Re-occurring Roundworms.

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I have 3 cats that all get de-wormed at the vet every 6 months. I got a new kitten in October who had about 3 rounds of de-worming over the course of the first 2 months approx. Recently he had diarrhea and we brought in a sample and it tested positive for roundworms. So obviously those 3 rounds of de-worming either didn't work or somehow he picked them up again. So I'm picking up de-worming medication at the vet today for all 3 of the cats. My question is, what needs to be washed around the house now since the cats lay on everything. I know I have to keep washing out the litter pans but do I need to wash all the cats bedding, and our bedding and literally everything they have touched....seems impossible so what is the best way to handle this kind of situation. I also don't know how you can ever be sure you've killed all the worms and larvae because if they are able to lay dormant how can you be sure you've ever completely gotten them all out? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would wash their bedding and your own, but not worry so very much about hard surfaces around the house. Bear in mind that those sneaky little parasites can easily hide in the folds of the intestines and take several bouts of medicine to eradicate. And it is possible that the eggs or larvae might have even hitchhiked in from outside on your shoes. That's how human children pick them up, going outside barefoot, or playing in sandboxes outside, even if no visible fecal matter is present.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would wash their bedding and your own, but not worry so very much about hard surfaces around the house. Bear in mind that those sneaky little parasites can easily hide in the folds of the intestines and take several bouts of medicine to eradicate. And it is possible that the eggs or larvae might have even hitchhiked in from outside on your shoes. That's how human children pick them up, going outside barefoot, or playing in sandboxes outside, even if no visible fecal matter is present.
oh how horrible!!! i just feel like i've been dealing with worms for some time....I'm starting to think the kitten I got last year maybe never got rid of them. I just don't know how anyone ever knows when they are finally gone from the poor cats!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You really never know. You just do everything you can, keep them wormed regularly, and trust to the Graces that you got the nasty brats.

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess that's all I really can do at this point!! =)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yup. Darlin, this is what a reasonably long life has taught me, you can only do what you can do, and after that, you don't sweat the small stuff. As my father used to say, "I refuse to be nibbled to death by pissants."

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup. Darlin, this is what a reasonably long life has taught me, you can only do what you can do, and after that, you don't sweat the small stuff. As my father used to say, "I refuse to be nibbled to death by pissants."
very good advice! =)