2 yr old cat adoption

Ellatomic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i just adopted a 2 year old cat. She was living with a family who had another cat. They told me she was not very cuddly. I already had a 3 month old cat and a small dog, she doesn't like them and attacks the kitten ( she actually prefers the dog), and she bites me!! Idn what to do, will that ever change? I guess she needs time but i hope she wont bite me forever😭😭

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. Be patient. It’s a stressful time for her, she’s probably super uneasy and scared. With time and patience and kindness, you will earn her trust. Once cats become comfortable in their home, they will bond with their humans.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep the two cats apart for now. You need to slowly introduce them and that takes time so have patience.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats can take a while to adapt to new environments. I adopted Morty at two as well. The first month he was so timid, afraid to even jump on the couch. He spent most of his time avoiding us and refused to be picked up. Since then he's developed into a whole new cat! He still only tolerates being picked up, but he's so loving and intelligent and sleeps next to me every night. Each year he grows older I notice more positive changes in him. I can also say the same for Po, whom we adopted at three. He went from being so shy to laying on our chests any time he wants attention. Just give your new kitty some time. I'm sure if you put yourself in her shoes you can imagine how terrifying it must be in a whole new environment with strangers. It will get better, but be sure to follow what was said above and keep her separated from the other animals. In the same way that cats need time to adjust to humans they need even more to adjust to other animals in the household.

I used this guide when introducing Morty, Po and Goose!

Cat Introductions Part 1: Before the Introduction - Jackson Galaxy