13 yo cat eating less and less food. Losing weight. Vets can't figure out why.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcat6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Results of fine needle aspirates have identified aggressive, high grade large cell intestinal lymphoma. Making appointment with veterinary oncologist now, but been told prognosis is poor.

Thanks for all the support you all have given. I'll try to give updates.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Man, I didn't see that coming... So sorry that cancer is the issue. I don't know if you are interested, but there is a forum group for feline cancer. The link I am sharing below is primarily for small cell, but they have recently added a section for large cell, so maybe there are forum members with some knowledge, tips, and advice that they could share with you.
[email protected] | Topics
The forum is free to join, and once you are able to post, you can look through the 'hashtags' to find the one for large cell. It's a starting point anyway. The moderators might even suggest a different forum since they are much more familiar with them than I am.

Please do keep us posted if you can.

zcat6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Man, I didn't see that coming... So sorry that cancer is the issue. I don't know if you are interested, but there is a forum group for feline cancer. The link I am sharing below is primarily for small cell, but they have recently added a section for large cell, so maybe there are forum members with some knowledge, tips, and advice that they could share with you.
[email protected] | Topics
The forum is free to join, and once you are able to post, you can look through the 'hashtags' to find the one for large cell. It's a starting point anyway. The moderators might even suggest a different forum since they are much more familiar with them than I am.

Please do keep us posted if you can.
Thank you so much for the link. Unfortunately, every time I hit SUBMIT to create a new account, the new-account application page just refreshes. Do I need a specific invite?

Oh, here is my beloved boy. Still looking okay except for losing weight. Sweetest cat ever. Loves people, adores other cats even if they hate him back, good with dogs, never met a stranger, super outgoing and friendly. Also been my foster ambassador for countless rescue cats and kittens. He loves them all and teaches them how to be housecats with his easy going, kind nature. He became the bridge that led to numerous under-socialized foster cats i had becoming relaxed lovebugs (they learned quickly he is not a threat, and watched him and followed his lead) who got snapped up at adoption events into (well-screened) awesome furever homes. It will be his legacy. Can't see how there could ever be another like him. Oh, he also does 5 different dog tricks including come when called, sit, lie down, beg, and shake hands-both paws. Wish I could have gotten some of that on video. He was highly trainable because he would do anything for treats! Loved loved loved his yum yums! Now I can barely get him to eat high calorie kitten food. 💔

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update but so sorry for the prognosis. 😿 Nevertheless I will keep your boy in my thoughts and hope the veterinary oncologist is helpful. Please keep us posted on his progress, we will be rooting for him.:grouphug:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now I can barely get him to eat high calorie kitten food...Thank you so much for the link. Unfortunately, every time I hit SUBMIT to create a new account, the new-account application page just refreshes. Do I need a specific invite?
I love his pic; so sweet!!!!! I didn't have any kind of invitation to the forum. Maybe I gave you the wrong link, try this one:
[email protected]. If that doesn't work, try sending an email to: [email protected] and tell them what is happening.

Until such time that you can get the oncology visit, ask your vet if there is any reason you couldn't give him an appetite stimulant to see if that might help any, such as the transdermal form (ointment to rub into ear) called Mirataz. Just start out with about half the normal dosage. The dosage is normally a 1.5 inch squeeze of the ointment from a tube, and I started Feeby on 0.75" and still only give it to her every third day. Every cat is different, so there is some experimentation to get the dosage right for your buddy. Too much can cause a cat to feel starved, to howl about it, and/or appear agitated. That's why you start low and adjust accordingly. This med can kick in as soon as a few hours, but with Feeby it actually takes nearly 12 hours to notice a change in her appetite. Again, every cat is different. You are to wear gloves during the application. I take basic plastic gloves and cut a finger off for each application; that way, you don't go through so many gloves.

If you think nausea is involved, the vet can also give you a med for that - something like Cerenia to take along with the MIrataz.

Last edited:

zcat6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the info! I did join that small cell lymphoma io group and learned a lot but apparently the owner interpreted some of my posts as "insulting" --which i don't understand, i gave her and her site nothing but praise and gratitude-- maybe it was the way I asked questions, I have no idea -- and now is threatening to kick me off her forum. So, yea. -_-

Anyway, Qbert is now in his second cycle of chemo and initially responded really well, but now his bloodwork is trending negative again, so we may do another ultrasound next week to see where his masses are at.

Thanks for all the well wishes! We'll keep fighting as long as we still have quality of life. >^.^<

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found the SCL group to be a bit 'rough around the edges', so to speak. But look at what they are dealing with having to handle so much discussion about feline cancer! So, lie low and re-read your posts to see if you can pick up on what might have 'bothered' them.

Sorry to hear about his blood work going in the wrong direction. Maybe it is short term thing? I have heard before that there can be ups and down during chemo. I hope that is all it is.

zcat6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found the SCL group to be a bit 'rough around the edges', so to speak. But look at what they are dealing with having to handle so much discussion about feline cancer! So, lie low and re-read your posts to see if you can pick up on what might have 'bothered' them.

Sorry to hear about his blood work going in the wrong direction. Maybe it is short term thing? I have heard before that there can be ups and down during chemo. I hope that is all it is.
Lol, that is a good descriptor. I did ask the owner to point out what she found offensive, and even though I still couldn't really understand her perception, I accepted that everyone reads things differently and apologized, etc. She still seemed to think every other post of mine was somehow a dig and sent me lots of nastygrams. When i told her her attacks were hurtful and asked her to please point out my fallacies a little less derisively (I am a giant softie) and I would still fix them immediately, she blew a fuse. I am sure she has a lot on her plate, and I know she must have a big heart to maintain that huge site, but definitely has a mean streak. And I have a very hard time with mean people, especially those slapping the faces of sad, emotionally exhausted pet owners who are just desperate for any help or info.

