2 Year Old Not Eating Much. Vet Has Done Every Test

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 3 weeks ago I noticed that my 2 year old cat was throwing up a few times a day, but because she's a "puker" I didn't think a lot of it.

I kept an eye on it though and eventually took her in when stopped eating as much.

Vet checked her out, same weight, did X-ray, etc

Gave me some different food and gave her a shot of nausea

Also gave her some special canned food that she was supposed to eat for a week.

This cat is fairly tall and weighs 9lbs, and used to eat A LOT. Any time I'd fill the bowl up, she'd RUN in and even when I was pouring the food in she'd have her head in the bowl.

She wanted nothing to do with the dry food, and ate the canned food for 3 days. I thought that maybe she discovered the canned food tasted better, but after 3 days she wouldn't eat the canned, or really the dry food.

By not eating, I mean I'll catch her in there nibbling a bit 2-3 times a day. But like I said, before she would sit there an eat for minutes 10-15 times a day and all it'd take to get her up was hearing the container open.

Now, she doesn't care.

So back to the Vet...

They knock her out, put a scope in her stomach, do blood work, do some kind of test where they inject her with a dye, etc.

Vet sees nothing wrong, suggests a new food.

She kinda eats new food for a day or 2, but again, now she's like "Meh"

Goes into the food room, walks up to bowl, looks at it, and leaves or just sit there.

She's lethargic, sleeps more, etc because I assume lack of food/lack of energy.

Called vet today, and she's like "We've ran every test that would correspond with this behavior", and isn't really sure.

Obviously she's eating and drinking enough to stay alive, but I'm very concerned. It'd be like if a human who ate 3 meals a day and 100 ounces of liquid cut back to 500 calories and a few glasses of water.

Is it just behavioral now? I thought maybe she wasn't eating because she was throwing up more and was avoiding food because she didn't wanna throw up...

I've tried 3 foods, one canned, and she just kinda looks at it like "Pass"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One other thought, her overall behavior has changed as well.

She's been a lot more needy and whiny, wants on my lap A LOT more, and isn't playing as much - which I related to lack of food/energy.

Sleeping a lot more as well.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, did the vet say if she had a fever?  I think it would be in your cat's best interest to get a 2nd opinion and see another vet.  Perhaps other members have additional advice or suggestions.  Please keep us updated on your kitty's health.  BTW, what's her name?

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nope, no fever.

Not disregarding the second opinion, but I really do like this vet. She's the sister of a girl I went to HS with, she's called 3 times to check up on her and has been very good in general.

She basically said that she's ran/done every test that would relate to lack of appetite and throwing up... and from here it could be a behavioral issue.

She's let me return all the food she didn't want, etc.

Her name is Tela

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Basically, they can't find anything physically wrong with her.

Xrays, blood work, barium dye test, general inspection, different foods.

Each time I've brought her in, she wasn't dehydrated and there was stool in her. So she is eating and drinking, it's just noticeably much much less food.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Another thought since you are fond of your vet - you might want to explain what Tela has been eating in the Nutrition section and see if anyone has any ideas regarding food.  

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has your schedule changed? Have you had new people in the house? Has there been a disruption to your regular routine? Have you changed litter brands?  All of those things can cause stress and stress can cause a decrease in appetite.  You could try getting a feliway diffuser and plugging it in to see if that helps calm her down.  You might even try giving her some of her old food and see if that works.  Since she's a puker, though, you could be overfeeding or she might be intolerant to one of the ingredients and moving her to a meat only food might help.  I'd even try plain meat baby food (no garlic or onion) and see if that appeals to her.

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nope, nothing changed at all

There's 2 other cats in the house, her sister and her brother, so I've kept the old food out for them... It's a buffet now.

She'll eat people food, very well. I've been giving her deli style plain turkey breast. She'll come up and paw at me for it, so again it's just strange that she doesn't want the older food.

Today I bought some more canned food that was in a gravy base, I put about 1/4 of the can on a plate and she ate 90% of it.

It's just so weird that after 2 years she randomly isn't into eating at the moment.

Going to try this new canned food I guess and call the vet tomorrow and check in.

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And just for the record, by people food I'm talking a few fingernail sized pieces.

