15year old cat sick or dying??

OscarsMom312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 15 year old cat named Oscar. Male and has always been sociable. The past week or so, it looks as if his left eye has his third eye lid out. The past month or two he has lost a lot of weight. He also does not sit all of they way down on his butt. He has been eating and drinking, but his poop has been much smaller, like small gumball size. He has always been an indoor cat. He has also been sleeping more and not coming out as much. He’s also been stinky. I can’t really explain the odor, but kinda like poop. I’m always checking his backside, but it’s clean. Any thoughts??
Hoping for the best 🐱

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you taken the cat to the vet? if not, that would be the best thing to do. Your cat's symptoms could be indicate any number of illnesses and only a vet would be able to make a diagnosis and provide the proper treatment. If affording vet care is a concern, look for a low cost vet clinic in your area or see if one of these organizations can help:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OscarsMom312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you taken the cat to the vet? if not, that would be the best thing to do. Your cat's symptoms could be indicate any number of illnesses and only a vet would be able to make a diagnosis and provide the proper treatment. If affording vet care is a concern, look for a low cost vet clinic in your area or see if one of these organizations can help:

[/URL]
[/URL]
Thanks. We have not gone yet. But it looks as a visit may be necessary.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A vet visit ASAP is absolutely necessary. Even a small illness can lead to big problems if not taken care of quickly, especially in an older cat. Feeby (15+ yo) had a really tough past 6 months due to a flea infestation, which lead to several other health issues. It really took a toll on her and I am glad I stayed on top of it as I fear what might have happened had I not done so.

No telling about the 'stinkiness', but it could be anal gland related - normal sized and formed stools help to express the glands naturally and since Oscar isn't going 'normally' his glands could be clogging up. If not expressed, the glands can become impacted - which might even explain the way he sits. Of course, arthritis is another possibility for his siting position. The third eye is clearly a sign of some sort of illness, and the weight loss is very, very concerning.

Don't wait to see a vet. And, I would make sure they do a full senior check up, which will include blood testing (CBC, Chemistry Profile, & thyroid function), as well as a possible urinalysis and fecal check. X-rays would be helpful in identifying any signs of arthritis.