Anyway, despite the drama, I thanked her repeatedly for the site and help and I did learn a lot. Hopefully she'll let me continue to visit. I wouldn't dare post again though, lol.

As for my kitty's bloodwork, I am hoping the same thing-- that the downturn is transient. Our next appointment is next Tuesday where he'll get another CBC and either and ultrasound if bad or next dose of CHOP if okay.

Thank you for the kind words. It's really nice to see a friendly post. It's heart-crushing to have a beloved family member with terminal cancer. I just hope we can get some time in remission. He's my soulcat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyway, despite the drama, I thanked her repeatedly for the site and help and I did learn a lot. Hopefully she'll let me continue to visit. I wouldn't dare post again though, lol.
Speaking of that, I should tell you, I got 'chastised' as well because the tests done on my cat were inconclusive to cancer, so I was kind of told to get more testing done or stop wasting their time (not quite that rude, but...). It was also suggested to me that I could be removed from subscribing to the forum if I didn't have more 'material' evidence supporting the possibility of cancer. So, I told her I would not post anymore without more data that would suggest cancer but would like to remain part of the forum for informational purposes. So, you can see, you are definitely not alone!

Keep us posted on Qbert, please!

zcat6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Speaking of that, I should tell you, I got 'chastised' as well because the tests done on my cat were inconclusive to cancer, so I was kind of told to get more testing done or stop wasting their time (not quite that rude, but...). It was also suggested to me that I could be removed from subscribing to the forum if I didn't have more 'material' evidence supporting the possibility of cancer. So, I told her I would not post anymore without more data that would suggest cancer but would like to remain part of the forum for informational purposes. So, you can see, you are definitely not alone!

Keep us posted on Qbert, please!
Lol, you are the second person to relate a similar story about that site owner! Once I posted a link to some published papers pertaining to drugs that many of our cats were on thinking it could be helpful or added to the wiki and she sent me "who do you think you are, you think you can find information, you can't!" No exaggeration. It was insane.

What I don't understand is how a person who obviously has a huge heart and deep passion to help cats with lymphoma and their parents would behave in such a mean and defensive manner, especially when all anyone does on her site is praise and thank her for all her work. Like you, I would still like to be able to read the LCL hashtag and expansive wiki, but I think I may have burned a bridge by doing the reprehensible and inexcusable act of asking her to be a little kinder in her replies...

So what did happen with your cat? Was it SCL?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rules vary by those forums on io - makes it very hard to know what you can and cannot do. I am on two other io forums (for cats, of course) and I have to refresh my memory on what their rules are each time before I post!!

Feeby has not been diagnosed with SCL - 12/2021 ultrasound and FNA were 'inconclusive', and 'no overtly neoplastic cells were identified'. Neoplastic apparently being the operative word when looking for cancer. However, she had enlarged lymph nodes in the intestinal area - that is what they did the FNA on.
She also has a thickened spleen and one enlarged adrenal gland - those remained unchanged from the previous ultrasound that was done in 8/2021. But the lymph node issue was new. The specialty group that performed the ultrasound recommended steroids and perhaps even chemo - on the chance it could be IBD/cancer. She has no symptoms that would specifically relate to IBD or cancer for that matter, and no masses or intestinal wall thickening either.
So, uh, nope. Not going there just yet. Will have to have another ultrasound done sometime in the coming months to look for additional changes that might give a better clue as to whether or not it could be lymphoma. She does have hyperthyroidism and CKD. Sorry for the long response to your question.

zcat6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rules vary by those forums on io - makes it very hard to know what you can and cannot do. I am on two other io forums (for cats, of course) and I have to refresh my memory on what their rules are each time before I post!!

Feeby has not been diagnosed with SCL - 12/2021 ultrasound and FNA were 'inconclusive', and 'no overtly neoplastic cells were identified'. Neoplastic apparently being the operative word when looking for cancer. However, she had enlarged lymph nodes in the intestinal area - that is what they did the FNA on.
She also has a thickened spleen and one enlarged adrenal gland - those remained unchanged from the previous ultrasound that was done in 8/2021. But the lymph node issue was new. The specialty group that performed the ultrasound recommended steroids and perhaps even chemo - on the chance it could be IBD/cancer. She has no symptoms that would specifically relate to IBD or cancer for that matter, and no masses or intestinal wall thickening either.
So, uh, nope. Not going there just yet. Will have to have another ultrasound done sometime in the coming months to look for additional changes that might give a better clue as to whether or not it could be lymphoma. She does have hyperthyroidism and CKD. Sorry for the long response to your question.
No apologies, I love reading fellow cat parent's stories. Sound like Freebie is in great hands. My guy had moderate thickening of the jejunum and two masses, so you may be okay in that arena if Freebie (love that name, btw) doesn't have that.

If she ever does need chemo, it is true, at least in my case, that cats tolerate chemotherapy very well. Q had mild diarrhea for about a day that cleared up on its own, no vomiting or other side effect. Oh, except that he did lose some of his whiskers. They warned me that might happen. It doesn't seem to have bothered him much though, and they are starting to grow back now. He has razor stubble in a few places!

Thanks again for your kind posting and supportive words. After two months of on again off again nastiness, it is really nice to chat with a friendly fellow cat-with-illness owner. :)

Here are my current furkids. That's Q on the left, the brown and white 13 year old and his recently adopted fluffy step-sister 4 year old Asia. They get along fine but Q doesn't really want to play anymore right now which is understandable, so she is a little confused about that, but still okay with her tons of toys and cat trees all over the house. They definitely own the house, I just live there!

Attachments

zcat6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FEEBY. DARN autocorrect! :)