Plain, nothing on it, just turkey or tiny pieces of other plain meat.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Assuming your current Vet has already ruled out any infection, kidney failure, pancreatitis, intestinal maladies, cancer and any dental or gum problems which might make eating uncomfortable for Tela, I don't know what sort of second opinion you'd seek.  I would ascertain that she'd dismissed every one of the above, however, and then make an effort to watch Tela closely as she chews, in a effort to detect the possibility of pain in chewing or swallowing.  If she's extending the neck and flexing - making a clear effort to swallow, ask the Vet to examine her specifically with the possibility of pharyngeal dysphagia or cricopharyngeal dysphagia in mind.

Of course, countless Dollars and Vet visits later, you'll probably find out that she was just being a picky eater - but it's best to be certain.

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Assuming your current Vet has already ruled out any infection, kidney failure, pancreatitis, intestinal maladies, cancer and any dental or gum problems which might make eating uncomfortable for Tela, I don't know what sort of second opinion you'd seek.  I would ascertain that she'd dismissed every one of the above, however, and then make an effort to watch Tela closely as she chews, in a effort to detect the possibility of pain in chewing or swallowing.  If she's extending the neck and flexing - making a clear effort to swallow, ask the Vet to examine her specifically with the possibility of pharyngeal dysphagia or cricopharyngeal dysphagia in mind.

Of course, countless Dollars and Vet visits later, you'll probably find out that she was just being a picky eater - but it's best to be certain.

That's kinda what the Vet finally said... Something like "I hate to see you spend more and more money on tests and have me come back to you with, nothing's wrong and she's just being picky/spoiled eater"

She checked her teeth and mouth really well, when she eats I don't see her doing anything abnormally.

We had a 19 year old cat a few years back with kidney failure and a ton of teeth/mouth issues and while eating it looks nothing like that.

IDK

If she's just being picky, and she's 100% fine I'd be cool with it all. It's the not knowing, wondering if she's got something wrong/is in pain.

Hopefully it's just some weird phase

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's kinda what the Vet finally said... Something like "I hate to see you spend more and more money on tests and have me come back to you with, nothing's wrong and she's just being picky/spoiled eater"

She checked her teeth and mouth really well, when she eats I don't see her doing anything abnormally.

We had a 19 year old cat a few years back with kidney failure and a ton of teeth/mouth issues and while eating it looks nothing like that.

IDK

If she's just being picky, and she's 100% fine I'd be cool with it all. It's the not knowing, wondering if she's got something wrong/is in pain.

Hopefully it's just some weird phase
Most of us here have been through something similar.  If we could just talk with them for a few minutes, the world would be all right again.  Hopefully, it's just a phase.  I went through a food phase with one cat years ago where suddenly - after years of it being her favourite food, - she decided, "I don't LIKE that !"  Weeks later, after trying  every possible food, including some which I swear came from other planets, her favourite went back on the rotating menus for all the cats, and of course THAT was what she'd wanted.

Next Lifetime, it'll be aardvarks or geckos or elephant shrews... anything but more cats.

;)

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Since buying the Fancy Feast gravy turkey something or another, she's ate 2.5 full cans in about 24 hours...

So, she's willing to eat.

But she's just being SUPER lazy and un-like herself. Usually she wants to play fetch all day, she'll bring her ball and put it on my lap, and if I don't play she'll starting meowing and screaming until I do, she'll walk around the house all day, etc.

Now, she just goes from one spot to another to snooze. So weird.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
She's two, well out of kittenhood.  It could be that she just suddenly felt older and wants to chill more.  And being less active would lead to eating less.  So maybe it's not the eating less is causing the lower activity, it could be the opposite.

My youngest cat, it was very sudden when he decided he was a senior kitty.  Over a period of just 2-3 months he suddenly went from climbing the door jambs every day to snoozing on the bed all day.

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She's two, well out of kittenhood.  It could be that she just suddenly felt older and wants to chill more.  And being less active would lead to eating less.  So maybe it's not the eating less is causing the lower activity, it could be the opposite.

My youngest cat, it was very sudden when he decided he was a senior kitty.  Over a period of just 2-3 months he suddenly went from climbing the door jambs every day to snoozing on the bed all day.
Hmmmm

I mean, maybe.

But I'll physically wake her up to eat that canned food, lift her up, put her in a room without the other and she'll eat it all.

Then walk out and go right back to sleep. The vet is calling me tomorrow.

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So after eating about 3 cans of food in the last 36 hours or so, today she's out and about acting normal... Even saw her eating the dry food a few time.

Chasing birds around at the window, scraping with the other 2 cats, playing with her toys, etc.

These cats...