on LifeGold, a supplement for cancers. (Amazon, Walmart, Pet med sites)It may help to slow it a bit. I'm so sorry, I'll pray for your little one......

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
V vipers_rule , you nearly sound like me. In the last two decades I have spent so much money that I could have bought another house, or several new cars.
But I preferred to give priority to cats, both ferals and mine.
I've fixed not fewer than 50 cats so far, part of them paid for by the town council, part by me. But all the medical expenses for any health issues came out of my wallet. Thousands and thousands euro for cats that weren't even mine, and that once they recovered didn't even let me go close to them. But I didn't care, I just wanted them to be well.
And just like you, I had to see my colony go from in excess of 30 cats down to fewer than 15 now in a matter of two years or so.
A few of them were hit by cars, others simply disappeared or didn't let me help them when they were sick.

So, I know what you feel and I know how much effort it takes to keep them well and happy, and how many hours of sleep you may have lost when something wasn't right with them.

Hats off to you, my friend.