1 Year Old Cat In A Lot Of Pain

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old neutered orange tabby has not been having a good week. We noticed that he was very lethargic and was sleeping a lot about a week ago. It got worse to the point where he wasn't really eating and he would barely move from the same spot. He is an indoor cat and we have another slightly younger male cat. Usually these two chase each other and wrestle morning and night. That completely stopped.

I took him to the vet last Friday and the only thing he could find was that my cat had pain in one spot along his back. He cried out when the vet examined his stomach area and hissed at the vet when he touched a spot about midway up his back. The vet thought maybe he has an abscess forming from rough playing if the younger cat bit him too hard. Couldn't find bite marks. He gave a pain injection and an antibiotic injection.

Orange cat seemed slightly improved over the weekend. He was moving around a little more and ate but still much less than normal. Over the last 24 hours his condition has gone downhill again. He is shaking and vibrating quite a bit and his legs seem to be very weak. He is very slow when walking and it seems to be an effort. He is using the litter box but only a couple of times a day, which I guess makes sense because he isn't eating or drinking much. I take him to the front of the litter box and he goes in and does his business but very slowly. He doesn't want to move to the food but he will eat a little if I put it right under his nose.

Our younger cat was very sweet and patient the first few days that he was sick. They were cuddling together and he wasn't attacking Orange cat to play. Younger cat seemed to get impatient or jealous and started being aggressive over the weekend. He bit the sick cat on the back hard enough to make him cry out and we had to pry him off. He also pushed the sick cat off the cat tree and made him fall on his head from about 4 ft height. So I am sure that did not help matters.

Orange cat doesn't cry out if I massage his back at this point and I never saw any abscess bubble. I am thinking maybe it could be from a fall where the other cat pushed him. We will be at the vet again in a couple of hours. I hope they can find a cause this time.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck at the vet. It does sound more consistent with a fall or bruising injury then an abscess. I have had a ton of abscess experience and totally different experience then what you are describing. I also have never had the experience of my resident cats being the ones to cause each other abscesses; they usually don't break each other's skin.

I would ask for X-rays too just to make sure there isn't something hiding. Not only of the immediate area but also up to the neck in case it is some damage higher up that is affecting lower (my thinking is a pinched nerve type of thing with that).

Other thought would be something internal below the back that is radiating up. Like a blockage or kidney problem.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes. Hopefully your guy is back to his old self soon.:vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got back from the vet.

They did an X ray and a complete blood work panel. X ray looked normal other than like a tiny dark shadow at the part of his back that was hurting. The vet said maybe its a tiny bit of an abscess but not really conclusive. He didn't see any bone injury or anything weird with the digestive tract. His back was shaved in that spot and the skin looked fine, no wound or bite mark.

The bloodwork was also totally normal. He had a fever of 103 when we came in and it was up to 104 by the time we were done. Vet said it is a fever of unknown origin at this point.

He got another pain shot, some cool fluids under the skin and a stronger antibiotic drop to take twice a day. Also some kind of appetite medicine so hopefully he will eat a little more and get some water that way.

If he's not better within 48 hours or so they said we probably need to get him on IV. Poor kitty :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor baby. Hoping he feels better soon.

A bubble would explain the pain but the cause it somewhat concerning. Skin wounds heal incredibly fast so it isn't uncommon to not see the initial injury location. But I am a little concerned that it didn't drain on its own.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had one of those hidden abscess myself and they hurt like hell. No wonder your boy is in pain. The vet may have to surgically drain it since this type of abscess is usually impossible to lance from the surface.

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet seemed to be leaning towards abscess but he wasn't sure. Orange cat never had a bubble or anything that we could feel there.. it is really strange. But he must have some kind of infection if he has a fever. He has been eating more since we got back so that's good at least.

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Orange cat is eating more but otherwise pretty much still the same. The vet wants him in tomorrow morning for hospitalization and IV fluids tomorrow unless he is much improved :(

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! Orange cat perked up quite a bit yesterday evening and overnight. He is behaving a lot more normally today. No need for further vet visits and he will keep taking the antibiotic drops for the next week or two. Hopefully everything will stay fine! Thanks for your help.