my cate gave birth on jan 6 of 2006
as of today she is in heat already.
how is that possible?
WHY?

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Because that is what cats do, and will continue to do until spayed. That is why there is such a cat overpopulation because the are such proliferate breeders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vmf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
but she is still feeding the kittens. i thought that they go in heat every 6 month.
not every 2 month.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nope and the can also get pregnant any time of the year, not just when in heat.

are you going to spay your cat when the kittens are a little older?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vmf

but she is still feeding the kittens. i thought that they go in heat every 6 month.
not every 2 month.
From what I have read...cats can get pregnant again about a week after giving birth. Best thing to do is to set up her spay appointment for when the kittens are weaned.

Katie

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was told that while they are still nursing just smelling a tom cat outside can cause them to go into heat again.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From having many cats, some females go into heat right after giving birth

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will come into heat while nursing. Before Grizzly was fixed a few yrs ago I waited until the kittens where weaned before spaying (she is mainly inside but does go outside). During the spay the vet discovered she was about 4 weeks along with another litter. I was not aware of this at the time and the vet agreed she did not display signs of pregnancy.
Until spayed they will go into heat quite often Grizzly was 6-8 weeks with the heat lasting a good 10 days!!
Please get her spayed and keep her away from unneutered males until then.

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yup, our stray mom cat went into heat when her babies were about 6 weeks old. She stayed in heat for about a week and a half, and was spayed when the babies were 8 weeks, and the animal rescue told us she was back in heat again! She must have just been coming back into heat as she hadn't been displaying any of the signs.
I would def. make her spay appointment now, and with luck she should be coming out of heat by the time you have to take her in!
As for coming into heat twice a year, maybe you're thinking of dogs? I remember reading that they come into heat only twice a year, but I could be wrong.

~Julia