2 Kittens Taken From A Litter

Angelstar2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 8 cats of both sexes. 3 queens were pregnant, one had her kittens in a safe place outside, I have since bought mum and babies in my house. Another queen had her kittens in a outside building which has a very big space high up in the building. I heard cats fighting and went out, my dogs went straight into the building were my queen and kittens were, they then ran off barking. I climbed up to were the kittens were, she had hidden them under the thick cloth, but mum and babies were fine, though mum was growling and looking up. I couldn't see anything. This morning I was woken up by her mewing, she had brought 2 kittens with her and was very distressed. I brought them inside and she was looking everywhere for her 2 other kittens. I went out to look for them, but I have a lot of land and it's a bit overgrown, anyway no joy. I then put mum out to find her babies. I have since taken the thick cloth down and folded it up, they was no blood or anything. Does anyone have any idea what animal might have done this. The kittens were only a few days old

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are just too many to know for sure, from a big snake to my guess, an owl, since there was no signs of a struggle and no blood. She still could have moved the other two somewhere, so make sure you walk about and listen for any mews. When these poor mamas have their litters outside there are so many dangers......

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really depends on where you live, but raccoons are the biggest predator to outside kittens where I live. There are also coyotes, weasels, snakes, hawks, foxes, and owls. Even squirrels are know to raid rabbit and bird nests, so if desperate enough, they could kill and eat a kitten.

klmd302

Kelly
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a similar thing happen about a year ago with the neighborhood cats. In this case, it was a big tom cat who tried to take the kitten. Mom got it back initially, but he came back the next night and got him again and this time killed the kitten :( It was so heartbreaking. I think the baby was about a week old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Angelstar2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are just too many to know for sure, from a big snake to my guess, an owl, since there was no signs of a struggle and no blood. She still could have moved the other two somewhere, so make sure you walk about and listen for any mews. When these poor mamas have their litters outside there are so many dangers......
Thank you so much for your reply. I don't think it was a snake because I put my 2 dogs out straight away. To get to where she was I have to walk up this plank to get to her, it is high up. My 2 dogs ran straight into her and chased something away, then one went back and was walking up the plank but I called her back. I live in Spain in the countryside. Thanks guys