2 2yr Old Brothers.. I Am At My Wits End

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I just took a peek, there's all sorts and styles of big walk in cages listed out on the internet, maybe something would work for you that you could put up in your basement. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mom of 2 monsters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep
eesh, neighbors can be such a hassle.
You probably did this already as well, but did you try a vet prescribed kitty Prozac? Also, there's a relatively new product called Composure that takes a different approach to the situation with it's ingredients - maybe something to look at for you.
What about a big walk-in style cage with cat trees in it for them in the basement or have someone build a unit like this - I'm not sure which would be less expensive. Or some type of inexpensive stiff mesh or whatever type material you could put up/over the walls where the insulation is?
Yep, done the meds. Didn't make a difference. I know some stuff has to build up in their system, we had a 30 day supply.
eesh, neighbors can be such a hassle.
You probably did this already as well, but did you try a vet prescribed kitty Prozac? Also, there's a relatively new product called Composure that takes a different approach to the situation with it's ingredients - maybe something to look at for you.
What about a big walk-in style cage with cat trees in it for them in the basement or have someone build a unit like this - I'm not sure which would be less expensive. Or some type of inexpensive stiff mesh or whatever type material you could put up/over the walls where the insulation is?
Liquid Composure didn't work. They knew something was up with their water or food. Treats they turned their nose up at. I even rolled treats in tuna fish. They are too smart.
Our basement isn't that big. The laundry is down there and even that area has exposed walls. What space is left is used for storage. Belueve me, if I could put something down there I would. That would make the nights so much easier. Mesh means permission to climb to Axley. He really is the biggest problem with everything. Dentley is just the singer and plastic bag chewer.
I just found today that Axley has taken to chewing on our faux wood blinds. Stuff like Bitter Yuck, Boundary, and Pet Block do nothing to him. Both continued to chew on our Xmas tree while I am trying to breathe as I found I am allergic to the ingredients. Yay! I have had 6 other cats in all my 40 years and never have I had a difficult one until these 2 (#7 & 8). I saw some crazy ones doing my vet tech internship, still nothing like this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
oh my word. Major bummer! --I was afraid you'd say that about the basement, cuz it sounds like you've tried to think about so much here with these guys. I guess I was thinking it's like our basement where the insulation is only at the upper 1/8th or so of the wall, but I get the impression yours is all the way down to the floor - would your local hardware/home supply store have anything that might be light weight enough where double sticky tape would hold it, with no holes? Some linoleum that's usually used for floors? ummm, that might be too heavy for sticky tape, but still...
The only other thing I can think of that might work in a few of your situations, would be an automated motion activated cat deterrent? It appears there are a few styles and types.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
oh, oh, -- you're a vet tech - no wonder you knew about pica, composure, Prozac et al...! Thank you for your patience with us as we were working our way through things LOL :heartshape:

Mom of 2 monsters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I
oh, oh, -- you're a vet tech - no wonder you knew about pica, composure, Prozac et al...! Thank you for your patience with us as we were working our way through things LOL :heartshape:
I appreciate it. It helps to have a fresh set of eyes on a situation to see if maybe I missed anything.
The insulation is floor to ceiling. If it isn't nailed down, Axley will find a way.
Both display signs of pica. Dentley loves plastic bags - grocery, trash, sandwich.. Doesn't matter, he will chew.
Axley does that but not nearly as bad as he does with straws, my dish scrub brush, my shower loofah, and now my thick faux wood blinds.
Both chewed up the bottom of our fake tree. Dentley was more on the wires and Axley was on the actual branches and the light bulbs. Bulbs are plastic with LEDs. Thankfully the wiring is set up to prevent electrocution and fires.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
There's gotta be SOMEthing to help these guys - holy cow, your entire house is going to disappear. Would your daughter be willing to spend extended play time with Dentley?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Which, actually, leads me to a thought, are they feeding off each others 'vibes'? What happens, (other than major yelling?) if you separate them?

