2 Very Pregnant Foster Mamas, Couple of Questions

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If rotisserie chicken contains onions / garlic, beware. These are poisonous for cats.

Probably not high poisonous, I know there were brands of cat food with garlic taste, but weak taste, and real garlic are different things.
Whom wants to take risks??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll probably stick to rinsed canned chicken for now. Haven't had as much luck weighing kittens today as would have liked, though I did count all 9 on camera bopping their heads around. Just now I measured a black/brown female at 206g. She was chugging along with her eyes wide open. Really not sure which one that is, might be one I haven't weighed before. I wonder if it's more likely to be Ella's based on the weight and eye development.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made many mini attempts at weighing today. There are some I may have mixed up with the original names. But overall their weights seem good. Comparison from day 0/1 to day 8/9.

White Tip(F): 103g -> 217g
Dark Gray(F): 110 -> could not get today
Light Gray(F): 81g -> 169g(Ella's runt)
Narrow Stripped Chonker(F): 116g -> 239g
Brown Gray Stripes(F): 95g -> 184g
Brown Gold Stripes(M): 104g -> 252g
Very Dark(F): 100g -> ???
Tiny Tip(F): n/a -> 172g

Honestly I'm confused and second guessing myself on if there are 8 instead of 9. I have 2 very different weights down for what I thought was Tiny Tip, 172g and 189g. She's called Tiny Tip because she's small and has the tiniest white tip at the end if her tail. White Tip has a bigger white section and is darker. But is there 2 Tiny Tips? Did I mismeasure? Is the white tip on one so small I don't always see it? Oh well. Hopefully I'll figure it out in a few days. Do all these weights seem good for now?
20240403_181703.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Weights seem good overall. I know it’s difficult with 9 kittens. Here are the goals:

Goals are 8 ounces (226 grams) at 2 weeks; 12 ounces (340 grams) at 3 weeks; and one pound (453grams) at 4 weeks — then about a pound a month thereafter until grown.

Any kitten not meeting goals should receive supplemental feedings, but that’s not baked in stone. If they are close, they are probably fine. Females tend to weigh less than males. What you want to watch for is a kitten or two who may be way behind. Keep us posted!

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today is day 12/13 for the group. Just weighed them this morning. The previous time, I did weigh them mostly in the afternoon/evening. So it's closer to 3.5 days than 4. Still struggling to tell a few of them apart. I suspect there are 3 kittens with a white tip on their tail. One of them, it's so subtle I think I'm mistaking it for a non-tipped sometimes. Also, definitely counting 9, no doubts now.

Dark Gray(F) n/a -> 266g
Light Gray(F) 169g - > 202g
Narrow Stripped Chonker(F) 239g -> 287g
Brown Gray Stripes(F) 184g -> 215g *May also be one getting mixed up with Tiny Tip/Tinier Tip
Brown Gold Stripes(M) 252g -> Gold Boy(M) 302g
Very Dark(F) n/a -> 226g

Not sure on who is who, but:
White Tip(F) 217g -> 245g
Tiny Tip(F) 230g
Tiny Tip(F) 172g -> Tinier Tip?(F) 207g

Do the weight gains seem acceptable for now? There are some that look a little low to me, but nothing alarming. No one is acting like they're not getting food either. Though it's looks like a school of piranhas when they're hungry. Haven't really seen them face slapping each other lately despite that.

Also, if anyone else noticed, it looks like there are 8 girls and 1 boy. I'm no expert at sexing kittens, but I believe I'm mostly correct. There has always been a tendency for more girls than boys in this colony, but geez. I think the big group I fostered last year had 8 girls, 4 boys.

Pardon the not so great cat tax included. I included a pic from a couple days ago and yesterday, because they wouldn't stay put for me this morning. Just a bunch of adorable blurs. T_T The mamas have been way more chill the past few days. Ella is letting me pet her sometimes and Elizabeth doesn't seem to mind when I briefly touch her when handling the kittens.
kittens_4-05-24.jpg

kittens_4-06-24.jpg

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 14/15, it has been roughly 2 days from last weigh in. Everyone is looking pretty healthy. I believe all their eyes are open now. They're becoming very active too, making it hard to get a clear photo.

Dark Gray: 266g -> 288g
Light Gray: 202g -> 228g
Narrow Stripped Chonker: 287g -> 318g
Gold Boy: 302g -> 328g
Very Dark: 226g -> 245g
White Tip: 245g -> 267g

Confused Identity Kittens
Tiny Tip: 230g -> 247g
Brown Gray Stripes: 215g -> 245g
Brown Grayish Gold Stripes?: 207g -> 250g?

Not sure if I missed the other runt of the bunch and kept reweighing the same ones or the there was some major gains.

kittens_4-09-24a.jpg

kittens_4-09-24b.jpg

This is Dark Gray on top of White Tip. Dark Gray and Light Gray are almost the same shade now. Main difference is size.
kittens_4-09-24c.jpg

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the weights have been good for all, but one kitten. She is gaining, but I believe she was the one who weighed 245g 3 days ago. Now she is 260g. She seemed to be fiercely fighting for a nipple when I saw her this morning. I did redirect her to Ella who had more openings. I will check her again in an hour to see if I just caught her on an empty belly. I should be able to identify her a bit easier now as she is starting to look like a long hair.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm pretty sure I weighed the little girl at 271g this morning. So while not amazing, she gained 11g in 24 hours. Hopefully that means she doesn't have an infection or something at least. I am a bit worried as it seems half the litter is going to struggle to meet the 340g mark for 3 weeks. Should I be worried that one of the mothers isn't producing enough? Also, I did deworm them with 0.1ml Strongid last night on the recommendation of the shelter I work with. Do I need to start supplementing? They don't really act hungry other than that one bout with the little girl yesterday fighting for a teat.

