12 hours of Loud Meowing!!!

Kempmovic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The rescued Cat i am taking care off was initially diagnosed wrong with FeLV , after re testing it turned to be it’s FIV . He’s meowing at night since it’s a mating season. He’s a very loud cat and doesn’t get tired from Meowing straight for 12 hrs ( starting 8 Pm till 8 Am) .He’s 5/6 years old and has a respiratory problem which won’t allow him to do any anesthesia/surgery (nurturing) to avoid complications for his health (as stated by the Doc.) . Any ideas might help to sort out this problem because it started to impact our life drastically.
Ps: i tried claming spray ( not effective) , Cat nip spray( not effective) , actual cat nip herbs ( couldn’t care less!!! ) .
He’s not interested in laser, ropes, and/or anything else as a toy . All he wants is to mate!
7602649C-E683-4FDE-9B82-DDEB315E34E4.jpeg

PLEASE HELP

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: That's an awful situation. Can your vet prescribe some sort of hormone therapy? Are you giving him L-lysine and probiotics for immune support? Most of the ferals that I trap do have URI but my vet spays/neuters anyway & gives them a long-lasting antibiotic injection. I haven't lost a feral due to anesthesia yet. He is an absolute prince of a cat & I thank you for rescuing him. If he is too sick for a neuter, there was no way he would last long on the street on his own :headshake: - you are the best:cheerleader::rock::clap::clapcat:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cornell University Veterinary College recommends neutering FIV cats so that they won't breed. They don't mention any risks, but you know the cat and possibly have been told it would be high risk? Personally, I would look for another opinion or a specialty vet who could neuter him. As for short term fixes for a cat who wants to mate, I don't know any.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

has a respiratory problem which won’t allow him to do any anesthesia/surgery
Can you talk to your vet again about whether there are any options regarding anesthesia so that he can be neutered?

Also, try Macks earplugs, a noise machine, music, maybe even fans for their sound (as long as they're placed so they don't create a draft on him or anyone else) to help decrease the impact on you-all of his meowing.

For those who might not be familiar, this article provides more information about FIV;
Fiv In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am no expert but wanted to offer a suggestion. I’ve also turned to this site when I was at a loss and was very lucky to have someone help me.

I have seen that many of the shelters here use “heartbeat” toys for animals that yell through the night. It’s used for anxiety - I don’t know if it would help in this instance but it might be worth a shot.

https://www.smartpetlove.com/shop/comfort-category/snuggle-kitty-tan-tiger/

I also saw this one that’s less expensive by Petstages
Petstages Purr Pillow Kitty for Cats, Multi, One-Size

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, so many great suggestions already! I’d definitely recommend finding out what vet your local Trap/Neuter/Release program uses, or any local org with a focus on ferals. That vet may have a different opinion than the vet you’ve already consulted with.
Right now though you need to sleep! Do you have AirPods or any other earbuds with a noise cancelling feature? If so, (& even if they’re not noise-cancelling!) use them overnight and use the app RelaxMelodies - you can make a sound mix that will drown him out and help you sleep, for free. I love Macks earplugs but when my girl came to me, she wasn’t spayed and she was in heat - and even my trusty Macks weren’t enough for me :eek: That yowling is just otherworldly. Try to put as many layers between him and yourselves as you can overnight, if you need to trap him in a different room - hang curtains over the closed door, for example.

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was remembering a similar situation I had. My husband was working and in night school. The second he left the house our rescued Ragdoll cat would sit at the door and just wail, non-stop until he came home. I was losing my mind. I saw a tv show where a pet behaviorist said to talk back to the cat. I started talking to our howling girl with the same technique I learned in counseling. (I know, I felt like a lunatic at first). I told her I knew she missed him but assured her he’d be back. I acknowledged her frustration. It did get better. In fact, it was the beginning of our friendship, because she did not like me at all when I first met her. She lived to over 22 years and by the end of her life she could just look at us and we’d know what she needed. She trained us well.

I know your boy is more hormone-driven, but I have used this technique with all my cats since and I think it helps. I think cats are smart and respond to the people who are willing to put in the effort, which you obviously are.

We’ve also had good luck with finding music the cat likes. One cat would just bliss out anytime we played Diana Krall “When I Look in Your Eyes”. Our other cat preferred Mozart for Relaxation. It might at least distract your boy a little. I know they’ve done studies of how some classical music can lower blood pressure in some mammals.

It can be so challenging when a cat is thrust into a new environment, no matter that they are now safe and have a chance for a good life - they just feel the change.. Our current cats are sisters whose human died unexpectedly of a heart attack. They knew no other life for 10 years. They cried, with tears, non-stop for a week. They would keep waking us up when we slept, I think to make sure we were alive. But it subsided when they got used to their new life. I know it will get better for you two as well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We’ve also had good luck with finding music the cat likes. One cat would just bliss out anytime we played Diana Krall “When I Look in Your Eyes”. Our other cat preferred Mozart for Relaxation. It might at least distract your boy a little. I know they’ve done studies of how some classical music can lower blood pressure in some mammals.
I love this, plus the talking!