Mom of 2 monsters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's gotta be SOMEthing to help these guys - holy cow, your entire house is going to disappear. Would your daughter be willing to spend extended play time with Dentley?
My daughter gives him attention as soon as she gets home. Dentley won't stop following and meowing at her if she doesn't. He will find a way to sit on or next to her at all costs. If she isn't available, he will come to me.
Both of my kids tire the cats and themselves out with playing. Axley likes to play Fetch, my son will play that with him for hours until he (my son) gives out.
The only time we separate them is when we bring groceries in. Axley will bolt for any open door and has made it into the garage and just out the door a few times. He responds to me much like a dog would and will stop or run back when I tell him to come to me. Dentley has no desire to go outside. Dentley is the more submissive of the two. However, unless one is howling at a door, they nap and eat together all the time. If I had to rehome one, I am afraid that the howling would get worse because they are so close. I wish I could let them into all are as of the house, but I can't. It has been that way since they came into our home so it isn't like they were allowed but things changed.

Mom of 2 monsters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Which, actually, leads me to a thought, are they feeding off each others 'vibes'? What happens, (other than major yelling?) if you separate them?
When Axley is in the bathroom for however long it takes us to get the groceries in, he will destroy everything.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the neighborhood isn't safe for indoor/outdoor huh? That is the only solution I can think of. It does wonders for too much energy & boredom-related behavioral problems ... in areas where it is safe. Can always get them a heated outdoor house if that is the only issue.

Mom of 2 monsters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the neighborhood isn't safe for indoor/outdoor huh? That is the only solution I can think of. It does wonders for too much energy & boredom-related behavioral problems ... in areas where it is safe. Can always get them a heated outdoor house if that is the only issue.
Large birds of prey, foxes, dogs, feral cats, jerk of a neighbor that will likely try to poison them in retaliation for the dog warden taking away his shar pei / pit mix that came after me. Also, I mentioned this before, there are restrictions to what can be built on the property. We cannot build a fence, has to be a natural barrier (shrubs). We cannot build even a storage shed without a unanimous ok from everyone on our cul-de-sac. The jerk next door would not give an ok for sure, plus he made the statement that he was going to make things so difficult that we would want to move. Even if we could afford such a thing, we wouldnt be able to purchase a heated outdoor house.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
honestly, people can be such butts, I swear. Until just a couple weeks ago, I had no idea that shar pei's are rather large- I can't even imagine mixing that with a pit. Geez.

Mom of 2 monsters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Y
honestly, people can be such butts, I swear. Until just a couple weeks ago, I had no idea that shar pei's are rather large- I can't even imagine mixing that with a pit. Geez.
Yep. Came at me while I was getting groceries out of the car. Kids were standing in the open garage too. Yelled for them to get in the house and as it lunged toward me, I punched him in the nose, kicked and ran. Tore up all the groceries and scrapped in the back of my car because I didn't have time to shut the hatch.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
good grief, you've had just about everything happen to you!
I'm wondering maybe I can reach out to someone like @Brian007 who might have something or know someone who could weigh in.
Just to reiterate and sum this up, you're a vet tech which means you've had access to and tried darn near everything with two 2-year old cats who have major pica, major singing at night after everyone goes to bed, can't be worn out even with hours of interactive play, and can't be outdoors or in separate rooms, either from themselves or the family.
Don't give up quite yet!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder. . .sometimes people who have hyper dogs end up exercising them TOO much, unwittingly making them more hyper when they really needed to be taught to settle instead of trying to provide constant stimulation. Maybe using dog-training-type techniques will help in this situation.

Here's a way to teach settle. For cats I would probably use a cage instead of a bed/mat: Dog training: Settle down - Dogtime

This book may be helpful too. They're smart so maybe mental games will occupy their brains:

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you take them on walks-some cats love that

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you take them on walks-some cats love that

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These 2 remind me of my son's cat who found him by peeking into his window for days. At the time my son had 2 peaceful cats. Eventually he adopted the cat who was sweet and got his shots etc. He named him Joe (Joe Biden - meant affectionately) since the cat never shut up. 2 kids later Joe is the noisiest cat I have ever known and we figure his original owner let him loose due to the howling that starts late at night or early in the morning. Joe doesn't interact with my sons other cat but is kind to the children, loves attention and food and is a howler. They have become "noise deaf" and live with it. He has only slightly mellowed with time. I'm sorry to be the only nonhelpful advice person in this thread, only to say I understand and time might make it easier. Those 2 appreciate you more than you realize; some folks wouldn't be as kind.

Last edited: