4 Week Old Kitten Help?? Am I Being Paranoid?!

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I joined the site because I want to eliminate another trip to the vet, but I've got a concern. Let me begin with some back story.
My 9 month old female cat had kittens a month ago. We didn't want this, but she managed to get lose (and trust me, because of the stress this has caused me as owner, she is getting spayed as soon as she dries up. She had a problematic pregnancy, with lots of false labors in the weeks leading up to the big day. Her first born was still born. Two weeks in, we lost one kitten suddenly. Fine one day, sick the next, and dead the following morning (sugar water wasn't working and he completely stopped eating). Just a couple of days later the same thing happened with another kitten. Now I've got one left. For fear of losing Saffire (the final kitten) we took her in to the vet. We were told she is perfectly healthy, for the most part flea free, with no signs of illness. Momma cat is very attentive. But little saffire is now crying xonstantco. She doesn't act like she's in pain when I rub her tummy and her tummy isn't hard. She doesn't look think or dehydrated. She's very alert and active. I'll add a picture I took just a few moments ago after mom and I finally got her to go back to sleep!
Is there any other reason she would be crying? She has a heat pad available to her, mom is nursing her, and I've been giving her some slurry to ready her to be weaned.
Is something wrong, or am I just being paranoid?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Crying constantly not xonsant (or however I misspelled it)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There could be something cogential that took the other two kittens. At this point all you can do is make sure she is clean, pottied, fed and warm. Once she gets a little older you can get x-rays taken to see if there is anything obvious showing up. There are a few things like heart issues and minor misalignments internally that will self correct given time but can kill when they are very young.

You can call around and find a vet who is comfortable with neonatal cats to give a good look at your remaining kitten. Blood work and x-rays to see if anything stands now. But it really does sound like you are doing everything you can at this point.

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a vet visit very recently. They refrained from blood tests, but performed an ultrasound. Everything came back okay. Now we're just dealing with constant crying. She's fed and full and has been stimulated by momma cat. Seems outwardly healthy, just suddenly very vocal and needy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is the kitten? She may be simply more aware of her surroundings and has found her voice.

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
4 weeks today. Do kittens this toung understand when they're alone suddenly? Because I got up and left her alone and immediately she woke up and began crying...

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh man. That's heartbreaking. I appreciate your replies. I'll have to find some way to be able to carry her around while I do what I need to, in cases where mom is ratinf or taking a break. Can I re use this thread if anything else comes up?

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
**eating not rafting

Autocorrect hates me. And I don't know how yo edit!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your on mobile there should be three little lines at the bottom of your post. Click and it will give you an edit option. On the full site I believe it’s a pencil icon but I am usually mobile.

And yes, you can continue on this thread if anything else comes up. You can also @ any of us when you add something new so we get alerts about it if you need more urgent help.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your situation such that you can be a "stay at home" with this kitten for awhile. I agree, she realizes her litter mates are gone and she is feeling the grief of them being absent. Glad to hear that young mom is very attentive towards her. She is 4 weeks old, an excellent time now if you haven't already started to bond even closer to her. On you tube, ever hear of the "kitten lady"? When she is fostering young kittens, she will carry them around tucked tucked down her shirt, etc. so that the kitten feels cozy and secure. When she can't be with mom, say mom is taking a break, you can step in and go about your business at home with the little tyke cozily strapped on you. Her mom in not much more than a baby herself and would probably appreciate you helping out in that respect. I have a feeling that kitten would enjoy such treatment. ;):)

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am a homemakerh so I am available to her. I've finally gotten her to fall asleep, into a deep sleep (much needed, she was up for close to 4 hours this morning) so she's quiet and I assume content.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got good advices. I want to add re the emergency sugarwater. The Idea is good, but do not use common sugar - as it too must be digested, but something containing glucose sugar / dextrose. In practice it will be honey or white caro syrup. These both do contain some glucose.
Glucose sugar doesnt need to be digested, goes into blood already from mouth.

And yes, I too recommend this frequently for weak kittens whom perhaps stopped the digesting...

I also managed to shut off the autocorrect on my Iphone, and also, shut off the turning of content to the position of the phone.
Both these shutting immediately enhanced usefulness of the Iphone by 50%.

NOW its just my only stupidity which is the limit. Before that I had also to fight with the stupidity of the Iphone constructors.

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure what the syrup was called, I had gotten it from a friend who brought me some supplies when the first kitten started fading. I've got that in the pantry as well as a whole assortment of cat friendly otc meds. I've got experience with adult cats, just not much with kittens (generally good about getting them fixed before they get knocked up). Usually it's the auto correct not working where the issue comes in. Its an Android yoo. But it'll correct things like 'correct' but not words like correctly.....it worked that time LMAO
As far as the first two, the only answer I could get was FKS. No vet could see them quickly enough and the only emergency vet available wanted us to just put them down.

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ mazie mazie Kieka Kieka

Hello, me again. Hope I'm not a bother. My kitten has developed a yellow brown runny diahrrea. She's in pain, because she wakes up frantically crying when she needs to go. Her diet I'd mostly mom's milk, with a once a day attempt at kmr/canned kitten food slurry. She's not running fever, but she is more tired than usual. She's still respondent and I'm able to get her to lick about 1 ml of Pedialyte.
What else can I do to even out her bowel movements? My husband is picking up some lb baby food and I have goat's milk on hand. Or is it more of a concern? It'll be a minimum of 2 days before I can get her in at the vets, so I'm hoping to be able to correct it at home.

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick note; she is nursing right now.
Do I have to make the slurry with milk replacement? Or can I just use filtered water?

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I retract that statement. I think mom is dried up. She is frantically seeking a new place and is rotating between three. But won't latch.

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The good news is she is eating slurry more than willingly, though I opted to use goat's milk instead of kmr. I'm not sure this is the right move or not. But I'm afraid that the kmr is giving her digestive problems. I still want to know if I can use plain water instead of any milks though, at least until she is pooping normally?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use pedialyte as diluting, it contains both salts and some glucose sugar.

I agree with you to go for goats milk as its a mild alternative