4-5 Week Rescue, No Elimination Since Yesterday + Other ??'s

kitkaturday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought in a kitten that was abandoned by mom, seems about 4 weeks old. He had been motionless in one spot for about three days. He weighs about a pound and has teeth but does not seem to know how to eat on his own.

A rescue shelter helped me out with Clavamox for sniffles and Terramycin for infected eyes and said they'd take him in next week.

After trial and error, I managed to syringe- and bottle-feed him about 2 oz evaporated milk and 2 tablespoons meat-only baby food. Today I will get him KMR to improve his nutrition.

He has been indoors for about 18 hours, mostly sleeping. He seems a bit overwhelmed, not exploring yet, just stays where I put him in a kitty bed in a quiet room.

He hasn't pooped or peed yet. Should I start worrying? What should I do to help? I tried gently rubbing his tushy end to encourage him, and put him in a little litter box where he promptly fell asleep.

Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is probably so dehydrated that he cannot pee or poop. He may be weak as well if he went so long without food.

Add a bit of honey to the formula, as well as a drop or two of oil. The honey will help to perk him up, and the oil will help to move his bowels in time. It could still be another day or two though. His system is recovering.

He will fare better if you can continue to foster him until he is at least 8 weeks old, if the rescue will let you, since he needs so much care.

He needs feeding every four hours right now.

Please post a picture and let us know how he is doing.

Thank you for saving him! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkaturday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I am relieved to know it may take some time. I think the Clavamox is making him sleepy, too.

I'll do what you said and also get the KMR for more rounded nutrients. Will post a pic later.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you fed him since the first time?

He may need feeding smaller amounts more often, like every 2 hours, for a day or two while his system recovers.

He may be sleepy because he feels safe and can finally relax. Kittens do sleep alot in general.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try stimulating with something different. My kitten preferred a warm washcloth at that age, if I used anything else (kleenex, cotton balls, paper towel etc) he couldn't go. If you need to, when you're starting to learn about him, flip him on his back so you can see what you're doing, but be prepared to get sprayed. lol As you're getting fluids into him he should be peeing soon, the bowel movement may take a bit though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that a wash cloth may work better than a paper towel.

He needs to be hydrated though.

kitkaturday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your advice and help.

He is next to me (quiet home office), on a bed in a covered carrier, seems content but very, very quiet. I think the recent neglect outdoors, new situation, and medication are all making him sleepy.

I've been feeding him quite frequently, he's taken in almost 3/4 ounce since my first post a couple of hours ago. So it's going slow but steady. Will get the KMR later today, which he will probably like better.

I will try stimulating with a wet washcloth. I also lined his bed with puppy pee pads in case he goes spontaneously.

He's so tiny! I looked at the big litterbox, looked at him, and pulled out the cover of a shoebox instead, LOL, for when he's ready.

Pic coming!

Edit: A drop of maple syrup and a drop of oil seems to have made his formula much tastier to him!

Last edited:

kitkaturday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all!!!

He made. IT STANK!!! OMG!!!

He's washed, he's dried, he's dozing. Everything but the cat is in the washing machine. Next stop, litterbox training.

I am much relieved, now he's shown he can do everything needed to survive. He's a sturdy little fellow.

Will update with pic and hopefully all good news from hereon in.

kitkaturday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all again for the help and hand-holding!

Kitty is responding well to meds and recuperating from his rough start in life, when he snuggled up to a mop under my neighbor's porch to get warm. He weighs 1 lb 14 oz and is taking bigger amounts of KMR each day. He's purring like a well-tuned motor, learning to use his little litter pan and is storing up enough kisses to last a long time.

After the weekend I will get him into the shelter that helped me out when I found him so they can find him a purrever home. For now I'm calling him Riley, because I hope that very soon he will really be living the life of Riley.

You have all been terrific!

And now, without further ado, heeeeere's Riley!
IMG_20170609_104054c.jpg

kitkaturday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is precious! But my goodness, I forgot how much work babies are!

He's not eating on his own yet. I've been trying to give him baby food (plain chicken puree) and some KMR in a plate, but he's not ready. I'm going to keep trying, though. He did take some baby food from a spoon before he discovered the deliciousness that is KMR.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think you should turn him over to the shelter until he is eating soft foods on his own.

Or did you mean just for an exam and to get him into the system for when he is minimum 8 weeks old?