5 1/2 Month Old Kitten Quarantined

SnowandDali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been searching, googling and trying to be on point with this. We have an 8 year adult cat and my kitten. My kitten had roundworms, fleas and a tick when we first got her in July, shes a rescue as a matter of fact, We treated her for all of that and kept her quarantined in a crate during that month. My vet cleared her from the parasites and fleas after checking her, but advise that I kept giving her revolution. So i figure to not give it to her anymore after the 2nd dose thinking because shes an indoor kitty, that she doesn't need it. In the beginning of October she vomitted a roundworm. Fecal exam came back positive. I took her to the vet and she gave her profender, and recommended my adult cat to take revolution 2 weeks later. 2 weeks later i gave the both of them revolution. I was expecting to see worms in my adult cats feces. Nothing. I checked a few more times and nothing at all. I assume he never contracted it from my kitten. But my main concern is my kitten and the environment. There hasnt been exact information on how to maintain a house hold with a kitten that has roundworms. Vet recommended basic cleaning, vaccuming, wiping down furniture and wash bedding every week. I also change her litter and clean out her box every week. I am hoping and praying i am on point with this. I know humans can contract worms from their cat from not washing their hands after handling litter. Am I doing the right thing? How long will this roundworm situation will go for? I even bought 6 months wort h of revolution for both of my cats. I hate keeping her in small room and want her to roam around the apartment again. If there is anyway anyone has proper advice and experience with this please comment below. I am so ocd with this whole situation.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think if you double check with your vet about your concerns, she sounds as though she knows what will be safe to do.

Hang in there!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From what I've read, when you have a case of roundworms in the house, you should really scoop any poop as soon as you can, and then thoroughly clean out the litter box (using a little bleach in water) at least once a week and replace the litter with fresh. Some people also say if you can catch the kitten immediately after they go potty, clean them up with a damp paper towel rather than let them clean themselves, that way they have a lesser chance of reingesting a larvae.

Dosing the cat usually requires at least THREE doses, waiting about two weeks between each dose. AND, unfortunately, sometimes the cats will test negative but still have them :sigh:, so you really do NOT want to skip that third dose.

I think you're on point with your cleaning. Wash all bedding once a week, theirs and yours. Some people quarantine, others don't. Just be sure to wash your hands well after scooping out the litter box so you don't risk getting them yourself, whether the little girl is in quarantine or not.

We have quite a few threads about kittens with roundworm, here's just one: Re-occurring Roundworms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SnowandDali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the advice!!! I will make sure to be on top of her meds. I want to give her the best life possible, considering she is my first pet. Im taking her back to the vet for a recheck up end of this month. She will possibly get her third dose of profender as well.

SnowandDali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I think if you double check with your vet about your concerns, she sounds as though she knows what will be safe to do.

Hang in there!
Thank you so much! I will be taking her to the vet for a re check up and a third dose of profender end of this month.

SnowandDali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet update. (Roundworm Anxiety Part 2)
I took her to the vet last week. Brought in both stools from both cats. Next day they were tested negative from the fecal exam. (GREAT NEWS!). The vet tells me I can start integrating my cats again, and its OKAY that if they can use the same litter box. I took her out of quarantine,(I feel so bad for keeping her cooped up in a room) roaming around the apt and such, she was a happy girl. My kitten has a thing with using my adult cats litter box to do her business in. So she has been doing it for a week. YESTERDAY, I made a strange discovery in the litterbox, that they share, of a strange looking melted white object that looked plastic. At first, I thought it was the roundworms again or a plastic object that she swallowed by accident. So much ran through my mind that I bagged it and took it to the vet so they can examine it. The vet confirms it is roundworms that were fried up and dead since she's on Revolution (both cats are on Revolution). I wouldn't have expected her to have anymore existing roundworms since shes on Revolution but I guess its the aftermath from a previous reinfection. So I asked the Vet more questions about this RW situation.

"Are the dead roundworms contagious once passed through the stool?"
No

"Can my cats continue sharing the same litter box?"
Yes, since they were tested negative in their fecal exam its okay to do so. Just monitor both their stools in case you see any living roundworms for now (especially the kitten's). If there are, it is best to give a dose of Profender if that is the case, but I think it won't be since they both are on monthly Revolution. If you want to be extra careful have her use her own litter box. (Which I might not do)

"Can I pick her up, cuddle with her and kiss her?"
Since she's negative in her stool exam, Yes you can.
But please continue the routine cleaning of the litter box and environment.

"How long will it take to get rid of the roundworms for her?"
It takes about 3 months, it is important to keep up with the monthly meds for both cats in order to rid of them completely.
You are pretty much at the finish line for ridding them, so let's hope this month with the medications will finish the job.

So this is the information I received from my Vet, which I am sharing with all you who are also going through a similar situation and researching. I plan on getting the profender sometime next week. Vet also recommends for another fecal exam from both cats by the end of this month just to keep track.

SO I am hopeful, that by the end of this month or so they are gone, *crosses finger*.
If anyone has any input, or advice based upon their experience with RW, please feel free to share!!

Let us know what they say :vibes::redheartpump:
From what I've read, when you have a case of roundworms in the house, you should really scoop any poop as soon as you can, and then thoroughly clean out the litter box (using a little bleach in water) at least once a week and replace the litter with fresh. Some people also say if you can catch the kitten immediately after they go potty, clean them up with a damp paper towel rather than let them clean themselves, that way they have a lesser chance of reingesting a larvae.

Dosing the cat usually requires at least THREE doses, waiting about two weeks between each dose. AND, unfortunately, sometimes the cats will test negative but still have them :sigh:, so you really do NOT want to skip that third dose.

I think you're on point with your cleaning. Wash all bedding once a week, theirs and yours. Some people quarantine, others don't. Just be sure to wash your hands well after scooping out the litter box so you don't risk getting them yourself, whether the little girl is in quarantine or not.

We have quite a few threads about kittens with roundworm, here's just one: Re-occurring Roundworms.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great info! Thanks for the info, and so glad you are able to snuggle your furbaby now :cloud9: