2 weeks in with feral..few questions

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted about lens random hissing when he came out of hiding, pleased to say the hissing has stopped. Now 2 weeks in he loves sitting on sofa watching tv with me, follows me everywhere, sleeps on my pillow..which kinda makes me nervous as he’s still a bit unpredictable with his teeth and claws, although it’s lessening just one painful incident in a week, but I’ve a few questions...
How and at what point do you introduce brushing?
At some point in the future he’s gonna need to be handled, like picking him up, checking his ears ..I dont want to ruin all the progress he’s made and freak him out.
29FE54C4-63C9-4EDD-B2B6-9E4A4CD00EF0.jpeg

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful progress! I would suggest you start with a soft bristle toothbrush when he is half asleep or completely asleep. That way he will not see the brush at first but will get used to the feeling. That is what we did with our feral. After he gets used to the toothbrush, you can try using your finger and a regular cat brush or flea comb. When he gets used to that, start touching his paws, working your way to pressing to extend his claws. This is probably a while away from happening; however, it will get him used to you touching his paws so that you can trim his nails eventually.

Keep up the good work and good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply..i will try that. He's fine with me touching his paws, he often rests them on my hand when he's snuggling, i wont rush in to cut his claws just yet though :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, he sure came along quickly. I think he has turned in his feral card. If you want to work up to nail trimming try stroking his paws while he sleeps and gently pressing down to extend each his claws. You want him to get used to this before trying to trim nails.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All credit goes to Hayley at the rescue , he was about to go to a feral centre and lockdown happened. He bonded with her but no one else could get near him. He’s actually on a 3 week trial atm as she thought he wouldn’t like being a indoor kitty. So far so good, showing no signs of wanting to go out.
I will slowly work up to trimming his claws...my sofa will appreciate it 😂