16 year old cat urinates on carpets, urgently need help

bernkastel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my cat Darwin for a little over 15 years now (he was 6 months or so when we got him)

When we adopted him they said he had been a rescue and was previously feral, and unfortunately he's been on and off again carpet urinating since the day he came home, my mom and grandparents are at the point where we have to either rehome him or put him down if we can't find someone to take him, and the mere thought of either sends me to tears, I've grown up with this cat and we have a very strong bond, he also helps with my severe anxiety so getting rid of him will do a number on me :(

We took him to the vet recently and he has a completely clean bill of health, minus being a little bit overweight (only a few pounds, not too much)

So my question is what do I do? This is obviously a behavioural problem, and a long running one with that, and because of it I may have to rehome my cat, or worse! I'm absolutely desperate for anything that could work, I may not be able to sway them to try anything else but I'll certainly try for the sake of my baby :(

He eats purina (usually hairball or senior formulas), is long haired, mixed breed (likely half Maine coon) and has no other behavioural problems whatsoever, so I really don't know what to do, we even got him a new litter box with better litter and still nothing!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh dear.  I certainly hope you don't have to rehome a 16 year old cat.  It would be extremely difficult to find someone to take him as well as him adjusting.  I certainly hope you can find some answers. 

So, a few questions I have for you:

1.  Is he neutered?

2.  Does he poop in the littler box?

3.  How often does he have accidents:

4.  How many litter boxes do you have?

5.  Do you have other cats?

6.  What type of litter box do you have and what type of litter do you use?

7.  How often do you clean the litter box?

While I wait for you to respond, I will attach an article as well as a few video on litter box problems.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/litterbox-problems-in-cats-the-ultimate-guide

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ca you keep him confined to a smaller room when you can't watch him? It still may be that he doesn't like the litter, try and change it again, and change the location of the litter box. I can't believe your family would be so heartless as to put down a 16 year old cat, have they ever heard of Karma? It may come to haunt them when THEY get old and incontinent! Good luck, I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bernkastel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is indeed neutered, and he poops in his box just fine, just refuses to urinate there

his accidents are hard to really track, sometimes he goes a good while without peeing on the carpet (I lived in a townhome in virginia for about 3/4 years and I can't recall any accidents there) but since we moved here about 5/6 years ago he's peed a good bit on the carpets (not very consistently though)

we only have one box set up, we really don't have the space for 2 right now but the one we have is an autoscooper that works pretty fantastically

no other cats anymore, he did grow up with another cat I owned as a child but they've been seperate for 5 years or so now (which is probably good, he really didn't like the other cat and seems pretty happy to be rid of him, the other cat is still alive as well, though he lives elsewhere)

It's called the scoopfree self cleaning litter box, here's the product  

it's self cleaning, but if I see clumps that the box itself missed ill generally remove them

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would certainly try a different litter box.  Get a cheap sterlite container that is about 23-25" long x 18" wide and 5" deep.  Fill it with Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract.  See if that helps.  I wonder if the machine could have gone off on him once while he was in the box.  Try just a regular box.  The litter attract works so well.

Also what are you using to clean up the pee?  You need a good enzymatic cleaner that removes all traces of the urine.  If you are using anything with ammonia or not getting the scent out, he will continue to pee over and over again in the same spot.  It essentially becomes his litter box.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Everyone gave you good advice!  I had a thought however, I had wonderful cat for 8 years & he do not use his box many times throughout the years.  Living alone I could just clean up when necessary & would have never parted with him.  You have the disadvantage of having others to worry about. When I would get really stressed or the house was in an uproar over something was when he did it the most.  Could something be bothering him?  Also, I would get a regular litter box; big, not self cleaning  & no top.  As he is older try to get a really small grained type of litter (my cat came declawed) and unscented. 

People always say it's a 'behavior" problem but this is the only way cats have to tell us there is something wrong in their lives.

bernkastel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all, I put his old box and litter back down since he was accident free with it for a good while, I'll just have to scoop it more than I was doing and try to keep it as immaculate as a poop box can be lol, hopefully if results show improvement they'll reconsider, we had him in the bathroom for the past few days and he hasn't used his new box once, so I really think the box might be the problem in this situation.

