3yr old mama cat stray/feral

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashl3igh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Reyna allowed me and my sister to pick her up with a blanket and cover her head so we could cut her nails, she did amazingly. No hissing, growling or fighting. Right now I am in the process of moving her babies in my room and fixing up the spare room for her to have more room and freedom. Since she is coming out of the cage alot more and playing.

Also today she seen her second litter (the 5 month olds). I kept her in the cage bec I was unsure of her. But all she did was make a little noise and headbutt the cage. I was so happy 😊 I think she is coming along perfectly!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Reyna allowed me and my sister to pick her up with a blanket and cover her head so we could cut her nails, she did amazingly. No hissing, growling or fighting. Right now I am in the process of moving her babies in my room and fixing up the spare room for her to have more room and freedom. Since she is coming out of the cage alot more and playing.

Also today she seen her second litter (the 5 month olds). I kept her in the cage bec I was unsure of her. But all she did was make a little noise and headbutt the cage. I was so happy 😊 I think she is coming along perfectly!
Yea, that's great! Continue to do the nail trimming so that she gets more use to it.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

Fantastic!Great job.... keep up the nail trims- WOW,GREAT❤

ashl3igh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been awhile since I updated everyone on Mama Reyna.

She was really improving for a few weeks there. Getting more curious and jumping on the cage to look around. Unfortunately she is still in the fall bathroom at this time and I think that's why she is starting to act the way she is. She does swat from time to time still uncertain if it's her trying to play or overstimulated, she doesnt show aggressive behavior. But lately she has been getting sassy enough to act like she is gonna bite and the one time she did bite me she left no marks and it was barely a bite in my opinion. She is starting to act a little depressed I think. But this weekend I am hoping to clip her nails for the 3rd time and get her into a bigger room to explore and run and climb on things.

My biggest worry is that when I do decide to let her free roam in the house, will she try to escape and what if I need to take her to the vet or clip her nails again how will I catch her without scaring. I know maybe I am worrying for nothing.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Been awhile since I updated everyone on Mama Reyna.

She was really improving for a few weeks there. Getting more curious and jumping on the cage to look around. Unfortunately she is still in the fall bathroom at this time and I think that's why she is starting to act the way she is. She does swat from time to time still uncertain if it's her trying to play or overstimulated, she doesnt show aggressive behavior. But lately she has been getting sassy enough to act like she is gonna bite and the one time she did bite me she left no marks and it was barely a bite in my opinion. She is starting to act a little depressed I think. But this weekend I am hoping to clip her nails for the 3rd time and get her into a bigger room to explore and run and climb on things.

My biggest worry is that when I do decide to let her free roam in the house, will she try to escape and what if I need to take her to the vet or clip her nails again how will I catch her without scaring. I know maybe I am worrying for nothing.
Great to hear that she's improving :clapcat:

It's quite normal for such behavior if she is over stimulated. Just keep certain interaction time with her so that her mind don't switch over to swatting and biting. If you sense that she's about to swat or bite, move away and give her a catnip toy to distract her.

If your house is cat safe, I won't worry about her escaping except when you open the door to go out, she may make a dash for it. So just be extra careful on this.

When you have to take her to the vet, Keep yourself calm as she can sense that she's going to the vet. Few days before hand, place the carrier in he room and sprinkle some catnip in it and let her get used to the carrier.
With the door closed when she's in he room, try to get her into the carrier instead of out of the room where she has more spots to hide.

It is normal to have a failed trip to the vet. Yea, don't worry too much.

ashl3igh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great to hear that she's improving :clapcat:

It's quite normal for such behavior if she is over stimulated. Just keep certain interaction time with her so that her mind don't switch over to swatting and biting. If you sense that she's about to swat or bite, move away and give her a catnip toy to distract her.

If your house is cat safe, I won't worry about her escaping except when you open the door to go out, she may make a dash for it. So just be extra careful on this.

When you have to take her to the vet, Keep yourself calm as she can sense that she's going to the vet. Few days before hand, place the carrier in he room and sprinkle some catnip in it and let her get used to the carrier.
With the door closed when she's in he room, try to get her into the carrier instead of out of the room where she has more spots to hide.

It is normal to have a failed trip to the vet. Yea, don't worry too much.

Thank you!

I wish she liked cat nip. I have tried her on it a few times. Which surprised me.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you!

I wish she liked cat nip. I have tried her on it a few times. Which surprised me.
There are few brands out there. Probably some cats will react to certain brands. There is also a catnip like product called Silvervine, you can get it for your cat to try and see if she reacts to it. It comes in either in stick form or finer form than catnip.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think my cats were into catnip until tabbytom tabbytom introduced me to a product named " Yeoow"- to my surprise the brands make a big difference(as he mentioned above)

Now as soon as they see the tub of Yeoow 2 catnip they ALL come running

ashl3igh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama Reyna is was officially put into the bigger room on Sunday. She was very overwhelmed Sunday and yesterday. Today she is better she is coming out of cage little by little but runs back when uncertain. I still lock her in the cage until she use to the sights and sounds of everything in the room. Then I will be sleeping with her at night with cage open and go from there. I am just taking things slow with her and not rushing anything because I want her to like it here

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Mama Reyna is was officially put into the bigger room on Sunday. She was very overwhelmed Sunday and yesterday. Today she is better she is coming out of cage little by little but runs back when uncertain. I still lock her in the cage until she use to the sights and sounds of everything in the room. Then I will be sleeping with her at night with cage open and go from there. I am just taking things slow with her and not rushing anything because I want her to like it here
Good start- her cage is her safe space so it will be an easier familiarization to the new room than the first- you probably don't have to lock her in unless you ard leaving the door to the room open- she can explore and establish expanding this new territory at will - its great you'll be in there with her,she'll adjust well to your schedule with you sleeping in there- sounds good,I'm always happy to hear " taking it slow"👍