2 2yr Old Brothers.. I Am At My Wits End

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:@Mom of 2 monsters :hithere:

I'm ever so sorry to read of your frustrations, and especially that your neighbours are so unfriendly. There's not a lot you can do about unfriendly neighbours except be ultra nice and friendly to them as it confuses them and makes them stop and think about their behaviour towards you and your family. :bouquet:

But, there is something you can do about your noisy, nighttime, furfrustrations. :crossfingers: To save me time in retelling, I recommend you read these two articles written by TheCatSite experts about pesky night-loving pussycats:

How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night?

:sleep:

Cats And Night Crazies!

:sleep2:

I'd add to this advice, keep them awake in the evenings by whatever means available, preferably by exhaustive playing, but prodding and fussing will also work. Whenever you catch them trying to sneak in 40 winks ruffle them awake.
:anticipation:

It's kind of in your favour that you keep them separate from you at night from the point of view (or more like, point of smell) of my next suggestion of the sedative herb valerian. You can buy veterinary preparations in the US that contain valerian such as Pet Remedy, which comes as both a plug-in diffuser and spray:

Pet Remedy USA | Natural de-stress & calming solution for pets

Now then, valerian is a psychoactive sedative substance, and as such, it doesn't matter what is causing behavioural problems as it will calm down any animal, or human, regardless. I give my cat, Dudley, who's coincidentally 2 years old next week, valerian treats (unfortunately, I can't find these available on the US market) and I squirt Pet Remedy when things are getting really on top of him and he's het up into a tizz. I would also use the diffuser but I share my home with someone else at the moment and don't wish to inflict the stinky-cheesy-feet valerian smell on them. :paperbag:

I recommend your plugging in a diffuser when you retire for the night, and/or squirting spray on your cats' beds. :yawn:

If you've read the articles above, you will be aware of the need to completely ignore your cats' nighttime behaviour. Do this utterly consistently until it works. And, it will work, eventually. Remember to prod your cats awake in the evenings, play hyperactive games before bed with the reward of a treat afterwards (most important), feed a meal before bed, stink them up with valerian, turn out the lights (pitch darkness is also recommended as any light at all will tempt your cats into action), and totally ignore them until they stop and then ignore them some more. :hide:

Well, I've written enough right now to begin to address the nighttime noise, so will leave you to digest. I expect you know a lot of this already, being a vet tech, but I also suspect you are not following it to the letter.

:vibes::hangin::grouphug:

Last edited:

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats used to have the night crazies (and my bedroom is a murphy bed in the living room so no space to put them into a seperate area). The only thing that worked for me was to plan their second and large meal for right at bedtime. Then they would eat, groom and sleep for the first few hours at least.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need a temp and inexpensive solution for the insulation issue just tack up bird netting over it. Cats can’t tear through it , you can put it up fast with an electric stapler and it comes down just as fast.