1 out of 5 Cats has Loose Stool, Poop Residue

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats.

All 5 are fed the same food. But 1 kitten occasionally has loose stools, scoots and now seems to be having residue on her butt. I took her to the vet just a few days ago and her anal glands were not impacted. I don't suspect worms because the cats all share litter boxes and I don't think only 1 cat could have worms. Plus they're all indoors-only.

I feed them all 4 times per day, every 6hrs. 3 times per day they get Tiki chicken + a packet of chicken/turkey gravy poured over it. 1 time per day they get Reveal chicken (which is just chicken breast) + some small bits of pumpkin puree + a Nacho turkey packet.

Is it possible this one kitten has a food allergy? She goes crazy for the Nacho turkey but I wonder if that is the food she's actually allergic too or if she's allergic to chicken? She seems to prefer turkey but it's hard to figure out because all the foods that have turkey also have chicken in them.

Today after pooping I guess some was stuck to her butt and she tracked it all over the house. She still has some residue today and it's quite smelly. I'm thinking of applying a warm compress as her butt seems quite irritated too.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Much appreciated.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s possible it’s a food allergy or sensitivity. Some people will tell you food allergies present as itchy skin. However, I have a cat that gets loose, smelly stool if he eats chicken. Only chicken. I feed him anything else and his stools are normal. So it’s possible.
Food allergies can be a pain to figure out. My boy has never been officially diagnosed, but trial and error has taught me to keep him away from chicken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoomango

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s possible it’s a food allergy or sensitivity. Some people will tell you food allergies present as itchy skin. However, I have a cat that gets loose, smelly stool if he eats chicken. Only chicken. I feed him anything else and his stools are normal. So it’s possible.
Food allergies can be a pain to figure out. My boy has never been officially diagnosed, but trial and error has taught me to keep him away from chicken.
Oh really interesting thanks a lot for sharing that. That's challenging with chicken since it's in almost every cat food. But I have some rabbit and duck, I'll give those a try.