14 wk old kitten acting weird after first vaccine- disoriented, slow blinks

Harborlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Reaction score
Hey all, so my kitten is 14wks (ish- my husband found her in a dumpster), female, named Zoe, and after having a weight check today she was given her first vaccine...

Now, first off, my vet said she only uses killed vaccines... which I really wasn’t looking for, but she assured me she rarely sees issues and I kinda feel stupid for not pushing the issue. So Zoe got the FVRCP-C at 1 pm today. Zoe came home, hid under the bed for hours.

I let her be thinking she needs rest. My kids are in bed now so I called for her to come eat and sit with me because she’s super snuggly at night. She was under the bed and I had to coax her out. Her pupils are not steady and her blinks are slow and disoriented. I picked her up (not touching the injection site) and she hissed like she had no idea who I was. She wouldn’t follow me so I carried her out after she calmed down from hissing. She just seems super confused and her third eyelid is super slow. She seems to have a hard time following my voice.

I put her into the carrier with a blanket and covered it (door open). She is resting now but she just feels weird.. and I totally sound like a crazy cat lady but she feels off and I’m worried. And I’m totally kicking myself for not making the vet order the live vaccine I wanted.

Furballsmom

Cat Fan especially Black Cats
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Reaction score
Hi! Did you call your vet, or another vet - the things you're describing about her are not normal. How are things now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Harborlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Reaction score
She ate a few kibble that night and then the next day was acting normal again. I do think I’m going to consider it a reaction and request an alternate vaccine- I’m hoping the vet does not argue or say she can’t get it though. I would much rather not deal with killed vaccines.