3 Tom kittens and 1 10 mo. old tom.

Kirk#73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All these fur-kids are rescue ferals, The oldest tom we rescued from a queen when all the other litter mates were killed by a dog. The mom, whom we have been feeding for a yr. at least, through her first heat and she became preg. in her second heat. When she got ready for the babies I let her get in my truck through a sliding glass window and have the kittens.
That was a little background on the 4 cats we have now, plus a tom outside that is the daddy to my 3 tom kittens. I found a home for the mom and 3 sisters, after they were weaned. Is it possible for the 4 tom cats to get along outside of a occasional skirmish? The 3 kittens are in their special room with litter boxes and beds and gob of toys. We let them out twice a day when my wife and I are in the living room with them to make sure the older tom doesn't get to aggressive as he can be that way. It will be quiet for a few minutes and then a blood curdling scream. It's big tom on top of one of the little toms. A little squirt of water and they are on their way. It is getting better when the are out together. Now about us, I'm 72 my wife is 70. We are both retired and on SS. We don't have a lot of extra money by the end of the month. Cat food both dry and wet plus litter plus wear and tear on both of us we are getting worn slick. I'm a retired oilfield welder with arthritis in every place you can have it. My wife has 2 bad knees and wrangling 3 little ones are hard on both of us. They are so sweet and eat well and we are getting more attached every day as we are animal people, we also have a 13 yr. old basset hound that was a rescue too. Last fall we had 2 baby skunks living under the house next door. It's a rental with on and off again tenants. So we fed them until they were old enough and they left. Their mom never came back for unknown reasons. We live right in the middle of town so it's weird although, there are plenty of plenty of eating places in both directions of our house with plenty of trash bins to go through. We have fed birds and every stray running around our town of 13,000 + people show up on our front porch knowing that we are softies. I'm sorry to be such a blabber mouth but this about sums up things for now. Any help is welcomed.
Thanks Kirk#73 in the TX panhandle!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it's possible for the cats to all get along BUT you really need to get them all neutered.

I have a lot of cats, all rescues from the same colony. Most of them are either siblings or half siblings, but the father and mother of some of the younger ones lived with us until they eventually died of old age. They all get along fine, but I had them all spayed and neutered before six months old, with the kittens, or as soon as I could trap them, with the older cats.

If you don't get them fixed the older male cat will try to drive off his male kittens. Their instincts tell them that other young males are rivals and they will seriously hurt each other in an attempt to secure their territory. The male kittens will also fight with each other and intact toms tend to spray urine everywhere to let other cats know they're in control of that area. It absolutely stinks.

Do you have a vet you can book spay and neuter appointments with? Some clinics will do low cost or even free neuter surgeries if you are retired or on any kind of benefits. Here are a few places you could try.

Spaying And Neutering Levelland - Low Cost Pet Spay And Neuter Clinic

Lubbock, TX | P.E.T.S. Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinic

Spaying & Neutering Your Pet | City of Pflugerville, Texas

Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kirk#73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Norachan: Thank you for the information on my fur babies. Neuter is coming up for all 4 but the kittens are a little young now. But our oldest one, Peedle by name, is going as soon as I can get him in at the Lubbock facility. Cost is $35 per cat. He is our priority #1.
Thanks again for the reply.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great news! I'm glad to hear you've already made plans to get them all fixed. It can take up to 30 days for all of the testosterone, and the aggression that comes with it, to get out of a cat's system after neutering. However, I've found that neutered males become incredibly gentle once they've been fixed.

One of my male cats is my "secret weapon" when it comes to socializing any new kittens I take in. He's so sweet and tolerant of them. Even though he's a huge one-eyed bruiser.

:)

Thank you for taking such good care of all these strays

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful thing you are doing for these babies!

Have you contacted any rescues? Perhaps they could make you a foster for the kittens and help ith food, vet, and finding homes. My partner would find it too difficult to foster and send on to a forever home. There was a time when I thought that too. After reading so many happy foster and adoption stories here I would do it.

I did a search and found this: