4 yr old cat from shelter not using litter boxes

chesslearner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  • I adopted her 4 days ago.
  • On the first 2 days, she stayed in the bathroom with food/water and a litter box. She used the litter box twice.
  • On the 3rd day she came out to explore the rest of the apartment. I moved the litter box out because tiny bathroom.
  • Since then, the cat keeps peeing on the door mat after scratching and lifting it.
  • I bought 3 more litter boxes with different designs/litter. I placed one on the door mat and the rest all around. She still will not use any of the litter boxes.
  • Should I trash the carpet? What else can I do?
Please help. I'm a first time cat owner. Thanks!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have other cats? Sounds like you do not. Did you have any other animals? Does your home have any other animal scents?

Make sure you clean the pee using an enzymatic cleaner. Since she keep peeing there she may think that that is the place she should so you need to remove that scent in that area.

How To Remove Cat Urine – Cat Articles

Here is an article that could be helpful.

How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box – Cat Articles

I am so glad you put a litter box where she peed.

Also, try to put them in different spots. Hidden, etc.

Cats go out of the litter box for medical or behavioral reasons.

Stress is a big reason why cats go outside of a litter box. So try to stay as calm and confident as possible. Be loving to your new kitty. Don't force attention or stand over her etc. Use food to build trust and a bond.

Cats also can "mark" to own territory so make sure she has a cat tree and a scratching post so she can get her scent on more things to "own". Also, warm and comfy bedding. Anything she can get her scent on.

A cat's instinct is to use a litter box to cover their scent so we have instinct on our side and we'll solve this.

Is she going more often than normal? Do you notice any paw issues?

I am guessing she was a little overwhelmed when let out of the bathroom and the move of the litter box confused her. But we'll see.

We will solve this so don't worry.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should have posted this as well and not assumed anything.

Please feel free to post anything anytime and we'll help you through this or anything else. We are happy to help.

Thanks for saving a life and giving her a great home!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on being a new cat parent. Sorry though about the litter box issues.

If the mat is easily cleaned, then cleaning with an enzyme cleaner, may be enough. If the urine when through to the floor, make sure you clean that with an enzyme cleaner as well. You want to ensure her urine scent is completely gone, or so might continue peeing there.

How Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions | TheCatSite

Is she using any of the litter boxes at all? What about for pooping?