5-8 week old kitten with fleas!

Artchic528

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just rescued a tiny grey tabby kitten from the streets I’ve named Ollie and of course, he has fleas. Since he’s around 5-8 weeks old he’s not old enough for conventional flea treatments so I’ve done two Dawn dish soap baths and a thorough combing with a flea comb. I think I’m making headway! I dewormed him with pyrentol suspension (I work with a rescue and have a bottle of it for such a thing) and his little belly still looks rather round. He’s only a pound so I think he’s undersized for his age, most likely due to the intestinal parasites/worms and malnutrition.

My question is that after his second dish soap bath, he’s began to shiver and shake violently and sniffle and breath heavy. He has somewhat of an upper respiratory infection as it is, so I’m concerned he’s aspirated some of the bath water. We’ve spent the last half an hour or so snuggling on the couch together with him on my chest and covered in a blanket. He’s only just now stopped shaking/shivering and breathing heavily and snuffling. Was he just stressed from the ordeal? I’ve read that kittens can begin to breathe erratically when stressed. He was obviously not thrilled with the concept either time and made it very clear by voicing his displeasure and squirming a lot. I don’t feel right doing this a third time so I hope I got all the fleas.

I also want to make sure he’s on the right path to being healthy so I’m taking him to get seen by a vet on Sunday. I work at a pet store and a vet comes by every other Sunday to run a pop up clinic for much cheaper than a conventional vet visit would cost.

I want to do what’s right for Ollie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artchic528

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It occurs to me that I’m not 100% on Ollie’s sex. I’m thinking he’s a boy but my record on correctly sexing kittens isn’t all that great. Am I right? Also, a pic of his other side so you can see his sweet face.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he may need clavamox to clear an upper respiratory infection, and please do not bathe him again right now. He looks big enough that you can put a couple drops of Advantage II for Kittens on the back of his neck for fleas. You’ll need to see a vet for the clavamox.

Is he eating and pooping well? It’s not unusual for kittens to have big bellies. They tend to elongate as they grow. If he’s been treated for worms his belly is probably a normal kitten belly.

Thanks for saving him! 😊

Artchic528

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he may need clavamox to clear an upper respiratory infection, and please do not bathe him again right now. He looks big enough that you can put a couple drops of Advantage II for Kittens on the back of his neck for fleas. You’ll need to see a vet for the clavamox.

Is he eating and pooping well? It’s not unusual for kittens to have big bellies. They tend to elongate as they grow. If he’s been treated for worms his belly is probably a normal kitten belly.

Thanks for saving him! 😊
I am pretty sure he has an URI as one eye has discharge and he sneezes every once in a while. I am going to ask the vet on Sunday what I should do. I am hesitant to use Advantage II as the box says for kittens as young as 9 weeks old and 2lbs and over. Ollie is just over a pound in weight and 5-8 weeks old. I’m pretty sure he’s tiny for his age though from having parasites and malnutrition. It won’t hurt him to use a few drops?

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely a boy. You should take him to the vet for a check up and their recommendations on flea prevention. They can also estimate his age based on his weight. I think he's older than you think.

Artchic528

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m taking him to see a vet on Sunday. I am also thinking he is older than he looks size wise as he’s got all his teeth and acts like an 8 week old kitten vs a 5 week old one. Like I said, he’s probably tiny for his age due to intestinal parasites and malnutrition from his days on the streets. He’s very sweet and loves to curl up on my chest and sleep. Probably because it’s warm and because he can feel my heart beat and it comforts him. Whenever I so much as pick him up he’s non stop purring. I just have to redirect his attempts at playing with my hands. He keeps thinking that they are toys and it’s some sort of fun game.