2 semi feral sisters in spare room

DomiEstelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 semi-feral juveniles I've been feeding for 3 months outside, that I just trapped a few days ago snd have in my spare room. This js going to be a LONG road to socialization. I've finally got them more comfortable than they
We're. I cut holes jnto a box and placed jt on top of the loft bed in the room, and they're currently both sleeping in it and when I come in the room they are much more calm than before. They look relaxed together jn the box and aren't even freaking out when I'm close to the box doing stuff. One WON'T eat however. The other one will eat when I would push the wet food basically under her nose, and then walk out. She uses the litter box. Her sister though, just pees where ever she js. She won't use the box. So Im.goinf to get some.organjc potting soil and use that instead of litter

Do I need to syringe feed her some water and food?, they're so stressed snd scared snd she goves me the most pathetic hiss when she feels.cornered

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried every stinky cat food you can find? Even human grade tuna. I used to pour some of the tuna liquid or oil into a dish and add a few flecks of the tuna. Most cats would lap it up and then want more. Syringe feeding will be necessary if she has gone over 48 hours without any food.

You can try sopping up the pee with a paper towel and burying it in the litter box. Cats are attracted to their scent. Also it may be necessary to have more litter boxes. They may not be used to peeing near each other. The golden rule for inside cats is one litter box per cat plus one extra. That would mean you need 3. I would at least provide 2.

Also have these girls been spayed? If not that should be a priority. You don't want them going into heat and then trying to get out.

Thank you for taking care of these two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DomiEstelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I put a cardboard box with 2 holes in it on the bed and put a camera up, and put the food and water up there ans they're both eating and drinking :) they love food...I know they're hungry. They would be so excited to eat outside that the one I THOUGHT was more out going (twiskerz)would run to me snd wait, and would not run when I walked up snd put food down. She would be 3 inches from my hand. Now inside she's the most scared of the 2. She will just freeze and not move if I get close and she feels cornered. Her sister hisses and runs.

I am pretty sure they might both be pregnant already. I don't know how they would not be considering they're not fixed and they lived with the Tomcat. They're both also using the litter box now but they don't like the clumping litter so I'm just going to go buy potting soil for them for now.

I have three boxes and two different kinds of litter they liked non-clumping better but I think they'd like they're even more and it would just make them feel better at this point.

So I have three of my own cats and one of them is a male tuxedo and he's fixed and he is like the sweetest cat ever he doesn't fight with other cats just wants to be their friend it's so weird. He wanted in there so bad figured out how to open the door so I had to put a new door handle on it. But he went to the bathroom and one of the litter boxes they weren't using the one with the clumping litter and right after you did that the other one started using the litter box. I know they were abandoned and I know that they were abused after being abandoned, by the people in the neighborhood basically that didn't want the cats hang around their house. It's so sad how scared they are. Their mom I actually caught a day before I caught them. She was pregnant and after having her for 7 hours somebody was with me and we got her to move enough to where she stood up on her hind legs trying to get out of the cage, and I saw her tummy and said oh my God she's not pregnant anymore.

I got somebody to go underneath the mobile home they were all living under and there were no kittens so I immediately Let Her Go and told her where she went and she went two houses down underneath another house so I think after her kittens are what really sucks is she was pregnant the day before this

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you for helping these two. You have only had them a few days inside and already there is progress so that is great! My record is keeping 3 kittens (very young) in a bathroom for 5 months when there were no other alternatives. Certainly that is not ideal, but everyone went on to live a good life with the remaining 17 year old still in the house.

Sometimes a cat who won't use a box will use doggy pee pads as a short term solution although I think that you have that under control already thanks to your very sweet indoor boy.

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles

Once these cats realize that they are safe, they may come around much more quickly than you think. Remember that in their minds their previous life was full of danger and they don't know yet that it is still not....sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop.