12 Months in with street cat, can anyone help?

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had Len a street cat 12 months now , approx 6 yrs from a rescue centre, they were open from the start saying he’d never be a lap cat, and had a biting and swiping issue. 12 months later, hes a lap cat when he chooses, follows me everywhere, never goes out unless he follows me round the garden. The bites are mainly nibbles now, although there’s still some random ouch ones..never hard enough to draw blood though. One problem..his claws.., he strokes my face in the morning he’s trying to be gentle but his damn claws are out. He sometimes wants to play rough and catches me by surprise and he cuts me up. There no aggression there now at all. Can you teach a cat to retract his claws?. Trimmings a no go been trying since I got him to touch his paws, he will bite then and mean it, So unless I put him in a straight jacket can’t see that being a option.
B7165DAE-0D1B-4A07-8A97-FCB6E55D20B1.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... what a cutie pie. So good to hear that he's losing most of his feral tendencies and adapting well to being spoiled pet.

About his claws, I feel your pain. My Ruby, though never feral, HATES having her paws touched, and hates being restrained in any way, so claw trimming is not something we do often, or easily. My only suggestion is to try to do one claw at at time, when he's sleepy and less likely to be alert. I know that might not be easy, especially if he's a light sleeper, but it's the only way I get Ruby's claws clipped. And just aim to clip off the very tip, as that will get rid of the razor sharp edge. Good luck.

Here's a TCS article on How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws – TheCatSite Articles with some more info.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound like I didn't really read your post, but I did. Been there with the morning claw and landing on during the night. Try to learn to sleep on your stomach with a light blanket pulled over your face. I know its hard to do and harder in the summer. It was the only solution I discovered. After awhile kit lost interest in patting the head.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww... what a cutie pie. So good to hear that he's losing most of his feral tendencies and adapting well to being spoiled pet.

About his claws, I feel your pain. My Ruby, though never feral, HATES having her paws touched, and hates being restrained in any way, so claw trimming is not something we do often, or easily. My only suggestion is to try to do one claw at at time, when he's sleepy and less likely to be alert. I know that might not be easy, especially if he's a light sleeper, but it's the only way I get Ruby's claws clipped. And just aim to clip off the very tip, as that will get rid of the razor sharp edge. Good luck.

Here's a TCS article on How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws – TheCatSite Articles with some more info.
Oh he’s doing great, considering I had to wear gloves for a month around him, I know he was found with abscesses on his paws that’s how he ended up in the shelter, maybe that’s why he’s so touchy..I can clean his ears no problem, a lot of grumbling but that’s it. Yeah I’ll try what you suggested, sometimes his claws are out when he’s napping , I’ll keep the clippers in my pocket so I don’t miss a opportunity lol. He’s not keen on toys , he’d rather hide behind corners and ambush me, or grab and kick me, the claws would be that much of a issue otherwise, guess he sees me as a big cat. Thanks for the advice.

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may sound like I didn't really read your post, but I did. Been there with the morning claw and landing on during the night. Try to learn to sleep on your stomach with a light blanket pulled over your face. I know its hard to do and harder in the summer. It was the only solution I discovered. After awhile kit lost interest in patting the head.
Its more the fact his claws are out even though he’s trying to be gentle, my old boy used to do the same but no claws goes with the territory of cat ownership I think. But it’s a improvement on the hard bite on the arm which he used to do. It’s not I nightly thing , he has a timed cat feeder cos of his food obsession..so if he thinks it’s food time and it’s failed to open he wakes me up lol. I just want him to keep his damned talons to himself lol.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he’d rather hide behind corners and ambush me, or grab and kick me, the claws would be that much of a issue otherwise, guess he sees me as a big cat.
Since he sees you as a big cat, when his claws scratch you, say "owwwww" in a high pitched tone, as that's how another cat would let him know he's hurting them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he ever complete retract his claws? My parents had a cat rescued as a kitten from under a car, where he was fighting off two small dogs. He won, but his claws never completely retracted after that. The vet suspected he might have strained/ over extended the tendons (?) I'm not sure now what, it's been a long time, but you get the idea. Maybe ask your cat's vet if this is possible.

In the meantime, and this will sound silly, moisturize your skin. That will keep it flexible and the scratches won't do as much damage.

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since he sees you as a big cat, when his claws scratch you, say "owwwww" in a high pitched tone, as that's how another cat would let him know he's hurting them.
Yeah I say owww, but not in high pitch…so l tried that..gotta say he stopped in his tracks, looked at me as if I’d gone mad then came and gave me a head butt..awesome thanks

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he ever complete retract his claws? My parents had a cat rescued as a kitten from under a car, where he was fighting off two small dogs. He won, but his claws never completely retracted after that. The vet suspected he might have strained/ over extended the tendons (?) I'm not sure now what, it's been a long time, but you get the idea. Maybe ask your cat's vet if this is possible.

In the meantime, and this will sound silly, moisturize your skin. That will keep it flexible and the scratches won't do as much damage.
Yes he can retract them, when I 1st met him at the rescue, he walked over to me, bit me and slapped me ..claws in. When he’s in a lap cat mood, he’s fine..he even likes a tummy tickle… the kneading is painful, but I just suck that up lol. When I’m eating he paws me claws in…it just when he want to play, and ofc he goes from a lapcat to wildcat in a blink of a eye, I will try the moisturiser though ..thanks

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful with the yowww work.

Here's a simple thing you might try, keep a decent sized bath towel by your favorite sitting place where he joins you in your lap. Drape the towel from mid-chest down. The towel will take the sharpness of the claws when he's kneading. I'm not sure they are that aware of their claws when they knead, after all kneading is a trip back to kitten-hood. If you look at kittens kneading on Mom, they have their claws out.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah I say owww, but not in high pitch…so l tried that..gotta say he stopped in his tracks, looked at me as if I’d gone mad then came and gave me a head butt..awesome thanks
Excellent. :clap:

A similar thing happened with me and Ruby shortly after I adopted her. As a former stray, she was seriously food obsessed, and in the mornings she's be extra antsy looking for breakfast, and would get all bitey and clawy at me before I got out of bed. One morning she bit too hard and broke the skin on my finger. It startled me, but also hurt, and I instinctively yelped "owwww", which sent Ruby under the covers to hide. I hadn't meant to scare her, but she also never bit that hard again.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Food obsessed! Oh ho, do you ever have a big lever!

First, stop all free feeding (that means no more timed feeder at night). Put your cat on a feeding schedule. Engage your cat while promoting its food. Let the cat watch you open the cans, dish up the food and make sure you have its full attention before placing the food down. You want your cat to know you are the Keeper of the Tinned Mice. Food comes from you. If there are other people in your household, get them involved with feeding the cat.

Next, keep a bag of treats nearby when in bed. When the cat paws you with its ,claws, let out a yelp or say “No!” If the cat stops for at least ten seconds, give it a treat and let it know what a good kitty it is. But your cat must stop its unwanted behavior for at least ten seconds before getting a treat!

PS- Little by little, extend the time the cat must wait before being rewarded and have a real good play session before going to bed. Make sure last feed time is no later than about an hour before bedtime.

Last edited:

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Excellent. :clap:

A similar thing happened with me and Ruby shortly after I adopted her. As a former stray, she was seriously food obsessed, and in the mornings she's be extra antsy looking for breakfast, and would get all bitey and clawy at me before I got out of bed. One morning she bit too hard and broke the skin on my finger. It startled me, but also hurt, and I instinctively yelped "owwww", which sent Ruby under the covers to hide. I hadn't meant to scare her, but she also never bit that hard again.
I think the shock of being woke up by a hard bite and me knocking him off the bed a few times cured that one, now he does it more subtly , gently chewing on my elbow, pawing my face,well he tries to be gentle bless him..or his latest jumping on me from the window. The high pitched owww seemed to have a effect he actually grabbed me claws in yesterday..I was amazed.

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Food obsessed! Oh ho, do you ever have a big lever!

First, stop all free feeding (that means no more timed feeder at night). Put your cat on a feeding schedule. Engage your cat while promoting its food. Let the cat watch you open the cans, dish up the food and make sure you have its full attention before placing the food down. You want your cat to know you are the Keeper of the Tinned Mice. Food comes from you. If there are other people in your household, get them involved with feeding the cat.

Next, keep a bag of treats nearby when in bed. When the cat paws you with its ,claws, let out a yelp or say “No!” If the cat stops for at least ten seconds, give it a treat and let it know what a good kitty it is. But your cat must stop its unwanted behavior for at least ten seconds before getting a treat!

PS- Little by little, extend the time the cat must wait before being rewarded and have a real good play session before going to bed. Make sure last feed time is no later than about an hour before bedtime.
Well the feedings not really a issue, it’s the claws at playtime. Yeah 12 months ago it was pretty bad. Now he even refused to eat some food I got when I couldn’t get his normal brand. Stop the timer feeds..not a chance , I need my sleep or I’d be missing work. I split his food into lots of tiny meals and we’re both happy. His treats go in a puzzle feeder, he used to swipe when I put them in he soon learnt to stop that when I delayed feeding him, same when I put his food bowls down, now hes a perfect gentleman, except when I swapped his morning yogurt for fat free, he left his yogurt walked over and bit me…I had to laugh at that one though.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a huge difference between any food and it's fat free version. You can't miss that.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well the feedings not really a issue, it’s the claws at playtime...
I'm not suggesting feeding is an issue. When you put your cat on a feeding schedule, it strengthens the bond between cat and guardian and when training, gives the treat reward a bigger punch.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were never on a schedule since our schedules kept changing. No schedule means they learn to wait until you wake up, which means you can sleep in from time to time. However, mine always got tired of treats after 1/4 a bag of them, so we stopped buying treats.

In time, we discovered dry food and filled a column (non-timed) feeder with it. You just have to check the bowl from time to time since some cats drop food out of their mouths and this gives way to mold occasionally.

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not suggesting feeding is an issue. When you put your cat on a feeding schedule, it strengthens the bond between cat and guardian and when training, gives the treat reward a bigger punch.
I work shifts, so the timer is the only way of getting a schedule..if I’m sitting at the pc and it’s past feed time he just sits on the desk in front of me…yep he has me trained really well

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine were never on a schedule since our schedules kept changing. No schedule means they learn to wait until you wake up, which means you can sleep in from time to time. However, mine always got tired of treats after 1/4 a bag of them, so we stopped buying treats.

In time, we discovered dry food and filled a column (non-timed) feeder with it. You just have to check the bowl from time to time since some cats drop food out of their mouths and this gives way to mold occasionally.
Yeah same, I work shifts..so personal feed time impossible, another reason for the timer. I had one of the feeders you have for my old boy..but he only ate when hungry..this one would empty it in one go lol..he stole a bag of cheese flavoured treats ..boy did he have bright yellow poo hehe