18-years-old Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

baz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dan (the Man) is 18. He has heart disease and kidney disease. His vet wants to put him to sleep but we have refused because, although he is fading away before our eyes, he is not in any pain or distress and spends most of his days sleeping in the warm in a corner of the sofa. When he wakes he still even goes out for a stroll around the yard. But he's getting thinner and frailer the whole time and we have only days left with him now, we know it. If it comes to it, we will not let him suffer.

He adopted us 13 years ago. He "lived" in a nearby street and, every time we walked past, he trotted up to us, begging. We laughed as we loved him because we thought he had a home. Then, eventually, he found his way to our house through the back yards, and came in stealing food (we had two other fur babies at the time). We went to "his" house and asked about him. No, they said, he's not our cat: we're a bunch of students renting the place, he was here when we moved in. We feed him because we feel sorry for him but...we're moving out in a week!

So our two cats became three. The vet checked him for a microchip. Yes he had one, but no, the person who registered the chip never responded to any attempt to contact her; eventually, after a year or so, the chip was re-registered to me. We live very near a big, public open space, and to this day I believe Dan was deliberately abandoned there.

He is (or was) a very big boy. But he's also a complete softy. He fit right in with Sooty and Charlie (both long gone, sadly) and we have pictures of all three of them sleeping on our bed in a big furry bundle. He is the best-natured cat I have ever known. He's long-haired which, for an outdoor cat, means endless clumps and knots - but, although he doesn't like it, he always tolerated being brushed and trimmed (can't do it now: he is just a bag of bones and brushing him pains him). He never, ever scratches anyone, and his bite is never more than a gentle warning nip.

We are going to miss him.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. He has lived a long life for a cat but for us humans it always feels way to short. I would do what you are doing, let him enjoy his remaining life and doing the things that give him pleasure. When it’s time to let him go you will know. When my 19 year old was dying of cancer we had three treasured months after the vet suggested euthanasia and when the time came that I knew, I was at peace with the decision.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How great that you found each other and have shared such a loving bond. I can imagine him from your description. All heart and floof. I know how bittersweet the thoughts can be right now. I also face the inevitable with one here. Each moment is being fastened in my mind more than ever. Cherished and to be revisited later when I need a warm, fuzzy snuggle. Thank goodness you are there for him as he spends his golden years in the sunshine of your heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your kind replies. Here he is in happier days. He's much weaker today, curled up on the sofa dozing but no longer eating or drinking. I think he'll be going to the vet in the morning.
DSC01390.JPG

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful boy. Make sure to cherish the love he leaves you, he will always be a part of your soul. "Death cannot take that which never dies" call him in your thoughts and prayers and he will be there. He will take a piece of your heart for comfort when he leaves, but will leave a piece of his own to fill the hole. Bless you, for giving him what he wanted the most in his life...a good home and someone to love him......

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish every moment you spend with Dan is filled with much love. ❤ So sorry that it is this handsome boy's time to cross the Rainbow bridge is drawing near. Keep his memory alive now and always. 🤗

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

baz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's over. He went downhill very fast Sunday. We sat with him all night and took him to the vet first thing in the morning. They were very kind and broke their virus lockdown rules to let us be with him until the end. Farewell big fella.

DSC00096.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.