Hopefully he'll stop using carpets as kitty litter now, I'll have to look for a different shape of kitty box and see if I can find something that might be easier to get into for him, since I know eventually that could pose problematic (he does well with it now, but it's definitely a future thought)

I'll also have to look into small room arrangements in the new house were getting, at least for overnight kind of deals since I think that's mostly when he does it

Should I also consider moving his food farther from his box? It isn't terribly close but if it might help I can try to find a different spot for it,

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go to Walmart, Target or a home improvement store and go to where they sell storage boxes.  Here is an example http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-c...ium_1_7&tempterm=sterilite+storage+containers

I definitely would get some of the litter attract.  It is worth every penny.  Also make sure you have really cleaned all of the urine.  It is very very important. 

The litter box needs to be cleaned every single day.  With a cat having litter box problems, I would clean it 2x a day or more. 

You do have options to try and I certainly hope the suggestions are tried before ending this cats life. 

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, I would not keep the food by the litter box.  Also, I keep the water away from the food.  I had read that cats do not want to get food in their water.

bernkastel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh really? I've never heard that before actually o:

I'll have to see what I can do, his food and water setup is a bit odd lol, he has to eat out of a slow feeder and his water bowl is absolutely /huge/ and kind of dwarfs his bowl lol

We'll definitely be moving it at least, and as for the overall situation I explained the reasoning behind him peeing on my moms carpet and she said we'll have to have a family discussion with my grandparents about it, I'm hoping I can get them to understand he did it because of his new box, my mom is definitely willing to let him have another chance but since it's my grandparents house it's unfortunately their decision whether he's allowed here or not :(

So wish me luck I suppose,I've got till the weekend to think about how we can handle the potential problem in the new house and how to explain the reasoning behind this urination, hopefully they'll be willing to listen, and as soon as his old box went down the other night he hopped right in and peed like there was no tomorrow, so it's definitely the new box

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

No, I would not keep the food by the litter box.  Also, I keep the water away from the food.  I had read that cats do not want to get food in their water.
Quite right.. Cats like their water well away from food, probably because of contamination.  And they certainly don't like to eat where they poo.. I can just see my cats looking at me going 'eewww' if I did that..

I really do wish you luck with your lovely boy.  He deserves to stay with you and live comfortably in his latter years.

bernkastel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update now that family discussions have been had, he can stay as long as he doesn't do it again, so anything at all that anyone can suggest to ensure its prevented is definitely welcome!

I'm just glad I get to keep cuddling my boy at night, now to make sure it stays that way!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update now that family discussions have been had, he can stay as long as he doesn't do it again, so anything at all that anyone can suggest to ensure its prevented is definitely welcome!

I'm just glad I get to keep cuddling my boy at night, now to make sure it stays that way!
I am happy he gets to stay.  But I seriously doubt he will never have an accident again.  For one he is 16 years old and accidents happen.  Also this is now a learned behavior and changing a behavior takes time.  It will not go away over night.

What suggestions have you tried or are trying so far?

You need to explain to your family that you are working on the problem, but that it will take time for him.  Also their help might be needed.  That is a lot of pressure on you and this poor cat. 

bernkastel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been busy lately whoops, but I've been scooping his litter every night and sometimes morning too, we removed all the rubber-bottomed carpets, and moved his food and water even farther from his litter, so far he seems to be doing good (he certainly pees a lot, yeesh)
I've also started using a cat litter powder to reduce the stench in case that was a factor, he can currently get into his carbon perfectly fine but if I see him start to have difficulties I can easily place some sort of small step for him to have easier access

We're mostly just monitoring him and keeping an eye on the carpeted stairs, but so far no further accidents (other than him keeping me awake last night bc he wanted attention lol)

So he seems to be doing well with a few adjustments to his litter, food, and environment

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Been busy lately whoops, but I've been scooping his litter every night and sometimes morning too, we removed all the rubber-bottomed carpets, and moved his food and water even farther from his litter, so far he seems to be doing good (he certainly pees a lot, yeesh)
I've also started using a cat litter powder to reduce the stench in case that was a factor, he can currently get into his carbon perfectly fine but if I see him start to have difficulties I can easily place some sort of small step for him to have easier access

We're mostly just monitoring him and keeping an eye on the carpeted stairs, but so far no further accidents (other than him keeping me awake last night bc he wanted attention lol)

So he seems to be doing well with a few adjustments to his litter, food, and environment
Thanks for the update.  I am glad all is going well.