1 cat gone, other lonely?

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put down my 17 yr old cat yesterday. It was heartbreaking- she was the friendliest lapcat you've ever met. My concern is my 12 yr old, Mischief. I bought them the same day. And while they didn't always get along (Spooky was alpha), they've never been apart in 12 years.

But I'm worried about tomorrow. I honestly don't know if she realizes Spooky isn't coming back. And while she's not a friendly cat (only approaches when she wants you, runs when you try to touch her with 2 hands or hold her), I'm not sure how she'll react to being alone.

So to anyone who's been here, what should I be looking out for? What changes (if any) should I make? I can't imagine that I could get rid of every trace of Spooky, even if I tried.

I thought I was okay with putting Spooky down- just knowing the suffering would be over would be enough to get me through. But now when I think of Mischief being lonely, I feel horrible all over again. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss, I lost my cat when she was a little older than yours. Do you know about the "Crossing the Bridge" sub forum? Sometimes you just need to talk to people who can understand. 

It's difficult to know how an individual cat will deal with grief. I don't have to tell you that they are sensitive to your emotions. Just watch for the obvious things, lack of appetite, sleeping more than usual, lethargy etc. 

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 6 month old that just lost his 7 month old "brother" and am thinking may need another friend. But Lewis loves cats and is very gregarious.  Maybe your 12 year old would like a laid back adult cat?