16 "natural breeds"

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was very interested in the discussion in "What breed is my kitten"
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221213

I found the link very interesting and was wondering about the referance to the 16 "natural breeds." Does anyone know what these are? I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box but I do have a interest in cat genetics and the region that they originated in. Can any one answer my question or refer a link to it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sharky.

Unfortunately my computer won't access that link. I guess I could google....just lazy!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is also on the cfa.. to make the short story .. they are the ones who came up with 16 orginal breeds

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
CFA classifies breeds in one of four categories; Established, Hybrid, Mutation, or Natural.

Natural breeds are breeds that developed in certain geographical regions and cats resembling those breeds can be found in that region's population of domestic cats. Some examples of natural breeds would include the Siberian, Turkish Angora, Egyptian Mau, Turkish Van, and Japanese Bobtail. Each of these breeds (as well as the other natural breeds) may bring in cats from their specified regions to use for breeding. Policies regarding importation differ from breed to breed. For example, all native Turkish Angoras must trace back to the cats being preserved at the Ankara Zoo. Native Egyptian Maus must be examined by judges/breed council members before the new line is slowly introduced to the breed over a period of 4 generations. Native Japanese Bobtails and Turkish Vans must be accepted by their respective breed councils, but the native cats are able to compete for awards in championship.

I know that one such Japanese Bobtail reached the title of Grand Champion and several such Turkish Vans became champions and have points towards reaching their Grand Champion title.

rawvixen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

For example, all native Turkish Angoras must trace back to the cats being preserved at the Ankara Zoo.
Really? I thought most TAs meeting the CFA/TICA standards were genetically closer to cats like the Mau. Which would be a bit disappointing, since I find the fine-boned, long-eared version quite attractive, and can't really tell the Ankara Zoo cats from Turkish Vans.

/tangent

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friend of mine who was one of the early breeders of TA's in America had gotten an import TA from the zoo (I have no idea how but she knew someone over there). The cat (male) was larger then most of the TA's now with a heavier coat and a horrible mean temperament!

It took quite a while for the TA's to get rid of that horrible temperament problem that was in the early breedings!

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RawVixen

Really? I thought most TAs meeting the CFA/TICA standards were genetically closer to cats like the Mau. Which would be a bit disappointing, since I find the fine-boned, long-eared version quite attractive, and can't really tell the Ankara Zoo cats from Turkish Vans.

/tangent
Maus and Angoras share little in common, outside of the fact that the Egyptian Mau's region of import includes Turkey. However, no Native Egyptian Maus have ever been imported from Turkey to my knowledge, and I am quite familiar with the history of my breed. No Angora breeders on record have used Maus in their program, as all of their cats must trace back to the cats at the Ankara Zoo.

I imported Turkish Vans from Turkey. There are many cats in the Turkish domestic population that meet standards for both the Van and Angora breeds--I've seen them myself! The cover of a winter issue of Cat Fancy will feature the son of one of the Turkish Vans I imported; Mimesis Frecklejuice of Jazzcats. But I never once saw anything in Turkey that meets the Egyptian Mau standard.

From a breeder's perspective, I would not encourage anyone to try to import a Native Egyptian Mau from Turkey. White spotting is common in that region and many cats are blood-type B. White spotting is not permitted in the Mau standard and the gene pool seems to only have blood-type A cats. While I personally can handle pregnancies with blood-type incompatibilites, why put future breeders in a position where they have to deal with such issues?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maine Coons also fall into the 'natural breeds' category. There are still cats of that type in New England.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I had the time to read this, I noticed something off topic: one of the vets/researchers/whatshouldIcall those mentioned right after the title, I've used her genetic lab (her lab has her name, so I think she quite good then? xD) for my cats' blood tests, I didn't know she was that interested in cats!
(She's involved with other species aswell, like horses).
Had to share just because I was positively surprised..