17 Month Cat Eating Less Than Usual?

macyaji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Rose used to eat a lot when she was a kitten, but gradually she started to eat less and less. Now she will only eat two 2.5oz can food a day and sometimes she can't even finish the two 2.5oz wet food. She is full of energy and is UTD with shots! Should I be worry or it is normal for older cat to eat less?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - as kittens reach their adult size and finish growing, they do slow down eating. There are members who utilize a caloric counting method of determining how much to feed, but I go by whether I can lightly feel the Big Guy's ribs with a thin layer of fat over them. There are also adult cat body charts available on the internet.
You could, if you wanted to, track her weight by using a bathroom scale if you have one, or even baby scales work.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is 100% normal for a cat to eat less once the crazy growth stops. A one year old cat is said to be about 90% of eventual size (in terms of length and height anyway).

5 oz of food a day is not a lot, but if its a small cat I wouldn't worry. My two cats 7 and 11 pounds, eat around 18 oz between the two of them, but they are indoor outdoor cats and probably burn a lot more calories as a result.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes, kittens eat lots as they need all the nutrients to grow and they are active and energetic and so they burn off lots of calories.

As they reach adult stage, their eating amount will taper down and slowly eat a little less as the age progresses and they may still be active but not as active as a kitten. They tend to sleep/rest more.

Some feed their cats according to the calories needed for the day. For me, I feed my boy whenever he’s hungry and when he’s hungry, he’ll ask for food. Other than that, I can ask him to eat and begged him to eat till the cows come home and he’ll just not eat. So I know his pattern of hunger and I’m not too worried if he does not eat enough. I still feed him as much as he can eat but he does not stuff himself but will walk away when he’s full even if there are balanced food in his plate and he is not fat but a little little pudgy which I like him to be rather than skinny. He’s slightly past two years old.

Again, some cats eat a little more and some a little less. As long as they are eating, peeing, pooping and playing normally, they should be ok. Unless they are totally not eating at all for a day or two regardless of how delicious the food is, then this calls for a medical intervention.

Last edited: