Meows when I’m gone

Graysons journey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a six-year-old male cat from the APL. He was neutered about three weeks ago. He’s a very big cat. Anyways, when I come home from work, I can hear him meowing in my apartment when I go towards the door. I don’t know if he’s meowing the whole time I’m gone or what.I need him to stop doing that because I don’t want nobody to complain
I know he does not hear me coming in the basement door to my apartment. So he must be meowing not knowing that I’m there.
Any advice?
Thank you, Mary

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surely he hears you coming up the stairs, they can hear much more and better than we can.
The cat in my avatar could hear me coming from far, both when I was driving and when I was walking, and would jump in the window to greet me.
In doubt, can you leave a voice recorder in the apartment when you leave and then listen to the recording when you're back? So you will know what he does when you're gone.

In the apartment two floors above mine they have a large dog that howls most of the time when the owners are away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graysons journey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I put cat t.v. On YouTube when I’m gone. I wonder if that helps.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! I know you said this cat was neutered 3 weeks ago, but how long have you had him? At the age of 6, it may likely take quite a while for him to get comfortable in his new home. So, if you haven't had him long, his meowing may stop as more time passes. I agree with the above, that he likely can hear you coming and is reacting to that, but you can try the recording idea just to see. Aside from letting more time pass, you can try to enrich his environment so that he is less anxious about you being absent.
About Hearing In Cats - Superior Sound Sensitivity - TheCatSite
Separation Anxiety In Cats - Understanding, Experiences, And Tips - TheCatSite
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (Including 10 Actionable Tips) - TheCatSite

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
G Graysons journey

I know I'm reading this thread a few weeks late, but I might suggest making sure he has little spaces around your apartment where he feels the happiest or safest. Since you two are still getting to know each other, you may not know or have created those kinds of spaces yet. But I know for my cat, I have several cat beds around the apartment, sometimes a few cardboard boxes to hide or play in, and a few high shelves and perches for her to choose from. Even putting some of your own worn clothes on the bed or in a corner, which may smell like you, can help a cat to calm down. If your cat is into "push-purring" (or kneading) on blankets or sweaters, you can put a soft fleece blanket on the floor near the front door — the front door being a place of great stress for a lonely cat. It can be comforting to knead on a blanket. Safe toys laying around also can help.