Sorry for the inconsistency in weighing times. Sometimes the moms literally block the entrance. I don't even think it's intentional, but it's hard to get them all when they do that.

18/19 days(weights from 4/12/24 at night, 3.5 dayish from last group weigh in)
Dark Gray: 288g -> 317g = 29g *Her weight is from earlier in the day compared to the rest
Light Gray: 228g -> 264g = 36g *Also got another weight of 272g last night, she's a wiggler
Striped Chonker: 318g -> 363g = 45g
Gold Boy: 328g -> 382g = 54g
Very Dark: 245g -> 286g = 41g
White Tip: 267g -> 315g = 48g
Tiny Tip: 247g -> 285g = 38g
Brown Gray Stripes: 245g -> Lil Poof: 265g = 20g *271g this morning
Brown Grayish Gold Stripes?: 250g? -> Miss Standard: 276g = 26g

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like they are doing well for there being 9 kittens. More important than meeting goals is consistent daily gains, which it appears all are doing and quite well at that. Keep up the nice job monitoring!

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did just order some nutrical gel as the shelter recommended for the smaller ones. Are they old enough yet to have a proper gag reflex? That stuff can be pretty goopy, so wondering if I need to dilute it a bit at that age.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Lil Poof has been hoovering around 271g the whole day. I was heading for bed when I noticed she seemed really hungry. I kept trying to latch her on her mom with little luck. It's like she can't seem to find the nipple. So I got some KMR mixed up and syringe fed her around 2ml. She kept gnawing it sides ways while lapping it up funny enough. Apparently that small amount made her hangry and she finally latched onto her mom and fed from her for a good 15 minutes. I had to keep her siblings at bay as they all seem to beeline for the same teat. Had a nice round belly at the end at least. But this does make me worry, does she have an upper respiratory infection or something? No runny eyes or clogged nose, but I have heard her sneeze a few times over the past 2 days. Is there another possible reason why she would struggle so much to find a teat?

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe Lil Poof just needed an energy boost last night. She weighed 283g just now! One thing I did notice is she seems developmentally behind. Some of her siblings are learning to walk. Poor Lil Poof drags herself across the box. She seems to use her legs some, but they don't seem as strong as her siblings.

Cat tax of Lil Poof.
20240414_091841.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do her legs and paws appear normal or do they splay out or turn inwards?

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do her legs and paws appear normal or do they splay out or turn inwards?
Her paws look normal, but they seem like the opposite of splaying. Instead of her legs going outward, they go straight back like she's ready to dive in a pond. Honestly reminds me more of the way a paraplegic cat moves, but I have seen her use them, they just seem weak. Probably does not help that every piece of fleece I put in the nest is pushed out by the cats. It might make it really hard for her to maneuver on the cardboard.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She likely has swimmer’s syndrome and needs her legs taped for support while she is developing so that she gains strength in her tendons and can begin to develop more normally and use her legs properly. This needs to begin immediately. Here is a helpful link with videos from Kitten Lady:

Swimmer Syndrome in Young Kittens — Kitten Lady

U Umerwhat

Last edited:

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was paying more attention tonight and she was splaying this time instead of the legs going straight back. I did put her legs under her a few times and she did take a few of her first proper steps. She did splay significantly less after that making me wonder if I'm overthinking it. Either way I'm going to contact the shelter tomorrow and ask if they have experience treating it. I'll try to get some medical tape tomorrow too.

Also kind of weird, but she kept hobbling over to me tonight. She was suckling my hand so I tried to get her to suckle on her mom's teat only to keep failing. Like a drunken toddler rolling around. Well she did the same thing as last night. She got a little KMR from me and then had no trouble finding her mom's teat. I wish I understood why the little bit of KMR gets her magic teat homing abilities. This does not feel like a reliable feeding method.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I kind of feel like a bad foster parent here. I did get both mom's out of the nest while they had breakfast this morning, so I put a piece of fleece in the box. They've all started trying to walk. Even Lil Poof seems mostly normal now, with only the occasional splay. She was definitely on her wobbly feet a few times. Is it possible she was exhibiting Swimmer Syndrome symptoms because she got fed up with sliding on cardboard and started dragging herself around? Still keeping a close eye on her. If she still splays tomorrow, I'll call up the shelter.

I did weigh the 4 smallest this morning. Day 20/21(2.5 days from last):
Light Gray: 264g -> 292g = 28g
Tiny Tip: 285g -> 300g = 15g
Lil Poof: 265g -> 298g = 33g
Miss Standard: 276g -> 292g = 16g

Apparently I was worrying too much about Lil Poof and not enough about Tiny Tip and Miss Standard. They both seem active and round, but I will keep a closer eye on them.
kittens_4-15-24_trio.jpg

Very Dark(left), Dark Gray(middle), Lil Poof(right), Miss Standard(back).
kittens_4-15-24_gold_boy.jpg

Gold Boy's belly.